Any talk on a Fate Core like update to LOA?

Moria Firefly

Any talk on a Fate Core like update to LOA?

Post by Moria Firefly » Sun May 12, 2013 5:58 pm

I was guessing that LOA was dead in the water from the last forum. I only saw posts from those of us late to the show or fans from the beginning. I bought the book not too long ago as I found an interest in Fate Core and
know LOA was a previous version of Fate.

Love to have a Fate Core (or close to it) version and when I saw Cubicle 7 moved the LOA board to the new board, thought to ask if anything more will happen with LOA?

MFF

Saint&Sinner

Re: Any talk on a Fate Core like update to LOA?

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri May 17, 2013 2:53 am

This would be a wonderful idea. Maybe Kickstart it if you need to prove the interest...

ReaperWolf

Post by ReaperWolf » Sat May 18, 2013 12:07 am

This is gonna earn me an enemy but honestly I'm hoping C7 doesn't incorporate the Evil Hat's latest iteration of FATE. Frankly, it's too generic and stripped down for my tastes. True there are some nice refinements, worthy of inclusion in a second LoA Companion.

There's this trend among the FATE hipsters to strip/hand wave away all the crunchy bits turning an adventure into a purely narrative experience as opposed to a game. A lot of FATE fans seem to think the crunchy bits like starship and vehicle rules in Starblazer Adventures and LoA are fussy and limiting. Balderdash I say. Those rules frame the setting and provide guidance as opposed to turning n00b players and GMs loose in the vast desert of possibilities that is FATE you can hold their hand a little and say here's how you CAN do it. After the n00bs get familiar and feel comfortable then peel back the layers (or add additional ones!!) till you have the game you WANT to play.

Just my opinion but just because it's new doesn't mean it's better. The folks at C7 did a great job with Starblazers and LoA and I'd like to see the games move forward a bit before they scrap 'em out.

Just my 2 copper pieces,

>>ReaperWolf

Moria Firefly

Post by Moria Firefly » Sat May 18, 2013 12:12 am

ReaperWolf wrote:This is gonna earn me an enemy but honestly I'm hoping C7 doesn't incorporate the Evil Hat's latest iteration of FATE. Frankly, it's too generic and stripped down for my tastes. True there are some nice refinements, worthy of inclusion in a second LoA Companion.

There's this trend among the FATE hipsters to strip/hand wave away all the crunchy bits turning an adventure into a purely narrative experience as opposed to a game. A lot of FATE fans seem to think the crunchy bits like starship and vehicle rules in Starblazer Adventures and LoA are fussy and limiting. Balderdash I say. Those rules frame the setting and provide guidance as opposed to turning n00b players and GMs loose in the vast desert of possibilities that is FATE you can hold their hand a little and say here's how you CAN do it. After the n00bs get familiar and feel comfortable then peel back the layers (or add additional ones!!) till you have the game you WANT to play.

Just my opinion but just because it's new doesn't mean it's better. The folks at C7 did a great job with Starblazers and LoA and I'd like to see the games move forward a bit before they scrap 'em out.

Just my 2 copper pieces,

>>ReaperWolf
I understand that LoA wasn't exactly Fate in it's version, it used elements of Fate. I was hoping for a updated version of LoA with sprinkles of Fate Core but being it's own game too. I totally hear what you are saying Reaper, I'm no Fate hipster and need elements of fantasy to bring in my D&D buddies. Just love to hear if Cubicle 7 is going to do anything more with LoA to improve it. If they went with a Kickstarter for it, I'll be onboard for that.

MFF

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi All,
The FATE market is extremely crowded just now, and really not what it was when Cubicle 7 first became involved. The sheer volume of material available to FATE fans via the FATE core kickstarter means we've been weighing up our options very carefully with regard to what we believe we can usefully bring to the table, and if we have the right teams on hand to do it. That's been an ongoing issue with StarBlazer and Anglerre. Both games are dear to our hearts, and we want to do the right thing by them both.

As ever we'll keep you updated as and when decisions are finalised.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

Moria Firefly

Post by Moria Firefly » Fri May 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Jon Hodgson wrote:Hi All,
The FATE market is extremely crowded just now, and really not what it was when Cubicle 7 first became involved. The sheer volume of material available to FATE fans via the FATE core kickstarter means we've been weighing up our options very carefully with regard to what we believe we can usefully bring to the table, and if we have the right teams on hand to do it. That's been an ongoing issue with StarBlazer and Anglerre. Both games are dear to our hearts, and we want to do the right thing by them both.

As ever we'll keep you updated as and when decisions are finalized.
Thanks Jon for the response back, love to get a updated LOA as my first step away from Pathfinder/D&D mechanics.

MFF

ReaperWolf

Post by ReaperWolf » Sun May 26, 2013 7:28 am

I'm thinking the single most important thing you could do to cultivate interest is get the source fiction into print again. Many of us in the US have never seen Starblazer Adventures or LoA.

In the meantime, thanks for the update Jon!

>>ReaperWolf

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Sun May 26, 2013 8:18 am

ReaperWolf wrote:I'm thinking the single most important thing you could do to cultivate interest is get the source fiction into print again. Many of us in the US have never seen Starblazer Adventures or LoA.
One of the core issues with the lines, but beyond our power to resolve, more's the pity.
ReaperWolf wrote:In the meantime, thanks for the update Jon!

>>ReaperWolf
No problem! This has been one of those on going sagas wherein we haven't had very much we can report without prejudicing our efforts to move forward in the ways we have wanted to.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!