Future system for Cthulhu ranges?

There are things out there, in the weirder reaches of space-time where reality is an optional extra. Horrible things, usually with tentacles. Good thing there's a bureaucracy to deal with them. Based on the Laundry Files novels by Charles Stross. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-laundry/
fritsk

Future system for Cthulhu ranges?

Post by fritsk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Will you go OGL d100'ish like what has happened with Delta Green so things are somewhat compatible or will you be doing something completely new and original?

Hermes Serpent

Re: Future system for Cthulhu ranges?

Post by Hermes Serpent » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Talking with Dom yesterday at Dragonmeet my suggestion was for a D100 compatible system that allows the use of their older material so I believe their thinking goes along those lines (at least at the moment).
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

fritsk

Post by fritsk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:00 pm

Knock on wood then. With an OGL based d100 system C7 won't run the risk of losing the license while keeping the old material functional with minimal fuzz.

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:10 am

The old material could not be sold any longer (after Dec 31, 2017) as it contains Chaosium licensed material but there's nothing to stop C7 using the material in another book with the Chaosium IP removed (and other gribblies substituted) although it would be better to write fresh material more in line with the stated Folk-Horror genre.
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

fritsk

Post by fritsk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Yep, but it would be nice of the old material could be used together with the new stuff without too much hassle.

Jakob

Post by Jakob » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Hermes Serpent wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:10 am
although it would be better to write fresh material more in line with the stated Folk-Horror genre.
Would that imply ditching the Cthulhu Mythos elements? That even might make sense for something like Cthulhu Britannica, but it wouldn't really word for Laundry or WWC ...

Anyway, what existing systems might be possible?

Delta Green - probably the closest fit.

Trail of Cthulhu - no backwards compatibility, still, for me as a Gumshoe fan, a dream come true.

Others?

Doing yet another d100 Cthulhu system next to CoC and Delta Green seems a little strange, although it might be the safest route for C7 if they don't want to be shackled by a licence.

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:22 am

Well the only Mythos elements that would need to be dropped (as they are Chaosium IP or licenced by Chaosium from living authors) are some monsters (and possibly their associated stat blocks). There are OGL D100 systems (Openquest for example) that are so similar to the core COC system that using one of those exactly like the AiME line uses the D&D OGL and with minimal changes or non-OGL additions can match the core CoC system very easily.

Based on actually talking with C7 staffers there seems to be no inclination to use another company's system as they would continue to have to licence that.

Jakob

Post by Jakob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 am

Hermes Serpent wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:22 am
Well the only Mythos elements that would need to be dropped (as they are Chaosium IP or licenced by Chaosium from living authors) are some monsters (and possibly their associated stat blocks).
Yes, that's the way pretty much everyone else is doing it with their Cthulhu rpgs ... I just wondered whether Cthulhu Britannica might achieve to be something more of its own by becoming "Folk Horror Britannica" without any Lovecraftian stuff - maybe turning it into something like "the Arthur Machen RPG" or even "the Inklings with a horror twist" (how would that be for a TOR tie-in?) rpg. And while I like CoC material that introduces elements of folklore, I must say that usually, they don't really gel with the Cthulhu Mythos.
But I actually don't know the line that well, I've only skimmed through the Folklore book, so that impression might be wrong.

With WWC and the Laundry, ditching the Cthulhu stuff is, obviously, not an option.

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:53 pm

There's plenty of British Folklore that would be super creepy and horrifying. I remember reading a lot of Machen back in the day and finding that very unsettling, similarly with Dunsany and Hope-Hodgson.

As for the Laundry I can see a move towards sticking to Lovecraft only monsters (as Charlie obviously does). I'd have to go back through the material and compare any creatures to their appearance in literature (Lovecraft or others, some of whom are potentially not out of copyright) before deciding that it would be hard to remove the Chaosium IP. The BRP and Chaosium logos would go but using say Openquest with some tweaks to make magic and technology work ala the books would work for me.

It would all depend upon if they did a new core book with all the new rules or said get Openquest (or whatever) and these tweaks will give you a great game. It will be down to how much of a market they see. Laundry tends to be UK specific AFAICT occupying a similar niche to Delta Green in the US and the sales may not warrant republishing a new core book maybe just a pamphlet to do conversions for people who already have the material.

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:06 pm

You could also exploit the fact that the laundry does have portals to other dimensions, which would allow you to create an interdimensional section that explores other Worlds, whose creatures sometimes come to earth.
There would be no hindrance in creating lovecraftian beings by letting them be extraplanatory beings and Space aliens rather than the original mythos...

I've made plenty of dimensions on my own, some with mythos, and some without.
My post ("GREEN VEIL" Another dimension!) is a nice casestudy in how this could be done.