Weird coincidence, deliberate? Mind blown.

There are things out there, in the weirder reaches of space-time where reality is an optional extra. Horrible things, usually with tentacles. Good thing there's a bureaucracy to deal with them. Based on the Laundry Files novels by Charles Stross. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-laundry/
sleepydude

Weird coincidence, deliberate? Mind blown.

Post by sleepydude » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:48 pm

So, uh, hi! I was looking to pickup some physical books (grabbed the pdf's from the Humble Bundle recently), so I went looking on Amazon, none of my local shops have them and I'm in Canada so ordering from the source would be difficult.

So anyway, something drew me to click on the author listed for Unconventional Diplomacy; Jack Graham. When I noticed his profession, and the name of his association, I thought this has to be a hoax. My only conclusion is that God Game Black is real.

Either that, or the author is a pen name deliberately chosen because of a happy coincidence.

wickeddarkman

Re: Weird coincidence, deliberate? Mind blown.

Post by wickeddarkman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:57 pm

It's a nice coincidence, I'll grant you that :D

How ever, jack is a widespread name, and graham's also a pretty widespread surname, so it's probably just
a very likely coincidence, not even scaling on the real absurd.

I once built a simulator to study the effects of "unlikely happenings".
It was textbased, but would describe a waitinghall in which various types of people would walk in and out of the room. Each individual would have several triggers to unfold a story within the room, and I let the computer track everytime these stories unfold.

For example:

If three neonazi's and a jew happened to be alone in the waiting room, the jew would be turned into a victim of violence for some time, and then die if not rescued.

Another character would coincidentally be a medic, so if he entered the room after the incident, he could stabilize the victim and call for an ambulance giving the victim a better percentage of surviving.

Other characters would be an allergic and a bee.

When I had designed a lot of different story interactions between all characters I let the simulation run.

In the end, it turned out that the more that things could interact, the more "unique" happenings would happen.

So when you look at how much weird stuff there happens out there in the world, it's basically just due to us being nummerous, nothing else :D

sleepydude

Post by sleepydude » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:12 am

Oh, of course, but for it to share a profession on the scale of god game black, which also shares the name with a major plot point for the Jennifer morgue...Makes you wonder lol

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:32 am

You can use it in your game if you are the master, after all the whole "the laundry" rulesbook is treated like laundry's secrets are revealed as an rpg!