Sorcery Duels

There are things out there, in the weirder reaches of space-time where reality is an optional extra. Horrible things, usually with tentacles. Good thing there's a bureaucracy to deal with them. Based on the Laundry Files novels by Charles Stross. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-laundry/
thorr-kan

Sorcery Duels

Post by thorr-kan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:06 pm

Has anybody stress-tested the magic rules with fighting mages? I'd like to hear if you playtested the rules or if something happened in your campaign.

I just finished rereading RC, and I'm wondering about what happened between Angleton and the master PHANG. I'd like to see how well the system models that. I don't know the BRP rules well enough to make any guesses. (While we use BRP for some of the Friday Night Gaming, it's more investigation and Weird Stuff, not psi and magic.)

wickeddarkman

Re: Sorcery Duels

Post by wickeddarkman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:34 pm

My group doesn't use the rules from "the laundry" because I've got a complete magic system already which is a hybrid between COC and my own inventions, but I can make a very qualified guess...

I don't know how the battle between angleton and phang goes, but it sounds like it's something advanced, and everything advanced involves MICRO'S. Many micro's basically conditioned enchantments that react to specific situations, like a micro that creates a lvl 5 ward "if it is needed", or a micro that fires an entropy spell "when I do the OK sign with my hand" Without knowing the battle I figure this is what you need! :D Every micro is simply a spell waiting for something planned to happen, so advanced beings or villains have a lot of very smartly designed micro's.