Haunting State

There are things out there, in the weirder reaches of space-time where reality is an optional extra. Horrible things, usually with tentacles. Good thing there's a bureaucracy to deal with them. Based on the Laundry Files novels by Charles Stross. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-laundry/
crikeymiles

Haunting State

Post by crikeymiles » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:54 pm

I'm likely not the first to do this, but I'm starting my first campaign of The Laundry Files this month, and I wanted a short teaser adventure to run in the time left after character creation during the first session.

For lulz, I've knocked up a quick conversion of the classic Call Of Cthulhu scenario “The Haunting” for this purpose. It's a little bit abridged, but hopefully others might find a use for it:

The Laundry Files: Haunting State (PDF)

Cheers,
Mike
http://crikeymiles.tumblr.com
New Laundry employee? Get your @capitallaundryservices.co.uk email address here: http://capitallaundryservices.co.uk

-- IT Support

wickeddarkman

Re: Haunting State

Post by wickeddarkman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:05 am

You've forgotten the shambler's ability to drag victims to other dimensions and leave them there.
It's a very good classic though :D

Did you by the way add the shambler? I don't seem to recall it being there in the original.

Ghosts are used by multiple masters, and I've had my own scenario's with them.
If you ever need it I can recall plenty of ghostlike powers.

Since the player's are hunting ghosts, you may add some ghosthunter "weaponry"

BELLS: Attracts the attention of ghosts because their sound cary into the afterlife (Some bells can be heard FROM the afterlife), and ringing a bell will have most ghosts turn up out of curiosity, however 5% of all ghosts may have been tried to be caught after ringing a bell, and so, these ghosts will react with instantanious violence towards the ringer.

BOOK: Any large religious tome may do. A player with religion may use their favorite text and belief, read it aloud and roll the d100.
Any special success will cause the spirit to lose 2d6 pow, and if it goes below 0 it will instantly be laid to rest even if earthly remains haven't been burried.
A normal success will let the ghost roll a current powX3 roll, and if this fails it will lose d6 pow. If it goes below 0 pow it will be banished for d10 years, but will not occur again if it's earthly remains have been laid to rest before the banishing expires.
A failure will make the ghost angry at the reader.
A fumble will make the ghost angry at anyone present AND it gains d6 pow permanently, making it harder to excorcise next time.

BOTTLE: Anyone with sorcery of at least 5% will know how to catch a ghost in a bottle.
The ghost has to be present, and once the one performs the ritual, someone has to roll agility to slam the cork into the bottle. However, ghosts with telekinetic powers may force out the cork unless it's been enchanted by someone with at least 25% sorcery. This will catch most ghosts, but some are able to use greater telekinesis to shatter the bottle, and some may even have the power to shatter glass.

CANDLES: Tends to flicker when a ghost is present, so players without thaumometers may go cheap with these. Some ghosts are able to create places with cold, heat or even breezes, so a candle may flicker due to this, rather than to a presence, and this may also occur naturally in drafty houses.

MIRROR: Mirrors can sometimes work as portals to or from the dimension of afterlife, but this mostly demands that reality is sort of fragile in the area where the mirror is possitioned, either by thaumaturgical remnants or small worldly rifts. If these conditions are there, someone can hide behind the mirror, ring a bell and smash it when the ghost enters it out of curiosity. (This demands a difficult brawl/weapon skill). Then someone must cover the shards with some material (demanding a difficult agility) so the ghost will soon be lost inside the afterlife. If any of this fails, the ghost will escape and never again willingly enter a mirror, and if it has the abilities it will smash all future mirrors in it's presence.

crikeymiles

Post by crikeymiles » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:53 am

Thanks! This is a mashup of the 6e and 7e versions of the scenario, plus material of my own invention and feedback from playtesting.

I did add the shambler, yes! I didn't end up needed it during the first session, but then again this was only one player and the final villian was much too powerful! :)

Having said that, it was the bed that did most of the damage to him! :D
New Laundry employee? Get your @capitallaundryservices.co.uk email address here: http://capitallaundryservices.co.uk

-- IT Support

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:27 am

Sometimes it's the most unexpected thing that kills the players.
I once blew the whole team up in a donut shop bomb incident. lots of cops died too. I was certain that I had calculated an average damage that would be survivable, but it got them all below 0, so I had them roll luck to see if anyone were present with first aid and medical skills, and there were, but then I set their skills too low and all rolls failed. My players have taunted me endlessly about that bomb :D

tinman

Post by tinman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:07 am

crikeymiles wrote:I'm likely not the first to do this, but I'm starting my first campaign of The Laundry Files this month, and I wanted a short teaser adventure to run in the time left after character creation during the first session.

For lulz, I've knocked up a quick conversion of the classic Call Of Cthulhu scenario “The Haunting” for this purpose. It's a little bit abridged, but hopefully others might find a use for it:
cheers, I'm rebooting my Laundry campaign soon and will have a couple of Residual Human Resource candidates ^H^H^H^H newbies so this is a nice gentle intro for them, a refresher for the others and a no-brainer for me!

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:13 am

No scenario is player-proof, so there's no such thing as a gm "nobrainer".

tinman

Post by tinman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:25 am

wickeddarkman wrote:No scenario is player-proof, so there's no such thing as a gm "nobrainer".
true dat