Saying hello and looking for a little advice :)

There are things out there, in the weirder reaches of space-time where reality is an optional extra. Horrible things, usually with tentacles. Good thing there's a bureaucracy to deal with them. Based on the Laundry Files novels by Charles Stross. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-laundry/
Benxi

Saying hello and looking for a little advice :)

Post by Benxi » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:54 am

So firstly, hello! I've been meaning to post here for a while, but just didn't get round to it.

I picked up the laundry files in august out of interest more than anything, and completely fell in love with the concept, so much so that i decided to try and run a game with my normal group.

As this is the first time i am GMing anything, i decided to come looking here for some advice. My players all generated characters separately, and of course they all chose 'nutter' as their character (personality?). now this isn't too much of an issue save for one character, this guy is basically a murderous psychopath. the only reason he hasn't killed anybody yet is because when he tried he got absolutely floored (by all rights should have died, but luckily that slid into the story well).

my question is any suggestions on how to deal with him? or how might the laundry react should one of their internal officers is found out as a murderer. as it is they have got a bit of a reputation in the office as the noobies who took out a lvl 4 (they didn't, but again, another story).

apologies for the rambling, and thanks ahead of time for any suggestions :)

P.S. Any other suggestions about GMing either in general or in the laundry setting is also massively appreciated!

Hermes Serpent

Re: Saying hello and looking for a little advice :)

Post by Hermes Serpent » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:56 am

Unfortunately with all your players choosing nutter it's obvious that they have no interest in playing the game and just want to derail you with as much murderous mayhem as possible. Kick them from the game or don't run it again for them. They'll probably be happier playing Murderhobo.

You'll get suggestions about discussing the game with them but it sounds iike they are all immature timewasters.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Benxi

Post by Benxi » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:26 am

Sorry, I probably should have explained a little better.

Everybody making their characters seperately probably caused this, due to them not discussing with each other what kind of character they would play.
Now i would say that two of the three are actually playing it very well, trying to carry on with some degree of normality after seeing a bit too much behind the veil.
And yes, i have one problem character, i'd rather not kick him outright as he is a friend as well. I suppose i always have the option of talking to him, but dont want to force him to play his character differently, so i was looking for more in game repercusions.
Unsure wether the laundry would consider 're-programming' him or just throw him in some prison for cultists.

sorry if it seems like im ignoring your advice, but i probably didnt give the best impression of them in the first post, they are a great group and ive played with them almost 5 years now with no real issues.

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:45 am

If you've read any of Charlie's fiction then you know what the Laundry do with recalcitrant staffers. The Residual Human Resources division get a new member of staff.

Seriously talk to him and tell him that he's derailing the game. If he persists have him be collateral damage with 21 SAS shooting him in a Blue on Blue incident so he can generate a new character with his old one turning up from time to time as a RHR npc.

This is a good reason for a shared character generation session. It would have avoided a all this anguish. I generally don'y allow 'nutter' as a choice for player characters to keep this sort of thing from happening.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Benxi

Post by Benxi » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:15 am

Making my way through the books, but only just on the fuller memorandum now.

Cheers for the advice, I reckon just a brief chat should sort it out.

As for the character gen, yea in hindsight, bad idea... but i guess its all a learning experience.

Beran

Post by Beran » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:56 am

Have to agree to the suggestion above. Talk to the player in question, and let him know what he is doing to the game. If he persists then, to use a term from Delta Green, give the Character a 9mm Retirement Package and have the player start from scratch.

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:36 am

I've had a history of running pretty hostile campaigns allowing players to infight and sabotage each others, I ran those games at a border school with more than 10 players divided into several teams and occasionally real life violence would erupt from characters dying in the game.

You need to adress the problem with everyone present, and depending on the purpose of your gaming sessions you will need to announce wether or not the overall game is going to be cooperative or not.

If you settle for a cooperative game, whenever a player does something truly hostile, you simply state that the action is overuled as the game is ment to be cooperative, and the agressive player will soon relax and cooperate due to grouppressure :D

The laundry itself is likely to put a geas on the player character that will bring him pain whenever he has murderous thoughts on civilians or teammates, giving him full range against hostiles. Other solutions will be to put a level 2-3 friendly possessor into the player that takes over when he tries something nasty, and equip the other players with tazers and extra warding. Weird stuff like a deastiny entanglement that harms the player whenever his teammates are hurt will be freakish when the group engages hostiles or when he attacks his own team, but it may bring out some fun roleplaying. Technical solutions might be to implant some explosives that are held of by his teammates heartbeats.

Benxi

Post by Benxi » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, I had a quick chat with him and imposed some ingame mechanics to suggest why his character might suddenly change, basically like you said wickeddarkman i inflicted a gaes upon him, requiring permisison from either his supervisor or someone than higher rank before he can perform an act of violence, if he doesnt comply then RHR gets a new employee.
The player basically apologised with no issues so it should hopefully all be good from here in.

I do really enjoy the idea of a destiny entaglement, sounds like it could be alot of fun so might have to steal it for a story.

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:35 am

Destiny entanglement is not my invention, and not even chales stross's
(The earliest version of "damage entanglement" in moves I know of is from cheese and chong)

There are many forms of destiny entanglement and stross's version involves a sort of plot-destiny entanglement with the villain entangling himself so he can only be defeated by a bond-like character, causing all involved parties to act like they are in a bond movie :D