Numerous Errors in hardback book...

There are things out there, in the weirder reaches of space-time where reality is an optional extra. Horrible things, usually with tentacles. Good thing there's a bureaucracy to deal with them. Based on the Laundry Files novels by Charles Stross. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-laundry/
Akayllin

Numerous Errors in hardback book...

Post by Akayllin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:15 am

So far it seems as I have made a poor purchase... All I haven't gotten past the character creation section and I have seen tons of errors in the book already. The downloadable character sheet on the cubicle7 site has errors too and the forums here are pretty much dead as well :\ Is there an updated pdf version of the book I can download with these errors fixed? So far I've seen:

PDF character sheet on main site listing "APP" where "CHA" should be in the top right, listed correctly in the book. The book lists on pages 17 and 21 that the language skill is EDU x 5, yet the sheet lists it as INT x 5. On the sheets it lists fast talk's base chance as 05% yet the book says it has a base chance of 15% on page 18, and more.

Really like the premise of this game and would like to play but so far quality is pretty lacking :(

wickeddarkman

Re: Numerous Errors in hardback book...

Post by wickeddarkman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:09 am

This place is not totally dead :D There are some core fans, and I'm among them.
I've been posting lots of material and have experience in making up my own games, so for me and my friends it's a case of openly discussing the rules, and rooting out all the flaws one by one by making adjustments.

If you are the gamemaster I can suggest that you have two core rulebooks and in one of them you make a lot of corrections, side notes and page references.

Since there IS a lot of errors we can exchange solutions in here, and wait for a bigger fanbase to fix the problems in unision.

I've also got rid of some of the more annoying parts of the game, especially the all too random access to equipment, replacing it instead with an easy pointbased system which satisfy the players much better than them asking for all of the equipment for half an hour roling dice for it while I cross of the items on a premade list for that specific purpose.

Give me a nodge if you need any scenario seeds. I shocked some people in here when telling them that me and my group could run through 6-8 scenarios on a single day. I'm a speedy creator.

Read some of my past posts, and if you need me to expand on any material, I'll take it up.

And welcome to the site. we are really few so far...

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:28 am

It's interesting how quiet this forum is - The Laundry is one of our best selling lines, and each supplement does really well. I suspect, like with all our Cthulhu related stuff people are doing a lot more playing than posting.

In all honesty it's hard to give much meaningful commentary on the quality of the corebook - it's from what feels like another age of the company. We're certainly sorry you're disappointed in it, Akayllin. I'll see if we can't find some time to look into an update for the PDF version, or at least an errata list. I'll get in touch with Gar, the line developer and see what he thinks.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

Akayllin

Post by Akayllin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:19 pm

Thank you both for your replies. I am new to the game and have not yet been able to finish the book but in line to your suggestion wickeddarkman, I believe I will keep a list of corrections to accompany the core book (I also bought god_game_black but have yet to get around to reading it. If you want I can try and set up a google doc or something that we can edit with corrections as I comb through the book so that we can have a master collected list. The old forums had some corrections we can dig through too.

Thank you for the welcome and I shall certainly look at your past posts for inspiration. I was going to start off by running through some of the pre-made book missions just to get a feel for GMing The Laundry at first but seeds would be nice for future use :)

Jon, either an update or official errata list would be nice. There is another person at the game shop near me who owns the books too, I shall consult with him if I see him about any errata he might have collected over his play time.

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:17 am

Many slips can be sorted by referring to the BRP BGB 4e where the BRP rules were taken from. Other rules have been changed and no longer resemble the BRP originals. Checking through the old archives is well worth it as there are some clarified explanations of how things like spell casting through a phone work and other material that is not so clear in the book.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:46 am

HERMES SERPENT:
Do you know of anyone who has done extensive work in fixing rules? Namedropping a few individuals might kick of some searches in the right direction. It might also rekindle their interrest in the rules an bring them back to the forum :D

AKAYLIN:
I'm more of a fixer than a researcher, and like to experiment with breaking the ordinary rules through magic spells or artisfacts. My players sometimes complain when I give them something too powerfull to play with, but in general I mainly fix stuff by making up more simplyfied rules on certain areas, and in other areas I make up pretty complex rules which are beyond the laundry's usual rulessystem. For example we have implemented my entirely homemade magic system instead of the one provided by the laundry. I have more than 300 active spells and are aiming for a slowdown at 500. If I'm to have a role in fixing rules it won't be as a prime proofreader, but I am willing to go through the notes I have gathered in my own book and post it on a site, provided that it is easilly accessible :D

JON HODGSON:
Me and my friends have discussed why the forum is so "dead" and I believe that most buyers out there are within the "mature" range, which means a lot of them skipped out on the internet revolution. I remember how I got into it myself, so in future expansions try referring to the fact that you have these forums, and a lot more should start to turn up in here. I have been roaming through some of the current users, and have observed that large amounts of users are actually sales-bots, (A lot of them are also related to laundering) so the actual number of users in here is a lot lower than the one registered numerically :(

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 am

Gar Hanrahan (C7's Laundry Line Developer) has posted some good stuff clearing up intent in many cases. Most players are familiar with the (BRP) system behind Laundry rules and can make a decision on-the-fly during a game if they feel they need to. The main thing about the rules is that another editing pass or two might have been worth the time to root out some inconsistencies.

Positing that players are 'mature' individuals who can't use a computer is a load of codswallop. After starting with a kit computer in the 1970's (before the ZX81!) I worked on computers for much of my life including a spell writing software for the US Manned Space Program and NASA. Supporting missions like Cassini and several Mars missions are in my CV besides loads of Shuttle missions and other space launches to orbit. So I can knock that premise on the head. Also I know of a young group in the 17 to 19 age range who ran a Laundry campaign for close to two years with only occasional questions that were more about background and technology than rules.

I have no interest in huge numbers of 'spell's as I don't run my Laundry games that way, the players are never 'necromancers' or 'sorcerers'. Reading the books shows that it's about an ordinary 'joe' against the horrors rather than super wizards. Although if you want to play that way it's your game.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:22 am

HERMES:
In case you didn't notice, the spells part wasn't ment for you. But to outline the reasons behind such a number I can tell you that I've been mastering for about 20 years and build my worlds large and mainly based on what players want to play with. Spells are not entirely for the sake of players, as they usually tend to collect only about 3-6 spells (Learning spells means gaining mythos = losing sanity permanently) The gamers could settle with their own little selection indefinitelly and usually takes a long time to make even a single change in their spell-lists. The real resaon why I got so many spells are the villains! Villains do cool surprising stuff and brings intensity to the game by doing something the players don't suspect, sometimes by using something old in a new way. Since I also run a lot of small adventures (currently 4-6 at an evening) it means that the players would quickly get tired of watching the opposition using the same old "withering limbs" spell for the 10th time in a row which would be the setup offered by NOT having 300+ spells. Last session my players captured a suspected mage who had a spell that covers everything not in motion with a thick layer of ice, and he surprised them by attemting to use it in an disarming way (Frosting their gunbarrels and covering the grund in ice making meele complicated) The layer of ice also added armor so after this experience the players discussed the basis of using this spell inside a car when ramming a target, or outside a car to blind a driver and make them crash. I take notes of stuff like this and so that single new spell potentially brings new life to several future combats.

As for the "matures not using computers" It was more meant as "matures not using the internet" You and I are using the internet, but can you speak for huge amounts of people? In Denmark there's an attempt to bring all citizens onto the net within a few years and time will tell if it will work.