Writing for the Laundry Files

There are things out there, in the weirder reaches of space-time where reality is an optional extra. Horrible things, usually with tentacles. Good thing there's a bureaucracy to deal with them. Based on the Laundry Files novels by Charles Stross. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-laundry/
Mytholder

Writing for the Laundry Files

Post by Mytholder » Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 am

Interested in writing for the Laundry Files?

We're not actively soliciting proposals right now, but if you've got a great idea for an adventure or sourcebook, or if you've been possessed by an alien intelligence from beyond space and time and want to share your inhuman knowledge, please get in touch. We're especially interested in hearing from writers and/or entities who have a good knowledge of the Cthulhu Mythos, modern day espionage, science or British politics.

If you are interested in submitting a proposal, please PM (Private Message) Gareth Hanrahan (aka Mytholder), Cubicle 7's Line Developer for the Laundry Files, directly.
Gareth Hanrahan
Line Developer - Laundry Files

wickeddarkman

Re: Writing for the Laundry Files

Post by wickeddarkman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 am

I shamelessly suggest a very large monstrous compendium :mrgreen:

Also, a book focussing on the other dimensions/parallel worlds avaiable is something that to my knowledge was never done by chaosium, even though the mythos has enough references to build up several worlds. (nodge)

A book covering the occult hotspots of the world could also be a good idea, especially covering a lot of world politics, since I don't know much about that and my players really want stuff like that.

An expanding book covering more cults and tomes, and especially powerfull artisfacts will come natural at some point. It may or may not include a few cultloving exonomes.

How close to chaosium are cubicle 7 ?
It stands to reason that their bestsellers will be potentially good to base your own expansive work upon. And they got lot's of material :)

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:33 pm

One thing about licensed material that you may not be aware of is that licensees have the final say on what goes into any material for publication. Charlie Stross get's to vet what C7 put out and in return they get advance access to his new material. Similarly Chaosium may well determine what is permissible under the terms of their agreement with C7 that allows them to use the BRP logo.

Charlie may not allow material that isn't in his material or that is at odds with what he has written. Chaosium might not allow material that competes with their own publications.

This approval process has delayed several publications from C7 (TOR and Dr. Who spring immediately to mind).

If you want something like that you describe write a proposal to C7 and see if they want to publish it or can in fact publish it.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:12 am

I was thinking on how muddy the borderlines between two companies would be.

The implications with stross was not something I considered, but that can be a great asset depending on the man's mood. If he is to review material he might get inspiration for more novels/books which is good, on the other hand it will be a workload pushed down on him that will make him grumpy saying no, just to get the materials away so he can focus on his authorships.

Stuff like the above should be easy for C7 to see where permits will take them, and stross'es connection to the mythos might increase as a result. Sort of a win/win.

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:45 am

Most important wish from gamemasters must of course be lots of scenarios.

preferrable made with mission generators so that it shows...

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:32 am

So, is there any deadline, follow-up to this thing?

Ansiltor

Post by Ansiltor » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:40 am

How would you post an attached file on here, Ive been working on some fluff with regards to sorcery Kind of like an introduction paper if it was classroom based, No game mechanics but perhaps an insight into my understanding of advanced sorcery and mental magic. Its about 40KB word file!

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:14 am

Can't post an attachment here. Host it somewhere else (Google Drive, Dropbox etc ) and post a link with an explanation to avoid it being regarded as possible spam.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Ansiltor

Post by Ansiltor » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:11 am

Here is my interpretation on how a classroom based sorcery written text would look, Its not finished and perhaps a bit nieve as I wrote it before reading any of Mr Stross's literature https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0hql ... nRSODZhbkU

Anna Noack

Post by Anna Noack » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Ansiltor wrote:Here is my interpretation on how a classroom based sorcery written text would look, Its not finished and perhaps a bit nieve as I wrote it before reading any of Mr Stross's literature https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0hql ... nRSODZhbkU
Thanks for sharing. Personally I think your interpretation is very interesting.
If you can't fly then run. If you can't run then walk. If you can't walk then crawl. Whatever you do, keep moving forward.