Laundry - Area Wards questions

There are things out there, in the weirder reaches of space-time where reality is an optional extra. Horrible things, usually with tentacles. Good thing there's a bureaucracy to deal with them. Based on the Laundry Files novels by Charles Stross. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-laundry/
johnbrea

Laundry - Area Wards questions

Post by johnbrea » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:54 pm

The description says that Area Wards "protect against all magic with a POW that is less than or equal to the ward's". Is that POW reference a typo and should instead say level?

Does "protect against all magic" nullify that magic or just the effects of the magic. For example, if someone with a Glamour enters a building protected with an area ward, does the Glamour spell itself get dispelled or just become ineffective/supressed whilst the person is in the building? I'm assuming it's just supressed in the same way that the same person outside the building would not have any effect on viewers looking out of the protected building.

Hermes Serpent

Re: Laundry - Area Wards questions

Post by Hermes Serpent » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:14 am

Page 145 RH column - Area Wards 2nd paragraph "Area wards are very simple affairs. Each ward has a POW score. "
Table page 135 RH column labelled Spell Levels and POW.

E.G. A Level 2 Ward has a POW value of 14 and thus can resist spells having a POW of 14 or less.

It could be a little more clear but you work with what you have until a rewrite for C7's new D100 system appears.

As far as dispelling or removing effects when entering a warded area that's really a GM call. I would eliminate effects as that is what a Ward is designed for but YMMV.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon