Tian Xia 1: Xianyang

Discover the mysteries of this acclaimed French RPG from 7th Circle games. Adventure in a world inspired by historical detail and martial arts action. You are already a Hero—become a Legend. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/qin/
ethelion

Tian Xia 1: Xianyang

Post by ethelion » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if Tian Xia 1: Xianyang is out? As its on the website for Dec 2012 but there is no way to buy it?

Thanks

Ovid

Re: Tian Xia 1: Xianyang

Post by Ovid » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:10 pm

It's not. It's apparently in translation, but the various game lines take turns to publish stuff, AFAIK, so it'll be a while before it gets released, disappointingly. You'd need to pick it up in French, if you want to use it immediately.

Corone

Post by Corone » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Yes, Tian Xia: Xangyang is still in translation, although it is coming on apace.
Some years ago we were *somewhat* overly optimistic about how long translations would take,
so Tian Xia 1 was offered as a preorder waaaaayyyyy too early.
We have updated our systems substantially since that age.

So it will be a little while before Tian Xia comes out,
The Keltia Corebook and Makkura for Kuro will be ahead of it.
Nine Worlds for Yggdrasill should be on the way soon too.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

ethelion

Post by ethelion » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:31 am

Ok, thanks for letting me know!

fbnaulin

Post by fbnaulin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi, how is the translation going?
Recreatividad is my blog in spanish, I write about roleplaying games, specially The One Ring, Mouse Guard, Diaspora and Prince Valiant. You can find custom characters sheets there.

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:21 pm

fbnaulin wrote:Hi, how is the translation going?
As always, keep an eye on the website - we'll post updates about the progress of projects when we have news, but in the meantime please be patient. If we've not posted an update, it means we have no news!

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:06 am

With Keltia's release being delayed to progress the follow up books in that line, does this mean that Tian Xia 1 will be delayed also?

Next month, we are about to hit the two year anniversary of Art of War's release, which itself was released in just under 2 years from the Bestiary. TBH it still surprises me that it takes C7 over 2 years to translate each of these 120-140 page books from French. Its almost like there only one or two translators working on all these lines.

At this rate, we won't see Wudan and Shaolin until 2019 :cry:
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after." - Thorin Oakenshield

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:08 am

Keltia's delay has not had any impact on Tian Xia - or any other book for that matter. As we've said elsewhere, we work on many different products all at once, but delays on one do not impact overly on another.

But, translating a complex book like a gaming supplement or rulebook from a foreign language is hard - especially translating it well - and we only work with the best translators we can. At any one time a translator might be working on several products at once, which means it can take a year or more to completely translate a text. Then, once a text is translated, our editors have to read it very carefully to make sure it reads like native English, and not just translated French (there is a distinction, I promise you).

We could certainly up the rate at which we released books in these lines, but it'd come at the cost of cutting the quality to up the speed - and I hope you know us better than that by now.

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Andrew wrote:We could certainly up the rate at which we released books in these lines, but it'd come at the cost of cutting the quality to up the speed - and I hope you know us better than that by now.
Good to hear that Tian Xia isn't delayed :)

I know that C7 favours quality over quantity and I appreciate that. However, even taking that into account, the speed of release for books that are written (albeit in another language) and have their art and layout assets already seems remarkably slow. It seems as if the number of translators being utilised is too few or some other form of low prioritisation is being given to these lines (which may be justifiable due to low sales etc).

I had hoped with recent comments about restructuring the production process on these lines that we would have seen some improvement on speed, but things actually seem to be slowing down. The gap between Qin Bestiary and Art of War was 20 months. The gap between Art of War and Tian Xia 1 now exceeds 24 months. I expect that this is due to the expansion of the number lines to be translated without a corresponding increasing the translator pool.

I know nothing said here will change things. My concern is that both Qin and Kuro suffered a premature death in my local gaming community as many people saw them as a "dead" game before the first supplement was released. Whether a "dead" game is reason to play an RPG or not, it is a common perception. I passed on Yggdrasil as a result. I am very interested in Keltia but I am having to reconsider as it will be a real struggle to get players.
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after." - Thorin Oakenshield

Corone

Post by Corone » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:07 pm

We are doing as much as possible with the resources at hand.
Translation is a very long process and the Qin books are significantly larger than some of the other lines, hence their slower pace.
The team works hard to get these out as soon as possible, and we remain committed to producing all the lines.
However we have chosen to prioritise quality over speed which leads to longer delays.
I'm sorry you feel unable to continue enjoying these lines, but we are doing everything we can to get the books out as soon as possible.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops