A Language Question and Others...

Discover the mysteries of this acclaimed French RPG from 7th Circle games. Adventure in a world inspired by historical detail and martial arts action. You are already a Hero—become a Legend. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/qin/
YingJanshi

A Language Question and Others...

Post by YingJanshi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:00 pm

Was just wondering if anyone else feels like there should be a lingua franca for characters? If your campaign takes place in only one nation, then it doesn't really matter if they can't speak more than one language. But if your campaign involves characters traveling around a lot, not being able to speak to anyone could seriously hamper the game (or add interesting story hooks).
So for my games I always give a few free points to know Zhou. It was the language of the preceding dynasty, so it seems to make sense that it would be a well traveled language. But if players want more than basic fluency, they'll have to pay for it.
Any thoughts?

(Also, any news about new products? This game seems rather dormant... :/)

Wagyora

Re: A Language Question and Others...

Post by Wagyora » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:54 pm

In this specific case, perhaps I would sacrifice realism and assume that all states' languages would be mutually understandable, to make things simpler and more dynamic.
"For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest." Fëanor

Corone

Re: A Language Question and Others...

Post by Corone » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:30 pm

You might also consider the other languages to be dialects rather than different languages.
So you can usually get the gist of what other people are saying if you pay attention
(with the possible exception of the Northern peoples)
but the GM can decide that sometimes you can't get what they are whispering about.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops