Anachronisms for the story

Discover the mysteries of this acclaimed French RPG from 7th Circle games. Adventure in a world inspired by historical detail and martial arts action. You are already a Hero—become a Legend. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/qin/
pelorus

Anachronisms for the story

Post by pelorus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:01 pm

I was wondering whether there were specific anachronisms that make for a better story. I think QIN is ripe for this considering there's a Shaolin and Wudang supplement (the former founded in the 5th C, the latter in the 14th C).

The specific one I'm working on is in the use of electricity and fireworks. What about your games?

Wagyora

Re: Anachronisms for the story

Post by Wagyora » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:58 pm

If it makes your game more fun, why not? Chopsticks (for eating, not for cooking or getting food from the pan) and noodles didn't exist during that time, and yet they're mentioned on the core book.
"For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest." Fëanor

Corone

Post by Corone » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:32 pm

I should probably point out that Shaolin and Wudung isn't just a supplement,
it is a new setting for the world centuries years after the Qin campaign. :)
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

kairos

Post by kairos » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Ah, Corone!

My French-illiterate heart breaks a little every time you mention S&W. :(

I'm no history scholar. I'm usually guided by the books and films I've read. I honestly don't sweat the details like that. But yeah, chopsticks have been used as weapons in my game. :)

Dulahan

Post by Dulahan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Yeah, Shaolin et Wudang is set during the Qianlong Emperor's reign in the Qing dynasty - IIRC in @1750, though for some reason a specific date of 1766 jumps to mind (Said emperor reigned from 1735-1796), I'm probably wrong on the date. It's been years since I last cracked the book, and while I can read french, it takes some effort. Either way, it's around the midway point of his reign. So, 2000 years after Qin. It's almost an entirely different game, and a lot more focused on the Martial Arts side of things too.

Another way to think of it? This is the same rough era as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

The saddest part to me is that IT is the Wuxia Game people have wanted. It's amazing for it. There's NOTHING but the rules in original Qin to even tie them together. Which is still another reason I'd love for this one to be fast tracked and released before the rest of Qin, it's not a "Set campaign" - because again, this is an entirely different era. And it's really, really, REALLY good.

To be fair, a good GM could probably do an interesting interweaving story with your characters at the "Dawn of the Xia" creating Legends that Characters in the S&W era hark to, even finding some of their artifacts or martial arts scrolls.

Another way to think of it? Qin is the "Dawn of Wuxia" - while Shaolin & Wudan is the "Twilight of Wuxia" so to say.

kairos

Post by kairos » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:16 pm

It occurred to me I've been waiting for the translation since I got Qin in 2009. I could have learned French by now enough to read the original. :) Maybe I should start now anyway...

Dulahan

Post by Dulahan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:14 pm

I pretty much did. Reading it isn't even particularly hard. Speaking, yes. Due to pronunciation and the likes. But reading? You already know 40-50% of the vocab when you see it on paper, it might be spelled slightly different, but you know it.

And actually, when you think hard, it's closer to 70%. Add in even a cursory knowlege of Spanish, Italian, or Portugese? And now you're looking closer to 80-90%. I'm not even kidding you. We were reading passages from Count of Monte Cristo in French withing 5 weeks of starting my Reading French for Graduate Students course.

The only real difficulty is learning the meanings of the conjugations and the colloquialisms.

kairos

Post by kairos » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Hmm...now you got me thinking. :) Anyone know a good place to nab a copy these days?