Chi costs for martial techniques

Discover the mysteries of this acclaimed French RPG from 7th Circle games. Adventure in a world inspired by historical detail and martial arts action. You are already a Hero—become a Legend. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/qin/
Sir Ophiuchus

Chi costs for martial techniques

Post by Sir Ophiuchus » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:46 pm

Would someone mind clarifying something for me? A friend of mine showed me Qin: Warring States years ago, and I finally managed to acquire my own copy today.

However, reading through it I see that the Chi costs for activating martial techniques aren't in the rulebook (as far as I can tell), and can only be found on the GM screen? Or does that only apply to a subset of techniques (divine strikes)? The wording is confusing. If I've bought the rulebook and it turns out I can't use a chunk of it without the GM screen as well, I'll feel ... well, upset and misled.

Help appreciated.

Corone

Re: Chi costs for martial techniques

Post by Corone » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:16 pm

If I'm reading it right martial arts techniques don't usually require Chi to use.

Some grant you the option of another type of attack.
Most give you a bonus but at the cost of a higher combat success threshold.
(in this way they are similar to Combat Techniques in Yggdrasill.)
So they are not quite available for 'free' but they don't cost Chi.
(where they do should be noted in their individual description).

Tao are a slightly different story, being powers that draw on Chi to create supernatural abilities.
But martial techniques are simply the application of advanced skill.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

Sir Ophiuchus

Post by Sir Ophiuchus » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:17 am

Ah, thanks very much for the reply.

There's a section on page 60 of the rulebook, under 'The different uses of Chi', that was confusing me:
Using Martial Techniques

If a character wishes to use a secret thrust, one of the ancient combat techniques by which divine warriors distinguish themselves from mortal swordsmen, he must spend a certain number of Chi points. The number will be given in the description of the relevant technique, but note that secret thrusts will only appear in the Qin screen.
So 'secret thrusts' are something different from regular martial techniques, then? I wasn't sure, because the wording is a big vague.

Edit: This shouldn't really be stuck in as an incidental, but I truly love this book and I'm delighted to have finally gotten my hands on a copy! I was just worried that I didn't have enough materials to run it. Very pleased that's not the case, and thank you so much!

Jay_NOLA

Post by Jay_NOLA » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:46 pm

The section on pg. 60 is referring to Martial Techniques which are different from Combat Techniques. It incorrectly uses the word Combat Techniques when it ought to have used Martial Techniques. (Loks like another errata for the list.)

Combat Techniques (Martial Skills) are covered in the Quin Rule Book in the Martial Arts chapter of the basic Qin rule book up to Level 4.

Qin Legends gives rules for level 5 & 6 of them.
Martial Skills are also just called Techniques.
They have know no chi costs.
They can be used in conjunction with Taos.

Martial Techniques (Combat Styles) are covered in the Qin Legends book, they have a unique effect and each has a unique chi cost.

Each Martial Techniques have unique requirements of Martial Skills (Combat Techniques) and/or Taos you need to possess to learn it.

They can not be used together with a Combat Technique or a Tao.

These are the various special Chi costing special techniques that page 60 of the Qin basic rules mention.

Corone

Post by Corone » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:47 am

Yup, thats the one.
I was just going to add that in the original French edition the screen came with the 'Legends' book.
We wanted to do a plusher screen so we split them up.
So where you find references to anything being in the screen, chances are it is referring to 'Legends'.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops