Quick Viking Band Combat Resolution

Yggdrasil – the Lands of the North is a game of exciting adventure in a detailed and fascinating setting. Become a hero in the Scandia of legend – intrigue, combat, quests, magic and mythic creatures await...! Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/yggdrasill/
Eirvit

Quick Viking Band Combat Resolution

Post by Eirvit » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:20 am

I left this on the G+ Community...

I've recently finished Frans Bengtsson's The Long Ships, an excellent Viking novel! Also finishing (for the third time) Poul Anderson's Hrolf Kraki's Saga. While reading, I was reminded that some of the best Viking tales involve not so much hero vs hero conflict but whole shiploads of warriors fighting it out against each other. Another way to put it: a Viking hero often involves gathering a following, but it seemed to me that there wasn't a quick and efficient way in Yggdrasill to simulate the use of a body of NPCs in service to PCs during battle. So I came up with the following. I should note that these rules are meant for quick conflicts between a dozen up to a hundred combatants, not for full scale warfare (for which I'm tinkering with something else). Moreover, the resolutions of these procedures should serve as background or setting for the actions of the PCs, though the PCs should roll for their own side, of course, and the individual actions of the PCs should have some effect on the overall outcome of the battle. Finally, the Tactics Skill of course applies to these situations.

Quick Viking Band Conflict Resolution

Find the mean combat bonuses for all NPC units on either side.

Both sides make opposed rolls, the side with more units adding bonuses for each unit in excess of units on the other side. The success threshold of both sides over 14 results in the number of units of the opposing side that that side wounded. The winner of the opposed roll converts this many wounded to dead by the number by which it beat the opponent’s roll.

Repeat this procedure each round until the combat resolves for any reason.

What do you think? I haven't tested this yet.

Eirvit

Re: Quick Viking Band Combat Resolution

Post by Eirvit » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:50 pm

I can't leave it alone! Continuing on with my previous post, I built something that mechanizes growing a Viking band by using the character's Renown combined with a single Characteristic. Before that, though, I detail here an alternative mechanic for the Runes. My group has found that we keep forgetting the Runes during gameplay, so I came up with the following:

Alternative PC Rune Mechanics

At the beginning of each session, every player draws (or rolls) a single Rune. The obvious and immediate application of this Rune is as a bonus die (as with Furor or the standard game Rune mechanic) at relevant moments during that session’s gameplay. However, at the GM’s discretion, the player also may use the Rune to add a more dramatic element to play and therefore influence the game narrative.

Additionally, the GM might also draw a Rune. This Rune ideally should influence the tone and theme of that session’s play. Moreover, whenever relevant, the GM might invoke that Rune as a negative effect on PC actions (as with the standard rules) forcing PCs to choose one high and one low roll on relevant PC actions.

Hero Followings

When the hero reaches a Renown of 10, at the GM’s discretion the hero may begin to attract a following equal to the hero’s Strength, Tenacity or Charisma Characteristic. The gathering of these followers might be roleplayed and the type of followers should be those types who naturally would be attracted to the hero’s chosen “Following” Characteristic.

As the Renown of the hero grows, this following might grow to a band equal to the hero’s Following Characteristic multiplied by one tenth of the hero’s Renown score.

At the GM’s discretion, as the hero increases in Renown, the GM might allow the hero to add a second or even third Following Characteristic to the hero’s calculation of total followers. This should be allowed in highly exceptional situations, however. This is the status of great kings and heroes of legend.