combat round sequence

Yggdrasil – the Lands of the North is a game of exciting adventure in a detailed and fascinating setting. Become a hero in the Scandia of legend – intrigue, combat, quests, magic and mythic creatures await...! Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/yggdrasill/
vercinjetorix

combat round sequence

Post by vercinjetorix » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:08 am

I'm a bit confused as to how a combat round works out. The rulebook said that "once all participants have taken their primary actions, characters with secondary actions may act for a second time." Does this mean that all characters have to finish taking their primary actions first before going onto secondary actions?

2 situations which i am not sure.

1. a berserker has a higher initiative than you and attacks you. You take this opportunity to parry, thereby using your primary action to defend. When your turn comes, and other players haven't taken their primary actions yet, can you use your secondary action or do you have to wait until everyone has used all their primary actions?

2.if you already used your primary action to attack, and in that same combat round, two enemies attack you. Can you use your 1st secondary and 2nd secondary actions in that same round while, say, everyone else has only used up their primary action?

Another question. Do you have to used an action in a combat round? can you not take an action in a round? like, maybe move and do nothing?

clarification would be much appreciated.

Heimer

Re: combat round sequence

Post by Heimer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:41 am

I can tell you what we do :)

We give each play a chip/marker equal to AGI+1(number of actions).

The we take the turns in order of initiativ, and each player/NPC gets one offensive action per initiativ pass(if they want to, and have chips left). If they parry ect. they pay a chip/marker. So yes if someone parries alot then they wont have markers/chips left for many attacks.
Just to clarify if 2 NPC's ahead of you in initiativ order, attack you(and you parry both times), you have spent 2 markers/chips, so your attack will be the 3'rd chip/marker spent and thus the attack will be made with a -5 penalty, since its your 3 action.

Then we go round and round in initiativ order until everyone is done.

Hope it makes sense :D

vercinjetorix

Post by vercinjetorix » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:04 pm

So, my conclusion and understanding:

1. On your turn, you can pass if you don't want to perform an action.
2. If several NPCs attack you in the same combat round, you can parry or dodge as many actions you want as long as it's not more than AGI + 1, and doesn't matter if your friendly players have done their actions or not.

Heimer

Post by Heimer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:19 pm

vercinjetorix wrote:So, my conclusion and understanding:

1. On your turn, you can pass if you don't want to perform an action.
2. If several NPCs attack you in the same combat round, you can parry or dodge as many actions you want as long as it's not more than AGI + 1, and doesn't matter if your friendly players have done their actions or not.
Yes

vercinjetorix

Post by vercinjetorix » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:25 am

Hi,

I havre a question about actions taken in a combat round.

Come your turn to move and you do not want to take an action because no enemy is nearby, is that action lost ?

e.g. It is your first turn in the initiative order and you dont want to do anything since no enemy is nearby. Does that mean that you pass your primary action and when next turn comes, that is your secondary action?

Thank you for clarification.

Corone

Post by Corone » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:38 pm

I think that whenever you take your first action, thats your primary action.
So if you wait a while, you can't lose it.
(also you can't try and take secondary ones beforehand)

If you don't use an action on your turn you'd be considered 'holding an action'.
So you can then use it whenever you like later in the round.
But if you still haven't used it after everyone else has used their primary and secondary actions that round it is lost.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops