Fate and how it works

Yggdrasil – the Lands of the North is a game of exciting adventure in a detailed and fascinating setting. Become a hero in the Scandia of legend – intrigue, combat, quests, magic and mythic creatures await...! Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/yggdrasill/
vercinjetorix

Fate and how it works

Post by vercinjetorix » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 am

I'm not sure how the fate works on the player characters and what it means in game terms, especially the negative aspect. How do you interpret the fate on the player characters? Much appreciated for the explanation.

Eirvit

Re: Fate and how it works

Post by Eirvit » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:05 am

I think the italicized paragraph on page 85 says it all. And, that said, I think you've located a hole! I can't find anything on negative Runes. I suppose we must assume that a player with a negative Rune must lose a die on a relevant roll?

In my game the Fate Runes are even more difficult to mind than Gifts or Weaknesses. Before every session I draw random runes and allow those readings to inspire events. If they happen to line up with a character's personal Runes, I suppose that would mean the events of the session will be extra potent or meaningful for that character. In other words I use the runes for broad plot strokes and improvisation; seldom can I or the players find or remember opportunities for mechanical benefits or penalties.