How many people minimum are needed to run Yggdrasill

Yggdrasil – the Lands of the North is a game of exciting adventure in a detailed and fascinating setting. Become a hero in the Scandia of legend – intrigue, combat, quests, magic and mythic creatures await...! Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/yggdrasill/
LOTR_Nerd

How many people minimum are needed to run Yggdrasill

Post by LOTR_Nerd » Sat May 18, 2013 4:26 am

So I run and play The One Ring but I keep lurking here and looking at Yggdrasill but my only question is that which is listed in the title.

InfinityDoctor

Re: How many people minimum are needed to run Yggdrasill

Post by InfinityDoctor » Sat May 18, 2013 8:04 am

Depends on how you structure your adventures, but to be honest you can run it with one GM and one player. There aren't any mechanics, like The One Ring's Fellowship rules, that depend on having a group of players.

Corone

Post by Corone » Sat May 18, 2013 1:56 pm

I'd say much the same as any other group.
I have a small Yggdrasill group of a GM and two players,
and that works fine.

As long as your characters have a broad range of skills and you modify the amount of bad guys to a fair amount it should work fine.
After all, many Viking myths involve just a lone hero or a hero and a companion.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

Beran

Post by Beran » Sun May 19, 2013 4:20 am

"...but to be honest you can run it with one GM and one player."

Could be done, yes. Qin is much better a game to play with only GM and one player, however, as that is how most Ancient China (and Wuxia) stories are set up...following the exploits of a lone swordsman. But, in Yggs. the village is almost as important a part of the story as the PCs.

InfinityDoctor

Post by InfinityDoctor » Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 pm

"the village is almost as important a part of the story as the PCs..."

Only if you're writing your adventures that way, and even then, the number of PCs doesn't actually matter - you can still focus on a village if you only have one player. There are no game mechanics that enforce/are affected by this or the number of players you have.

I'm only making this distinction because I suspect the original question comes from the fact that, arguably, the One Ring, which the OP is used to, does require a minimum number of players, since it affects the Fellowship Pool.

(As an aside, I actually haven't seen Qin - does it use the same system? I used Weapons of the Gods for my Wuxia game a while back, and Exalted before that...)

Beran

Post by Beran » Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 pm

"Only if you're writing your adventures that way, and even then, the number of PCs doesn't actually matter - you can still focus on a village."

I guess I am one of those people then I have a current list of 12 specific NPCs from the PCs village (that includes the PreGens in the book). Though I have put my planning on the side until the Nine Worlds and Kings of the Sea comes out for more info on the culture (particularly the nautical side of things). So, I'll be waiting awhile before I actually run a game...Truth be told I expect to run a game of Keltia, before Ygg.

"There are no game mechanics that enforce/are affected by this or the number of players you have. "

No hard and fast mechanics, true. But, I think you just have to look at the vocations that are included in the book to see the emphasis on that the Norsemen placed on community; Counsellor, Skalds, Farmer, Forester, Miner, Merchants, Emissaries and wandering blacksmiths. These are all character types that don't traditionally fit into Fantasy Troupes, but are very important to the success of the community as a whole...particularly,t he Merchants and Emissaries, as the Vikings relied heavily on trade.

Qin's system is similar in many ways to Ygg, particularly in Char Gen. However, there are differences; the system is based very strongly on the premise of Balance in Chinese Culture (Yin/Yang). If you are interested in the Wuxia setting I would recommend it.

InfinityDoctor

Post by InfinityDoctor » Mon May 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Beran wrote:Qin's system is similar in many ways to Ygg, particularly in Char Gen. However, there are differences; the system is based very strongly on the premise of Balance in Chinese Culture (Yin/Yang). If you are interested in the Wuxia setting I would recommend it.
Thanks, I'll give it a look (but will move any potential discussion on to the Qin forum... :) )

Beran

Post by Beran » Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 pm

You are welcome.

" I'll give it a look (but will move any potential discussion on to the Qin forum..."

That is why I tacked it on last. ;)

Carlhartley

Post by Carlhartley » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:40 am

Wow, it amazes me. I had this very same question. And started searching the forum and found your answers. I have just started playing and have a Yggdrasill of a GM and one player too. I was little confused, but no more. Thanks.