Looking for a "hack" for Yggdrasill

Yggdrasil – the Lands of the North is a game of exciting adventure in a detailed and fascinating setting. Become a hero in the Scandia of legend – intrigue, combat, quests, magic and mythic creatures await...! Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/yggdrasill/
Eirvit

Looking for a "hack" for Yggdrasill

Post by Eirvit » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:18 pm

Hey, all. As of a few weeks now, I'm new to Yggdrasill and quite excited for it. I've run a session now and am scheduled for more, and I'm beginning to explore ways to manipulate the system and to create new content. Has anyone else looked into this? Or are there any game designers here who can give me their thoughts on or rationale for the game mechanics? I'm particularly interested in how Extras stats are figured. Also of interest are the formulations for penalties and benefits for Feats and Spells. My first session was an overall success, and so far I'm happy with the structure and pacing of the game. But a look under the hood at the actual parts of the engine, so to speak, would be a great help going forward. That said, thank you, all, for the comments and observations already put forward in this forum regarding particular aspects of game play!

Corone

Re: Looking for a "hack" for Yggdrasill

Post by Corone » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:38 pm

I beleive there isn't a lot of hard maths behind the system.
The focus is usually on setting over rules,
so I think such things as Extra stats are developed by modifying a '2 in everyhting' base as seems apropriate.

For system hacks, I often find modifying difficulties can be a great way to shift from realistic to cinematic.
As it stands, the focus is on the realistic, but making the base TN lower,
or removing the level penalty for combat manouvres can quickly shift to cinematic.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

Eirvit

Post by Eirvit » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks for the help!

Yes, for my first session I was using ST 10 in combat as recommended elsewhere on these boards. But one of my players is running a Berserker and actually asked for ST 14 next session. He seeks more realism. And I'm happy to accommodate, because he was tearing it up last time!

As far as how Extras are built... I believe I got a clue in Nine Worlds when I read that to calculate an Extra's Instinct one need only divide the first Mental score by two, rounding down. This suggests that, to calculate Extra stats, one need only think of them as Characteristics, doubling them and adjusting by one or two as seems fitting. But this is for human Extras. For anything monstrous or supernatural, I guess the GM should do whatever seems best, using the existing Creatures as references.

Now I see how transparent the Feat and Magic system is. It remains to the GM to determine what "Level" a power or ability should be.

So far I'm delighted with this system, and, though you say the game is more about setting than rules, the system is elegant, intuitive, and complements the setting beautifully! A couple homebrews I've introduced so far are as follows:

Aiding a character -- anyone with a relevant skill can reasonably add bonuses to another character's ST as high as the aiding character's COM score (as long as the relevant skill is just as high)

Weapon synergies -- characters skilled in one kind of weapon reasonably have some practice (half, rounded down, of the primary weapon skill score) with a similar weapon of the nearest size down and then down again (another half bonus) (e.g., Long axe 7 would automatically give War-axe 3 and Hatchet 1)

I also love the Runes as system rules. I've ordered a set of actual runes to use during gameplay instead of determining runes with die rolls. I might even try using the runes to interpret story results, much like how special dice are used in Fantasy Flight's Star Wars rpg.

Thanks again!

Corone

Post by Corone » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:38 am

Sounds cool,
and any plan that brings in a bag of runestones can only help build the atmosphere!
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops