Ambidexterity & 2-weapon fighting

Yggdrasil – the Lands of the North is a game of exciting adventure in a detailed and fascinating setting. Become a hero in the Scandia of legend – intrigue, combat, quests, magic and mythic creatures await...! Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/yggdrasill/
jolt

Ambidexterity & 2-weapon fighting

Post by jolt » Tue May 14, 2013 12:11 am

I understand the rules for two-weapon fighting but I would've thought their would be an advantage to being ambidextrous while doing so. I've been unable to find any direct mechanical benefit to being ambidextrous; even in situations where, like two-weapon fighting, it would seem to be relevant. Anyone come up with anything?

jolt

Corone

Re: Ambidexterity & 2-weapon fighting

Post by Corone » Wed May 15, 2013 11:10 am

I think the most obvious bonus would be the reduction or any off hand penalty associated to two weapon fighting.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

InfinityDoctor

Post by InfinityDoctor » Wed May 15, 2013 8:59 pm

That's the problem, like Jolt, - I couldn't actually find any offhand penalties in the rules!

Loddfafnir

Post by Loddfafnir » Thu May 16, 2013 2:41 am

The only mechanic benefit Ambidexterity would have with two weapon fighting is an extra d10 per session while doing said dual wielding. Combine with a furor point and a favorable rune (i.e. Thurz, Ansuz, Sol; Algiz and Dagaz situational) plus minimum three strength and you're looking at a one shot 4d10 minimum, keep three roll plus furor die, in addition to the +3 bonus from dual wielding.

That's all I can come up with though.
Don't worry. What could possibly go wrong?

jolt

Post by jolt » Wed May 22, 2013 7:10 pm

I can't imagine any player selecting Ambidexterity if that was the only benefit.

Right now, there is no disadvantage, to any player, for fighting with two weapons. Doing so lets you do one of three things: 1) Attack with an offensive bonus and take a defensive penalty, 2) Attack with an offensive penalty and take a defensive bonus, 3) Attack normally with one weapon. Everyone has those options.

Ambidexterity gives a very specific benefit: it removes the penalty for off-hand use; it's not like the wording is unclear. This means that either: a) The rules for off-hand use were inadvertently left out of the main rule book or b) Ambidexterity was meant to do something completely different from what the rules actually say.

I can go with either of those but I'd like to know which is the case so I know which way to use my "handwavium" until an official clarification comes along.

greengamer19

Post by greengamer19 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 pm

In the game that I was running I created a negative modifier for using two weapons using something like same step system already in place for other attacks (this stacked with any combat maneuvers or other attacks). A normal player (non-ambidexterity) using 2 weapons took something like a -10 on the second attack (-5 if using a weapon that is suited for this type of fighting) and having ambi reduced it to -5 normally, with no penalty if using proper weapons.

As to whether or not it worked is still up in the air. They were only in combat twice before the group floundered and the game fell apart. But it seemed to work alright in the beginning.
"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." – Eddard Stark

Theo

Post by Theo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Hello guys, my name's Theo, I'm from Brazil and I've been mastering a Yggdrassil game about a year right now.

Recently I started another party and one of my players (TOTALLY POWER PLAYER) chose to use dual wielding.
Since this guy is using 2 long Swords (damage = +7 each), how would I count his damage?

I mean, as a dual wielding, He's atacking with +AGI and blocking with -AGI, but, what about the damage? Do you understand I should count as +14 or just +7?

P.S: Yes, he got "ambidexterity" as a gift, and I know He would roll +1d10 "once per game session".

Thank You (y)

Corone

Post by Corone » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Ah, I should have looked here first.
I was just answering Theo's question as a PM and saying it would be a good post to make.
So I thought I'd better add my reply here too! :)

I'd rule that the base damage is just +7, not +14.
Essentially, fighting with two weapons doesn't mean you land two blows.
It just means there is more chance you will hit with one of your weapons.
So, if anything, there should be a damage reduction.
But as the modifier on p149 lets you modify the attack roll, it is indirectly also allowing you to alter the damage by focusing on attack or defence.

(You are absolutly right in how you are using Ambidexterity by the way too)

We get a lot of questions on 2 weapon fighting, and I blame D&D Rangers :)
It is a bit of a myth that using 2 weapons gives you more attacks.
It doesn't make you faster, just makes it harder to defend against.
It is why shield and sword is the most popular combination, as the second sword isn't as good as a shield for defence and only grants a minimal bonus in attacking.

Having said that, I'd also allow you to use different one handed weapons in each hand,
such as sword and axe or axe and dagger for instance.
In such a case I'd allow the player to pick which weapon forms the base damage,
given they decide which is the attacking weapon and which is defensive.

Thats what I'd rule, but as always it is up to you.
The golden rule is 'whatever makes the game more awesome for everyone' :)
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

Corone

Post by Corone » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Also, looking at Ambidxterity again I think Theo is spot on.

You can use it to get the usual gift bonus when using two weapons.
We don't have an off hand penalty, as with one weapon being defensive it doesn't make much difference.
But a lack of ambidexterity means you don't get the bonus a 'better handed' character would get.
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

Theo

Post by Theo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:14 pm

Corone wrote:Also, looking at Ambidxterity again I think Theo is spot on.

You can use it to get the usual gift bonus when using two weapons.
We don't have an off hand penalty, as with one weapon being defensive it doesn't make much difference.
But a lack of ambidexterity means you don't get the bonus a 'better handed' character would get.

You got a strong point in all your words. After a long time thinking, I'm convinced about everything you said...

You just lost me when you said "But a lack of ambidexterity means you don't get the bonus a 'better handed' character would get." I didn't get what you mean. Wich bonus?