Legend Points & Renown

Yggdrasil – the Lands of the North is a game of exciting adventure in a detailed and fascinating setting. Become a hero in the Scandia of legend – intrigue, combat, quests, magic and mythic creatures await...! Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/yggdrasill/
melancton

Legend Points & Renown

Post by melancton » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:39 am

Hi

Running my first game (started with Winter's Fall). Whilst I'm enjoying it had a couple of queries/ looking for a feel of how other groups are managing this.

Due to various peculiarities (one berserker went picking flowers for the finnish twins) the first game is now three sessions in & likely to stretch to a fourth (about 3 hours a pop). Whilst players seem happy with the pace, I was wondering how I should habd out legend points. I've tended to hand out single points in stats (5 legend points) if a player is routinely smashing good roles in a skill they don't have (vigilence or traditions), but I've been thinking if it should be 2 lp per session with the additional LP once story concludes?

Second I'm thinking on how much renown should be handed out for solving the first story - given the players have detoured slightly (we now have a holmgang about to start - which could be a way to exspose the Tryggerson plot) I'm trying to work out a reasonable level of renown for this. Have I missed the suggestion in the book?

Any help is appreciated.

Corone

Re: Legend Points & Renown

Post by Corone » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:09 pm

That is quite a tricky one as it really depends on your group.

Sounds like you have a decent balance,
but if your players are all about the advancement you might want to be more generous.
In early games the PCs should probably have enough XP at the end to improve at least something each time
(just not always their main skills!) :)

Renown is a really tricky one as it depends not only on what they do, but how they do it.
If they quietly deal with the situation in Hirsk they might gain rep based on being part of it all.
But if they make a real show and end up leading a rebellion there would be more reputation for basically the same action.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

melancton

Post by melancton » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks for the speedy response - I'm likely to do the Hunter (as a shorter game) so I think that will balance out points reasoanbly quickly.

With the renown my thinking for the Winter's Fall story from Nine Words -

1. Initial Combat with the mercenaries and identifying the threat to the village (Deed level 1 * 3 as Jarl was informed)
2. Events at the feast (deed level 1 *3 as seen by lots of people & skald did good job of selling it) - there is some amusing stuff in there - the beserker beatne by his brother - the collosuss picking flowers
3. Saving the Sister's life/ exsposing the treachery (deed level 4 * 3 as its in front of a lot of factions)

Potentially if the person survives the Holmgang/ judicial duel - I'm minded to give him an extra boost - propbably deed level 2 * 4

Meaning the players would get between 18 - 24 renown - which would put them at the savage warrior status which seems reasonable given the scale of the achievements - or is that too much for a single story?

Corone

Post by Corone » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:15 am

That seems a little high to me,
but on the other hand, your characters are heroes! :)

Personally I'd put the deeds at level 1-2.
But it really depends on how awesome and well received everything was.
If the PCs really rocked, credit where it is due! :)
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

melancton

Post by melancton » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Ok - that makes makes sense.

Still noteworthy - and leaving them below fearsome warrior - by the time we go through hunter & the winter they are heading to that stage makes sense and probably works for end of first series.

Ta.

S