It's about the Gifts

Yggdrasil – the Lands of the North is a game of exciting adventure in a detailed and fascinating setting. Become a hero in the Scandia of legend – intrigue, combat, quests, magic and mythic creatures await...! Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/yggdrasill/

It's about the Gifts

Postby Theo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:30 am

Once again, I'm playing with the Brazilian Portuguese Translated version. Since I'm not sure about which words are wrote in the English version, I'll try to chat with you.

1) Well, one of my players chose the weakness that makes him a One-eyed guy (I don't know how it's called in you version) and I'm wondering how can I use it. As a weakness, I used it once per game day "against" him, but reading the book there's something like "this guy has -2 in all Perception checks". I understand It's totally right if we're thinking about the roleplay, but as mechanics isn't that unfair? I mean all the weakness are used just one time...

2) I was thinking about the Gifts as well, it's used once per game, right?
But as a "Savage Warrior" or a "Initiaded" isn't that used much more then that? A Berserker, for example, can use his Furor everytime he wants, isn't that right?
Theo

Re: It's about the Gifts

Postby Corone » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:53 pm

I think what you have there is identified the three 'exceptions to the rule' :)

Savage Warrior and Initiate very definitely work differently to standard gifts and weaknesses.
I'd argue that in many ways they are neither, but that picking one counts as one of your gift 'slots'.
Neither makes use of the rules for Gifts, instead they allow you to use Furor differently.

The one eye weakness is 'Physical Disability' in English and its an interesting one.
I'd suggest running it in one of two ways.

I think as it is worded in the UK edition, you get a general penalty instead of the usual weakness penalty.
So for one eyed you take a -2 on all Perception tests you ever make, but don't apply the standard weakness rules.

However, I do think it would be interesting to ignore the -2 perception, and instead treat it like any other weakness.
So, in the case of one eye, any time there is a perception test, or maybe an archery test the GM might insist on invoking the weakness and making the player keep the lowest die.

I'd argue that either version would be valid, but I don't think you need to apply both.
However, the GM and player should decide which they will use and stick to that.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops
Corone

Return to Yggdrasill General Discussion