Coming Soon for Kuro - Makkura

The year is 2048, and something dark has returned to Japan. With an international blockade set up around the beleaguered country, there is no escape. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/kuro/
skywalker

Re: Coming Soon for Kuro - Makkura

Post by skywalker » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:17 pm

This looks excellent. I am wondering if any of the scenarios are suitable to be run one-off at a Convention*.

*Yes, I am aware of the Last Stop :)
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after." - Thorin Oakenshield

Corone

Post by Corone » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:09 pm

That does depend on the sort of convention. :)
Most of the adventures apart from the last two can work well as stand alone ones,
although they run better as part of the campaign.

Fugu certainly works well alone, as does Mizurio, but they might prove to need more time than a standard con slot.
The same applies to Yukidomari, but you might cut the section with the shrine as the detail on the Kuro incident is more useful in the campaign.
The only other one I'd recommend against using as a stand alone would be Kujira as a lot of it is exposition for the campaign.

What you will find make excellent convention adventures with a little extra work are the continuing adventures for each section. They should each fit into a short evening's play and most are ready to go with the addition of a few basic statistics.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks. Purchased and awaiting PDF.
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after." - Thorin Oakenshield

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:31 am

So...apologies for the predictable...but when can we expect Kuro Tensei? :D

Corone

Post by Corone » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:20 am

Dear me, one at a time! :)
Its on the way, no dates yet I am able to share.
But you will certainly hear when we do!
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Fair cop :D

Normally, I wouldn't be looking forward, but the Kuro line kind of builds on itself. The end of Makkura does kind of feel like the end of Empire Strikes Back and knowing it will be 3 years before finding out what happened to Han Solo :) I just hope its less than the 18 months than was between Kuro and Makkura.

NIÑO

Post by NIÑO » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:28 am

Hiyas!

Wasn't around three years between Kuro & Makkura (hopefully soon)? Sure felt like it! :mrgreen:

Ñ

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:41 am

NIÑO wrote:Wasn't around three years between Kuro & Makkura (hopefully soon)? Sure felt like it! :mrgreen:
Not quite. Kuro came out in December 2012, so its around 18 months.

Corone

Post by Corone » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Well, it will be a little while so here are a few suggestions.

First off, Makura is quite a big adventure.
Even if you don't run all the secondary adventures it is going to take you quite a while to get through it.
Its not just a few adventures it really is a campaign.
With all the secondary adventures and rumours you could be playing it for a year or more.
(depending on your group)
I'd also recommend running a lot of background encounters that don't involve the supernatural to build up the character's backstory and let them explore Shin-Edo in the early stages of the game.

The last two adventures bring everything together in the move towards Tensei,
so you could run everything up to then and continue with some additional adventures of your own.
Once Tensei appears you can run them as the first part of Tensei rather than the last part of Makura.

Of course, you can end Makkura without moving up to Tensei.
Your characters return to their lives and you continue playing Kuro at the end (if they survive)
then you run Tensei with different characters.
Although I must admit I'd prefer to use the same characters.

Either way, we hope Tensei should appear without quite the same gap as Makura,
and we are working to get everything out as soon as we can.
But in the meantime Makura should keep you busy for a while. :)
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

Jay_NOLA

Post by Jay_NOLA » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Keeping the non supernatural back story aspect in encounters is very important also. You can have some adventures in which players go to various festivals, historical reenactments, movies, etc. that are connected to famous people from Japanese history and myth as this can be a way to give players information about them which won't be important at all in Makkura.

You can do non supernatural stories too that can contain hidden clues to some of the ones in Makkura or explain bits of Japanese culture that will be useful latter on.

Example a player's has a girlfriend, younger sister, etc. that collects stuffed animals and really wants these 4 cute ones based on the this Chinese animated series she was watching before the blockade.

The animals in the series are based on the Four Symbols in Chinese Mythology and are each associated with a direction.

See the Wiki links for details and pay close attention to what the names are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Symbo ... llation%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azure_Dragon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tortoise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Tige ... tronomy%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion_Bird

Pay close attention to the information about them, now go reread the Kujira adventure.

I also spotted an error while posting this that is in the French and English versions of Makkura.

Sujaku Hiro needs to be associated with Zocho & Byakko Kozakura needs to be associated with Komoku that are on page 51 for the hidden symbolism in the description of them to work.

The French version had the wrong directions given to Zocho & Komoku. That was fixed in the English version, but the French fan errata didn't point out that the characters associated to those two need to be switched.

I'm not sure if that can get fixed in the sidebar on 49 and the text on 51 before it goes to print.

You could have a game in which the player's go shopping an one sales clerk shows a female party member a kimono with a feathered pattern display and says "I have this hagoromo ("dress of feathers") style one that will make you look like a tennyo."

You can than use this to explain that in Japanese Buddhism tennyo are female tennin, which are spiritual beings that are similar to angels. The hagoromo is a robe they where and many tales of tenyo are similar to those of swan maidens in Western mythology. The hagomoro lets a tennin fly.

You can then have the clerk go up to a male character and say "I also have some similar ones for gentlemen if you would like to look like a tenshi.

You can then explain that tenshi are male tennin. So the players get to learn some Japanese culture.

You could also covey this info by having the payers go see a Noh play and have the performance be the Hagoromo and make a handout about the play and tennin for the players as part of another adventure.

See link for details on the play.

http://www.the-noh.com/en/plays/data/program_011.html