Coming Soon for Kuro - Makkura

The year is 2048, and something dark has returned to Japan. With an international blockade set up around the beleaguered country, there is no escape. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/kuro/
Corone

Re: Coming Soon for Kuro - Makkura

Post by Corone » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks Jay, useful notes!
I'll see what we can do about the names.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

Jay_NOLA

Post by Jay_NOLA » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Glad to have posted the info.

Also, the noh play idea can server to also introduce noh theater and noh masks. The site with the play summary has extensive info on Noh masks that can aslo be helpful.

I'm reading through the English version right now, I'm about halfway through of a a careful, and making notes on things.

I did spot a few more errors and related in the book.

Some quick non Makkura errata notes. (I'll go through the French fan play aids in the when I'm done and try and post some info about them and what they each contained for those that don't have them as they often mentioned little cultural and historical things by the way.)

Kodama (Ko-dama) - These are invisible spirits that inhabit ancient tress. They can imitate human voices and play tricks on humans. Cutting a ko-dama down can bring disaster to a community. So ko-dama often had a shimenawa, a sacred rope, so they would not be cut down.

Jidousha - Japanese for automobile.

Tales of taxi traveling ghosts are very common in Japan. The book I mentioned in the Inspiration thread Ghosts and the Japanese, by Michiko Iwasaka and Barre Toelkey talks about this if you want some more info.

In the Experimental Cuisine You could give the restaurant a name like Eat The Oni or something along those lines. (Go watch the movie Eat The Rich and get ideas from it. Like you could make the restaurant staff be like characters from the film. For those that haven't seen the film it has Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, Miranda Richardson, Lemmy, Paul McCartney, and others in it. So you can have the main weapon of choice for the suppliers be the yumi, bow, for example because of the strict gun laws in Japan and well go watch the film I mentioned. Also hve things like Kentucky Fried Tengu on the menu and make a player handout menu. ;) You can put a good bit of humor into how you run Experimental Cuisne depending on how you run it.

These historical figures that I'm listing have Kuro Tensei PC archetypes based on them. So you might want to run games that give the players some info about them in some way. In the Inspiration thread I posted some recommendations that deal with a few of them if you are looking for good sources of information on them.

You can do things like have the players go to special showing of the classic film trilogy Samurai that is based on the novel Musashi, by Eiji Yoshikawa as part of an adventure and then show the movie films after your game that night or during some game sessions after you've done your gaming.

The historical figures are:

Abe no Seimei
Himiko
Tomoe Gozen
Kusunoki Masashig
Miyomoto Musashi
Musashibō Benkei

Also, if a player really likes one of these persons after you expose a player to one you can do stuff to try and foreshadow a link to that player and one. Example, the characters are on a subway and a small child goes up to one player and makes a comment that he looks like Abe no Seimei in the manga he was just reading.

And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling ...

You can run games which appear to have a supernatural element but turn out not to.

Examples: After WWII US troops were known to sometimes take foxes and dip their tails in a glow in the dark paint and let them run lose at night to scare Japanese people in occupied Japan. So you can use this for inspiration and have reports of a fox with a glowing tail running lose at night in a certain area my be the result of a prank.

A house being haunted could be the work of the yakuza or other organization that wishes for the owner to sell the property but who doesn't want to use violence for some reason.

Jay_NOLA

Post by Jay_NOLA » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:57 pm

I found a few more errors and sent Crone a PM with those.

I'm currently keeping compiling a FAQ/Errata for Makkura.

A few more things to help if your wondering what certain things are in Makkura or referring to. None of this is errata

Kin Cha – Golden Tea

Sugomi- dreadful, weird, or strange.

NHK (Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai) – Japan Broadcasting Corporation - This is a real broadcasting corporation in Japan. It is Japan's only public broadcasting and it operates by receiving funds from the public. They do maintain and have a lot of English pages you an look at online.

Ama-no-jaku - Wicked Demon of heaven. This is a an ancient demon that is the spirit of contrariness and perversity. It lives just to torment and frustrate others. Depictions of it vary but it is generally depicted as a very small oni with clawed hands and feet, pointed fangs, long wild hair, and a horn emerging from its' forehead.

A few other English RPGs that have Japanese mythical creatures in them just present them a just looking like children or dwarfs and omit the claws and horn.

The shape change (human) power is used to represent when Ama-no-jaku wears the skin of human in its' game stats to change into that human.

For some more info on Bake-kujira - Ghost Whale. See this link.

http://hyakumonogatari.com/2013/05/10/b ... ale-cults/

You could if you have the character actually telling supernatural stories in the previous adventure have one of Bake-kujira be one.

A quick addition to the meaning of Tenshi from a previous post the word is often just translated as angel and you won't find the detailed meaning on what it is if you look in a Japanese-English dictionary. My dictionary for example just says it means "angel".

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:40 am

Hey Jay -

I've only just noticed this thread, so in the future you're best off PMing me (or emailing me at andrew AT cubicle7.co.uk) with any typos - I can then make sure they get compiled into the finished book!

Cheers for your help!

Andrew

Jay_NOLA

Post by Jay_NOLA » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Had a quick question do we have an ETA on when the print version will get released yet?

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:41 pm

It's at the printers at the moment. We'll provide a clearer ETA when we have it, but hopefully around the start of December.

Ancient Otter

Post by Ancient Otter » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:11 am

So.....did anybody pick this up yet?

chbarrettiv

Post by chbarrettiv » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:36 am

I grabbed mine. i am so glad i did.

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:37 am

Still waiting for mine. The US retail announcement was awhile back but it precedes the UK/ROW release by quite a bit (and I expect Kuro's not big enough to get an announcement for that).
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after." - Thorin Oakenshield