The Home Office

The past, present and future of Earth are colliding as mysterious anomalies open up everywhere. Your mission: keep prehistoric monsters in check, preserve the timeline, and uncover the secrets behind the anomalies. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/primeval/

Moderator: JohnK

jeff

The Home Office

Post by jeff » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:33 pm

Here's a question for the Brits. What exactly does the Home Office do? From what I gather, it fills a role similar to the Department of Homeland Security here in the US. I think DHS would be the appropriate agency to run something similar to the ARC in the US.

Craig Oxbrow

Re: The Home Office

Post by Craig Oxbrow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:55 pm

The Home Office is a pretty catch-all department, but is indeed mostly about domestic security and other somewhat-connected areas of policy.

DHS would be the closest equivalent in the USA, but considering how many agencies it connects to I'd consider going for something smaller like the NSA, something science-focused like NASA, or something slightly ironic like the Environmental Protection Agency. Multiple departments arguing over jurisdiction and following their own agendas around the Anomalies could be the basis of some interesting subplots in a series.

Beran

Post by Beran » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:47 pm

The NSA is an information gathering and code breaking apparatus, primarily. As such it wouldn't have anything (or very little) to do with such a program. If I were to run a Primeval game set in the US I would have it run by the Military (with moderate civilian over sight) specifically the USAF as they are the most technically disposed of the Forces. The concept may sound familiar to you, but is the one that makes the most sense IMO. I would have it set on some out of the way AFB, with some kind of "spoofing" op at Area 51 to keep the conspiracy wack-jobs busy far from the actual operation.

DavetheLost

Post by DavetheLost » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:04 pm

Considering that Project Blue Book was USAF looking into UFOs, I think a USAF based ARC makes some certain sense.

Gold-Neuromancer

Post by Gold-Neuromancer » Sun May 03, 2015 3:52 pm

jeff wrote:Here's a question for the Brits. What exactly does the Home Office do? From what I gather, it fills a role similar to the Department of Homeland Security here in the US. I think DHS would be the appropriate agency to run something similar to the ARC in the US.
the Home office is one of the Big 3 Ministry's the others being the Foreign office and the Treasury. Because of the USA's federal nature there is no direct analogue.

The relationship of the ARC to the Home Office would be similar to that of the Security Service (Mi5) the Arc would be funded out of the secret vote.

I Suspect that in the USA you would have competing organisations the more centralised nature of uk civil service means that you have less inter service rivalry. ie the Navy having its own intelligence agency.

I can just see a spin off NCIS Primeval

Gibbs "Grab your Gear some idiot smuggled a velicraptor onto a CAV"

Ziva "Cool ill just get my 700 Nitro Express"

mike96

Post by mike96 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:12 am

The HO is responsible for maintaining law & order. Visa's, immigration work all of it comes under the HO. You can read more on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Office.