What dinosaurs? Mass Amnesia?

The past, present and future of Earth are colliding as mysterious anomalies open up everywhere. Your mission: keep prehistoric monsters in check, preserve the timeline, and uncover the secrets behind the anomalies. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/primeval/

Moderator: JohnK

BlackLobster

What dinosaurs? Mass Amnesia?

Post by BlackLobster » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:25 pm

To start with I'm going to quote from Doctor Who.
Ace: But this is Earth, 1963. Well someone would've noticed, I'd have heard about it!
The Doctor: Do you remember the Zygon gambit with the Loch Ness monster? Or the Yetis in the underground?
Ace: The what?
The Doctor: Your species has the most amazing capacity for self-deception, matched only by its ingenuity when trying to destroy itself.

So, at the end of the fifth season we have everything go pear-shaped and anomalies open up all over the globe, dropping dinosaurs and other prehistoric/future nasties into the present. The world may not know what the hell happened, but they know dinosaurs were running amok. Come to the spin-off series, New World, and no one seems to know anything about it. Even at the end of season 5 it seems to be just business as usual for the ARC team.

Have people just blanked it out of their memories? Did the shutting of the convergence undo their appearance or change the time line again so only those involved remember?

If you ran a game set post season 5 how would you handle it?

BlackLobster

Re: What dinosaurs? Mass Amnesia?

Post by BlackLobster » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:34 pm

No one has any ideas?

rulandor

Re: What dinosaurs? Mass Amnesia?

Post by rulandor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:34 pm

I find it difficult to reconcile Primeval New World with season 5. It all depends on how you interpret what happened in the last S5 episode. It seems obvious that the future changed again. Instead of one Matt or no Matt, we now have two Matts, one giving the other a dire (and unexplained) warning.

So, in a rpg campaign I would tend to stipulate that not only the future changed again (back?), but also the past on a much grander scale than with the Claudia Brown incident. This could deliver a theory to reconcile Primeval and Primeval New World. In the Claudia Brown retrofit of the past, only Professor Cutter knew the "old" past, but it seems that after the New Dawn incident the whole ARC team remains conscious of the older version of history.