What type of games are you running?

The past, present and future of Earth are colliding as mysterious anomalies open up everywhere. Your mission: keep prehistoric monsters in check, preserve the timeline, and uncover the secrets behind the anomalies. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/primeval/

Moderator: JohnK

Beran

What type of games are you running?

Post by Beran » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Now that the Companion is out I have been thinking of adding Primeval to my library, and suggesting it as a posdible back up game for my table top group. And I am wondering on the type of campaigns that are being run by others on the forum. Do you run a monster of the week, scientific, intrigue or concentrating on the possible future type of campaign? Or, something else?

rulandor

Re: What type of games are you running?

Post by rulandor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:20 pm

If I had a gaming group to run adventures for, I would concentrate on the danger that Conspiracies bring about for the integrity of the time line, something that the temporal damage rules and the anomalies mapping system in the Companion easily facilitate.

A central fascination of Primeval for me is the history of planet Earth, a subject that always intrigued me - Earth has been so many different worlds and ecologies in its history (strange planets that really existed). Primeval lets characters experience this first hand. Then you get to fantasize about future worlds as well ...

rulandor

Post by rulandor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:24 pm

By the way, a fantastic resource for Primeval settings is the Dorling Kindersley book "Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Life". I have the German edition, "Lexikon der Dinosaurier und anderer Tiere der Urzeit", and can really recommend it.

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Hullo, Beran,
Beran wrote:Now that the Companion is out I have been thinking of adding Primeval to my library, and suggesting it as a posdible back up game for my table top group. And I am wondering on the type of campaigns that are being run by others on the forum. Do you run a monster of the week, scientific, intrigue or concentrating on the possible future type of campaign? Or, something else?
Hmm, good question... And a difficult one to answer. :)

I assume that you've been reading my blog journal entries about the Friday night and Sunday afternoon gaming groups? (All of their gaming sessions of the Primeval RPG have been journaled now, though I've not quite updated the two posts here on the forums about the rest of the entries.)

I'm approaching the game with both my groups based on the Series 1 PRIMEVAL show, where the group is working for the Home Office and doesn't have most of the technology that we see in later series of the show. The players rely more on their wits, than on tools and equipment, but everything they can get their hands on has its place. I've laid the groundwork for the introduction of a conspiracy in the game as well, though not all the players have glommed onto this fact.

Does that help? :)
"You have no idea how revealing dung can be." - Stephen Hart (He tastes the pteranodon dung.) "That's just not right." - Captain Tom Ryan (Primeval Ep 1.5)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Is anyone running any online games anywhere?

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Thu May 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Hullo, silverfoxdmt73,
silverfoxdmt73 wrote:Is anyone running any online games anywhere?
Not that I know of. Sorry. :(
"You have no idea how revealing dung can be." - Stephen Hart (He tastes the pteranodon dung.) "That's just not right." - Captain Tom Ryan (Primeval Ep 1.5)

JohnK

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:52 pm

I'm quite surprised things seem to be so quiet regarding this game, given the popularity of the tv show and the support C7 have shown.

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:44 pm

So, if anyone is interested I may be running a Primeval game soon over on Rpol.net.

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:01 am

I've got a Primeval game going on rpol.net, but it would seem my group is the only one playing this great game.

Anyone else out there still playing? Care to share some of your gaming experiences?

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:49 pm

Hullo, Fox,
silverfoxdmt73 wrote:I've got a Primeval game going on rpol.net, but it would seem my group is the only one playing this great game.
I saw that you've got the game going on Roleplaying Online. I've actually just started an on-line game of Primeval over on Gamers' Plane.
silverfoxdmt73 wrote: Anyone else out there still playing? Care to share some of your gaming experiences?
My campaigns have been on hold for a while, as I ran an awful lot of [iPrimeval[/i] and did quite a bit of work on the game while running it (a ton of new beasties, and the like), but I will be getting back to the game and continuing later this year. In addition, I've started a PbP game over on Gamers' Plane, so am looking forward to moderating that.

JohnK