Primeval Companion

The past, present and future of Earth are colliding as mysterious anomalies open up everywhere. Your mission: keep prehistoric monsters in check, preserve the timeline, and uncover the secrets behind the anomalies. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/primeval/

Moderator: JohnK

rulandor

Primeval Companion

Post by rulandor » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Just started perusing the PDF.

The first highlights: a system for mapping Anomalies as a campaign background, and expanded character sheets: double sheet player characters, sheets for Groups, Incidents and Conspiracies.

Neat!

DavetheLost

Re: Primeval Companion

Post by DavetheLost » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:11 am

Forty-seven! New creatures from the Anomalies, 4 present day animals, two kinds of primitive man, and several modern day NPC templates.

Operation GEORGE campaign background is drawn from the Lost Island Primeval novel, which. I have not read. It is interesting to see material from the novels being brought into the game.

The new expanded record sheets include condensed rules guides making them handy cheat sheets as well.

I was happy to see the rules for environmental hazards and especially the suggestions on scaling hazards to present appropriate levels of difficulty for the players. A blizzard should make life difficult but not wipe out the group.

I am sure there are more goodies tucked into the book yet to be discovered.

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:38 pm

One question about Operation GEORGE. If it's a British Operation, why are the pictures of American GIs?

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:47 pm

Looks great, but it could be improved a bit.

I would love to have seen illustrations/photos of all the new creatures in the book. My players like visual aids when encountering new critters.

I also found it a bit odd that there were so many photos of characters from seasons 4 and 5, but no stats. I know they will be coming in a future expansion, but sticking photos of season 4/5 characters next to stats and descriptions of completely unrelated NPCs seems a bit odd/ confusing.

Also would have liked to have seen a few more crunchy bits (new rules).

DavetheLost

Post by DavetheLost » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:21 am

Steven wrote:One question about Operation GEORGE. If it's a British Operation, why are the pictures of American GIs?
Lend-Lease ;)

Beran

Post by Beran » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:04 am

Well, you know what they said about the Yanks stationed in the UK?

Over fed.
Over Paid.
Over Sexed.
Over here!;)

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Hullo, Rulandor, everyone,
rulandor wrote:Just started perusing the PDF.

The first highlights: a system for mapping Anomalies as a campaign background, and expanded character sheets: double sheet player characters, sheets for Groups, Incidents and Conspiracies.

Neat!
Yeah, it's quite a nice little book, isn't it? :) (Though I've not yet seen the final PDF of the book...)

I'm glad that everyone is enjoying the Primeval Companion supplement, as there's a lot of good stuff in the book. I have my particular favourite parts of the book, and assume that others feel the same way. :)
"You have no idea how revealing dung can be." - Stephen Hart (He tastes the pteranodon dung.) "That's just not right." - Captain Tom Ryan (Primeval Ep 1.5)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:24 pm

Hullo, Cigarman,
Cigarman wrote:Looks great, but it could be improved a bit.

I would love to have seen illustrations/photos of all the new creatures in the book. My players like visual aids when encountering new critters.
I can't speak for the folks at Cubicle 7 or Gar Ryder-Hanrahan, but to be honest, there's the matter of what photos and stuff were approved by Impossible Pictures for use in the supplement, as well as the fact that lots of illustrations from on-line may or may not require copyrights. That said, lots of images are available on the internet for some of the creatures that do not come from the series, and you can do worse than finding something on-line that appeals to you, print that out, and show it to your players. That's what I've done with lots of the new beasties and creatures that I've created for the game myself.
Cigarman wrote: Also would have liked to have seen a few more crunchy bits (new rules).
Now you've got me curious... Rules covering what sort of things?
"You have no idea how revealing dung can be." - Stephen Hart (He tastes the pteranodon dung.) "That's just not right." - Captain Tom Ryan (Primeval Ep 1.5)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

DavetheLost

Post by DavetheLost » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:59 pm

I spent about two hours on google image search the other day finding at least one image for each of the creatures that are statted out in the two game books. Lots to choose from. Quite an impressive list of available beasties as well, something in the neighborhood of 100.

A Primeval Bestiary with illustration, game stats, and real world natural history would be a great supplement book to see in he future, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it. Many because there information is already so readily available.

Personally my wish for Companion 2 is game stats and information from Series 4&5, the novels, and Mew World.

I am trying to think what actual new rules and crunch content I would like to see. Most of it comes down to more critters, and the gamer gear head love of guns, gadgets and gear, vehicles, etc. and in point of fact I don't feel a pressing need for lots of that. I run fairly rules light, so "heavy handgun" and "light handgun" are just fine for me. If I need the exact details of a particular model I can look them up easily enough.

I do have some questions on Anomalies that I don't think have been answered yet, such as do they map to the same location spacially but different points temporally. Does an Anomaly in water at one end open in water at the other? Does England in the present always open to England in the past or future?

Beran

Post by Beran » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:09 pm

DavetheLost wrote: I do have some questions on Anomalies that I don't think have been answered yet, such as do they map to the same location spacially but different points temporally. Does an Anomaly in water at one end open in water at the other? Does England in the present always open to England in the past or future?
I haven't read all the info on the Anomalies in the books, yet. But, my guess is you can have any number of "types". One could be completely stable linking the same places every time it opens. You could have one with a fixed point and the other jumps around specially, and you could have one that jumps around on both ends. The science of the Anomalies is pretty much dictated by what is needed to drive the story forward.

As to the water question, I don't see why that couldn't occur. My guess is that it hasn't as having a creature that needs water to survive suddenly showing up in Hyde Park wouldn't really be an interesting episode with it flopping around trying to breath. Though as we have seen in the ep with the Fog Worms the environment from one era can seep into the other through an open Anomaly. So, having a geyser of water suddenly appear in a public location on our end would cause its own problems for the ARC.