More WFRP news! The Enemy Within and First Edition

All the Cubicle 7 news
Jon Hodgson

More WFRP news! The Enemy Within and First Edition

Post by Jon Hodgson » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Yesterday we talked about the planned release for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition in mid-2018, and gave you the first look at the covers of the initial products. Today we’ve got some news about some old favourites.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay First Edition
We’ve been working on bringing more of WFRP First Edition to PDF. We all love First Edition, and there’s just so much brilliant material that we want to make available in electronic format. The “colour plates” version of the WFRP 1st Edition core rulebook will go on sale this week!

Just like we did for the Hogshead Edition offered as part of the Humble Bundle, we’ve made a very crisp, clean, fully bookmarked PDF. It’s been a joy to revisit the game where our core team began their adventuring careers!

Fourth Edition design lead Dominic McDowall said, “WFRP First Edition was my first ever roleplaying game. Everyone working on the new edition has a deep well of affection for First Edition, and it’s great to be bringing it back!

“But we’re not stopping there. We’re creating some beautiful PDFs of the original WFRP super-campaign: the Enemy Within. Keep an eye on our newsletter, website and social media for more news!”

The Enemy Within – Director’s Cut
This brings us neatly round to yet another exciting piece of news. To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of The Enemy Within Campaign we’re going to be releasing an updated deluxe, “Directors Cut” edition of The Enemy Within Campaign for Fourth Edition!

The mighty Graeme Davis has joined the team to steer this ship (or should that be river barge?). The Enemy Within was one of the best-loved RPG campaigns ever made, and we want to give the shiny new anniversary edition it deserves!

We’ll have lots of news over the coming weeks and months, so make sure you subscribe to the newsletter and keep an eye on our website and social media!
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

AdolphusAltdorfer

Re: More WFRP news! The Enemy Within and First Edition

Post by AdolphusAltdorfer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:05 pm

Well, since I "demanded" the participation of mr Davis in the other thread, and was promptly rewarded, I think I will start demanding a lot of other stuff! After all, it seems to work!

Cool news. Thanks

Now ... how to get in on the playtest? :P
The Altdorf Correspondent

Download the most detailed map of the Old World city of Altdorf and hit the streets in search of grim and perilous adventure.

http://altdorfer.blogspot.se/2012/12/ia ... nload.html

Karl Sanford

Post by Karl Sanford » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Dammit. I was hoping for another cover preview...

A deluxe anniversary edition has me chomping at the bit. Nonetheless, a proper ending and a less railroady Kislev and I'm a happy man.

Fatpob

Post by Fatpob » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:19 pm

TEW is simply the greatest campaign ever written, I foresee a return to the old kingdom in 2018.

farwyl

Post by farwyl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Excellent! Prepare for +1 Day one preorder. :)
Keep up the amazingly great work!

Ps.: In the mean time I'll gobble up the remaining AiME books I don't yet have.

Orin J.

Post by Orin J. » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Quick question- I've heard some grumbling online i haven't been able to confirm about 4th edition possibly not being compatible with 1st-2nd work and/or using a different system from the jobs progression according to an in-person announcement. Is there any way someone can put this disconcerting rumor to rest for me?

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:58 am

I'd say read the thread, but then I'd get told off for not being helpful enough. However do not believe anything that you may have been told, only what C7 (Jon Hodgson/Dom McDowell) actually wrote or said in a video.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:58 am

Orin J. wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:18 pm
Quick question- I've heard some grumbling online i haven't been able to confirm about 4th edition possibly not being compatible with 1st-2nd work and/or using a different system from the jobs progression according to an in-person announcement. Is there any way someone can put this disconcerting rumor to rest for me?
I've been slightly bamboozled by the framing of the quesiton if I'm honest. Bear with me!

No edition of the game to date has been entirely backwards compatible. Clearly some editions are easier than others to work between. I'm not entirely sure why there's an expectation that they would have backwards compatibility as a design goal. If you want to play First, Second or Third Edition WFRP because it's your favourite rule set, then we're all for that! Go for it! And of course we'll be doing our very best to provide exciting new material that draws as many people as possible to the new Fourth Edition.

What I would advise everyone to do is to hold tight for the system previews and more solid information as we draw closer to release.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

AdolphusAltdorfer

Post by AdolphusAltdorfer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Jon Hodgson wrote: I'm not entirely sure why there's an expectation that they would have backwards compatibility as a design goal.
I think it is about ease of use of older material while still playing the latest edition. For example, being able to drop in my NPCs without having to convert them will save time for me, and makes a transition to the newer rules easier for my ongoing campaign.

For me v1 and v2 was close enough for that. 3rd was not, so we had to do more conversions on the fly for that.

That said, backwards compatibility is not a priority for me personally, it is more important that the proper WFRP feel is present in the rules.

Regards

/Adolphus
The Altdorf Correspondent

Download the most detailed map of the Old World city of Altdorf and hit the streets in search of grim and perilous adventure.

http://altdorfer.blogspot.se/2012/12/ia ... nload.html

King Eirik

Post by King Eirik » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:28 am

As AdolphusAltdorfer said: the WFRP feel have to be present in the rules. If Cubicle will work on the rules and improve them, that's very good. Why would anybody make a RPG that has no progression in their editions? I can't barely wait to see more previews :)
The King is dead! Long live the King!