Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game Announced!

All the Cubicle 7 news
Fatpob

Re: Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game Announced!

Post by Fatpob » Wed May 31, 2017 1:46 pm

the kharadron overlords - a brand new race - not dwarves one bit - totally new and never before conceived by any mortal mind

Lord Kragan

Post by Lord Kragan » Wed May 31, 2017 3:55 pm

Fatpob wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 1:46 pm
the kharadron overlords - a brand new race - not dwarves one bit - totally new and never before conceived by any mortal mind
Never before did they make such a statement. Hell, they are indeed classified as the dwarven equivalent of the setting in the very same army-book of their faction (Kharadron Overlords is a more political term rather than "racial") so I don't know where did you get that idea from.
Plus the phrase was more that THEM (GW) in their creation process didn't think of it before. And dutch-east-india-company survivalist aetherpunk dwarves isn't really that abundant. :D

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Wed May 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Lord Kragan wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 3:55 pm
Fatpob wrote:
Never before did they make such a statement. Hell, they are indeed classified as the dwarven equivalent of the setting in the very same army-book of their faction (Kharadron Overlords is a more political term rather than "racial") so I don't know where did you get that idea from.
Plus the phrase was more that THEM (GW) in their creation process didn't think of it before. And dutch-east-india-company survivalist aetherpunk dwarves isn't really that abundant. :D
Yeah, they're actually pretty cool. Diggy hole dwarves are cool too, but aetherpunk is rad.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Lord Kragan

Post by Lord Kragan » Wed May 31, 2017 4:14 pm

zedturtle wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 4:12 pm
Lord Kragan wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 3:55 pm
Fatpob wrote:
Yeah, they're actually pretty cool. Diggy hole dwarves are cool too, but aetherpunk is rad.
Technically they also dig holes. Some of the clouds in chamon are made of dense combinations of metals, which give them a kind of candy-cotton texture according to the books. These are mined on occassion by the Kharadron, though they prefer to get to the gold.

Lord Kragan

Post by Lord Kragan » Wed May 31, 2017 7:32 pm

So, mister Hodgson, would you kindly answer a few questions that have been gnawing at me?

-A friend of mine who spoke with you commented that, while you hadn't entirely decided yet, you were thinking of making a fallout style game: us being a band of survivors of the Age of Chaos who are getting out to explore the world. So my question is this: will the game happen at the current point of the timeline, where the cities are already flourishing and stuff like Hammerhal and Excelsis and frequent contact with the overlords are a thing, or are you interested in taking a prior point of the covered timeline like the inmediate aftermath of the Season of War and build up the path that led to the current status quo?

-Will you focus on one realm (with Ghyran and Chamon being the best bets, as they have the most civilization and still have danger) or will you try to cover them all in all books?

-Will you cover the possibility of belonging to all the alliances? As in (for example), could we be either tribesmen of Aqshy sworn to Khorne, citizens of the three Seeds of Hope loyal to the forces of Sigmar, citizens from the Sundom of Tyria on Ghur who tip toe the line between Order and neutrality, or even people from the realm of death trying to claw their way up to Nagash's personal coterie as they hunt for necromantic knowledge and raise their own empires?

-Will you do a splatbook regarding the damned City of Shadespire? There seems to be a lot going on there. :P

I think these are more or less all the questions I have. Thank you very much for your time (and the great effort you're going to make, you always do!)

Dorrin

Post by Dorrin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Really pleased to hear of this development. Hence registering to post here.

Long time RP'er (I'm 45 😂 ), I grew up RPing up and down the Reik and have many fond memories. More than anything though from Fantasy Roleplay, TT gaming and reading fiction they all build such a rich environment that fed in to each other.

This has that same potential. Develop a world that fiction can spring from. Use that fiction to springboard in to scenarios and campaigns in the RPG that in turn can manifest ideas in AoS. Bring new characters to life and introduce new players in to either of the formats.

For me, expanding the lore and bring new cities and lands to life (and new races such as Kharadron and Sigmarites, Fyreslayers and Sylvaneth ).

👍🏻

Heroic Ratcatcher

Post by Heroic Ratcatcher » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:33 pm

I registered just now, only to say that it's great to hear that Age of Sigmar gets a professional RPG treatment from you guys!
I'm very much looking forward to Cubicle7's interpretation of the interesting (yet sparse) background of AoS' setting. My own experiences with the WH RPG are meager at best so I can't tell which direction the new rules should take. But hopefully it will not fear to incorporate some kind of 'newschool' design philosophy. Oldschool RPGs are nice and should prosper. But if there are even two Warhammer RPGs planned, then at least one of them should try out something new. :)

Also I think that grim and gritty has its place and the Old World has some charme. But if I can play in an uber fantastic, glamorous high fantasy setting with a lingering Planescape vibe, then count me in.

Consona

Post by Consona » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:52 am

Heroic Ratcatcher wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:33 pm
But if there are even two Warhammer RPGs planned, then at least one of them should try out something new. :)
Definitely. Just make something new that reflects the larger than life over the top high fantasy nature of AoS.
Heroic Ratcatcher wrote:
Also I think that grim and gritty has its place and the Old World has some charme. But if I can play in an uber fantastic, glamorous high fantasy setting with a lingering Planescape vibe, then count me in.
Yea, as much as I'm excited for WHFR 4e setting going back to 1e with some 2e stuff, I really cannot wait for this new world that's a mixture of high epic fantasy with Planescape vibe yet with some Warhammer flavour, sounds awesome to me. :mrgreen:

Lord Kragan

Post by Lord Kragan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:18 am

Consona wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:52 am
Heroic Ratcatcher wrote:
But if there are even two Warhammer RPGs planned, then at least one of them should try out something new. :)
Definitely. Just make something new that reflects the larger than life over the top high fantasy nature of AoS.
Heroic Ratcatcher wrote:
Yea, as much as I'm excited for WHFR 4e setting going back to 1e with some 2e stuff, I really cannot wait for this new world that's a mixture of high epic fantasy with Planescape vibe yet with some Warhammer flavour, sounds awesome to me. :mrgreen:
The thing is, that Age of Sigmar isn't just larger than life and over the top. I mean, while several factions do have this as a hat it's not true for all of them.
Just for example the Kharadron Overlords: their main hero is literally the son of a dockworker who said: "I'm going to make my dream and pa's come true and work my ass to achieve it". That's his main character, as well as being a daredevil and hardworker.

Heroic Ratcatcher

Post by Heroic Ratcatcher » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Lord Kragan wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:18 am
Just for example the Kharadron Overlords: their main hero is literally the son of a dockworker who said: "I'm going to make my dream and pa's come true and work my ass to achieve it". That's his main character, as well as being a daredevil and hardworker.
I didn't read anything on the cloud dwarves yet, but that certainly sound like a fresh premise. :) And you are certainly right - AoS isn't just purple Dragons on LSD. But it isn't just restricted to the grim and gritty fantasy style of old either. Maybe there can be spots for both styles in the new RPG.