Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game Announced!

All the Cubicle 7 news
Lord Kragan

Re: Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game Announced!

Post by Lord Kragan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Heroic Ratcatcher wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:19 pm
Lord Kragan wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:18 am
Just for example the Kharadron Overlords: their main hero is literally the son of a dockworker who said: "I'm going to make my dream and pa's come true and work my ass to achieve it". That's his main character, as well as being a daredevil and hardworker.
I didn't read anything on the cloud dwarves yet, but that certainly sound like a fresh premise. :) And you are certainly right - AoS isn't just purple Dragons on LSD. But it isn't just restricted to the grim and gritty fantasy style of old either. Maybe there can be spots for both styles in the new RPG.
This.

Let's not deny it, there's weird stuff roaming up there (looking at you Shadespire) but there's also a ton of stuff that's not too different from the old world (which some of the novels have showcased, if not much though).

I honestly await with exciting what Cubicle 7 can do. Surely something beautiful.

Consona

Post by Consona » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:10 am

I don't want a new setting to resemble the old one more than it's necessary to still have that feeling of Empire vs Chaos vs Orcs, etc., but on steroids in this case. AoS is a pure uber-cool high epic fantasy, I don't need to save cats from trees in it. AoS is about hopping into another plane where there's a citadel of Chaos which needs to be destroyed.

I hope the setting will evoke the feeling of other-worldliness, high magic, awesome cosmic/planes stuff, not some mundane ****. :mrgreen:

It's about super-epic larger than life stuff like this. Just look at those pictures, it's totally over the top and out there.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 pm

* Pops up silently like a Meerkat, observes without comment. Returns to his grim dark hole in the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay forum*

Heroic Ratcatcher

Post by Heroic Ratcatcher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Paid a bod yn dwp wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 pm
* Pops up silently like a Meerkat, observes without comment. Returns to his grim dark hole in the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay forum*
He mustn't hide! He mustn't run! Grab him, don him some Sigmarite Armour! Infuse him with the GODLY GLITTER!

Lord Kragan

Post by Lord Kragan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 pm

Paid a bod yn dwp wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 pm
Off to Excelsis with you, where you will hunt down rats like this fine gentleman!

(well, he's technically from Hammerhal, but all Manlings look the same to me.)
Consona wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:10 am
I don't want a new setting to resemble the old one more than it's necessary to still have that feeling of Empire vs Chaos vs Orcs, etc., but on steroids in this case. AoS is a pure uber-cool high epic fantasy, I don't need to save cats from trees in it. AoS is about hopping into another plane where there's a citadel of Chaos which needs to be destroyed.

I hope the setting will evoke the feeling of other-worldliness, high magic, awesome cosmic/planes stuff, not some mundane ****. :mrgreen:

It's about super-epic larger than life stuff like this. Just look at those pictures, it's totally over the top and out there.
Frankly, if the last and the upcoming books, they seem to me moving away "a bit" (mind you, shenanigans like transdimensional doomwheels are going to be a thing apparently a thing).

It DOES have that running around but it's not JUST that anymore. In short: we can have both. Maybe at the same time. Be a stormcast who goes to crusades and misions and, when deployment is done, go visit his great-grandchildren and bake bread with the family (this is by the way absolutely canon).

But you've made me think a bit. Will we get mechanics/quests given by the gods? A few of the latter novels (like Nagash Undying King or the upcoming 8 lamentations trilogy) turn around the gods commanding mortals, be their followers or rag tag teams, to do missions. Would be interesting for sure to do things like recovering the Fang of Khadon or infiltrating and extracting something from Grungi's once sacred Forge City.

Consona

Post by Consona » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Lord Kragan wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 pm
It DOES have that running around but it's not JUST that anymore. In short: we can have both. Maybe at the same time. Be a stormcast who goes to crusades and misions and, when deployment is done, go visit his great-grandchildren and bake bread with the family (this is by the way absolutely canon).
Wow, what a way to ruin it for me. :roll:

At first, they've made this super-awesome visuals and universe, and everybody lost their minds how non-Warhammery it was, that it looked like Space Marines visited Old World, too high fantasy, etc. Now after some time when people start to accept what AoS is about, producers start to back-pedal and try to make it more normal and mundane when in a fact, it's quite the opposite. :cry:

I was so excited about this setting because it was so over the top, now it starts to feel underwhelming. Just play to the strengths of the material rather than try to be everything, even more so when this is clearly not that kind of thing. It's about so heavily armored dudes it's totally absurd, it should not resemble "normal" in any way.

This is how absolutely fantastic things in AoS look, let's build the game and setting around that feeling!

Now I'm just sitting here and refreshing Games Workshop site, waiting for "children baking a bread" miniature. :x :roll: :lol:

Lord Kragan

Post by Lord Kragan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Consona wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:10 pm
Lord Kragan wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 pm
Wow, what a way to ruin it for me. :roll:

At first, they've made this super-awesome visuals and universe, and everybody lost their minds how non-Warhammery it was, that it looked like Space Marines visited Old World, too high fantasy, etc. Now after some time when people start to accept what AoS is about, producers start to back-pedal and try to make it more normal and mundane when in a fact, it's quite the opposite. :cry:

I was so excited about this setting because it was so over the top, now it starts to feel underwhelming. Just play to the strengths of the material rather than try to be everything, even more so when this is clearly not that kind of thing. It's about so heavily armored dudes it's totally absurd, it should not resemble "normal" in any way.

This is how absolutely fantastic things in AoS look, let's build the game and setting around that feeling!

Now I'm just sitting here and refreshing Games Workshop site, waiting for "children baking a bread" miniature. :x :roll: :lol:
First thing first: don't be so patronizing. Right now your last quote made you sound like a total jerk. Second thing: you're really nitpicking and focusing only on some of the new minis (for example, revenants are not that different from old treekin). While plenty of new factions have gone and amped the aspect of their theme a lot, there's also the older ones which still form part of the setting. And what's this "backpedalling" nonsense? They've ALWAYS had bits of normalcy thrown in. Just that there's more of them now since they managed to rebuild. But that's been the intent all along of the series of the Realmgate Wars, to restore order and build civilization so we could have a safe haven for the average joe. It's been a cumulative progress.

And as for trying to be everything,that's the very essence of the warhammer settings. While Fantasy was "dark and gritty" it had extremely over the top moments in its setting such as the time where Kroak halted an entire chaos invasion, Nagahs's assencion and the creation of the vampires, or when the Vortex itself was created. 40k, while it does have over the top scenes, also has very subdued moments such as when inquisitors conduct their investigations.

The realms in themselves are gargantuan (basically our solar system in terms of size when combined) so there's space to fit both the Massive worms that lug around abandoned metropolis, rainfalls of silver and the Spider engines that house entire towns with Johny the Ratcatcher, Larry the weaver and Timmy the brewer... only that Johny lives in a city the size of a continent split in two dimensions and his house is next to a great rift filled with lava, Larry is actually a soul planted into a plant and given eternal life of sorts and Timmy the brewer makes his ale with the guts of flying giant sharks and only accepts shards of prophecy (aka: glimmerings). "Normal" is very relative a term in the Realms XD

Consona

Post by Consona » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Patronizing? Pls, it was just a rant, so don't take it that seriously. I didn't mean to offend anybody, and that "children baking a bread" thing, it was just a joke. Whatever. Sorry.

But I mean, I look at all those miniatures portraying all those super awesome things and my mind goes like...

Lord Kragan wrote:And as for trying to be everything,that's the very essence of the warhammer settings.
I was hoping AoS will try something a little different than be a WH setting with more badass armors.

Lord Kragan

Post by Lord Kragan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Consona wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:45 pm
Patronizing? Pls, it was just a rant, so don't take it that seriously. I didn't mean to offend anybody, and that "children baking a bread" thing, it was just a joke. Whatever. Sorry.

But I mean, I look at all those miniatures portraying all those super awesome things and my mind goes like...

Lord Kragan wrote:And as for trying to be everything,that's the very essence of the warhammer settings.
I was hoping AoS will try something a little different than be a WH setting with more badass armors.
Hey, it's almost as adorable as my Mawkrusha Mister Bubbles! *pets plastic monster*

Beneath the armor a stormcast is but a normal man or woman, with its fears, yearnings, and passions. Liberators are literally common citizens, mostly civilians, who were pushed past the breaking point either because they were about to be killed or their families were in danger and thus they gunned for a desperate last stand, either for them or their beloved ones. Them becoming stormcasts isn't something to become badass but to ensure the future of those that they held most dear (and their descendants). This, of course, doesn't take into account people reforged more than thrice. Good luck getting emotions out of those poor husks who at this point are closer to a daemon than anything else.

The issue is pretty obvious, with all due respect, you're just guiding yourself through images and photos. Your perception is being shallow and one-dimensional. Just going by images you're missing a ton of context and background detail. My recommendation is that you grab city of secrets (for the everyman details) and Pestilens and Mortarch of night (which feature quite outlandish elements such as a desert made out of dried blood, the aforementioned worm city and a loyal skaven, amongst other highlights). They are a great pathway to grasping the setting.
Last edited by Lord Kragan on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:13 pm

Having different opinions about the Age of Sigmar is a-okay. Expressing those opinions are a-okay. Attacking other posters is NOT a-okay. It's z-very bad.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.