Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
Karl Sanford

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Karl Sanford » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:18 am

I always find the most joy comes when background information - whether it be races, locations, history - is best revealed through published scenarios and, preferably campaigns, rather than presented in its own sourcebook.

That's one of the many reasons why The Enemy Within was so fantastic: you felt like the world was being revealed as you travelled the length of the Reik.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Karl Sanford wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:18 am
I always find the most joy comes when background information - whether it be races, locations, history - is best revealed through published scenarios and, preferably campaigns, rather than presented in its own sourcebook.

That's one of the many reasons why The Enemy Within was so fantastic: you felt like the world was being revealed as you travelled the length of the Reik.
Yes I agree with this totally. Time is more scarce these days. Adventure/Campaign plus great setting material is the way to go IMO. It short cuts to the essence of the fun - The adventure

As Cubicle 7 are probably frantically scrambling to reintroduce Gnomes to WFRP (having read my previous post), heres another link to Gnomic characters in WFRP:

http://oldhammerroleplay.blogspot.co.uk ... nomes.html

farwyl

Post by farwyl » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:51 pm

As for myself, I like separate regional sourcebooks with a separate adventure anthology or campaign books tied to them, exactly how The One Ring line is released.

farwyl

Post by farwyl » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Robin Low wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:12 pm

So, I want WFRP4 to have a familiar, straight forward system that doesn't get in the way of roleplaying and atmosphere. A system where it doesn't require much thought to take something from any previous edition and adapt it.

I want scenarios coming out of the wazzooo. It works for CoC, which C7 writes for, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work for WFRP. Just don't give me another scenario about Skaven and Warpstone. Give me a story about the Alchemist who gets his hands on a damaged Warpfire Thrower, or the about the Skaven tunnelling into the Imperial Altdorf Bakeries to steal the Schwarz Kirsche Bakewells destined for official welcoming of the new Bretonnian Ambassador, or about how the PCs are recruited as deniable agents of the Cult of Morr to spy on the activities of a notable With Hunter working under Church of Sigmar authority.

I want to see Lustria and Norsca. I'm not really interested in High Elves and Ulthuan, but lots of other WFRP fans are, so give 'em a damn sourcebook! There's no such thing as too much background, as any GM is free to use, adapt or reject as they see fit.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Ps.: I'm one of those guys who'd love an Ulthuan sourcebook.

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:40 pm

farwyl wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:57 pm
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Ps.: I'm one of those guys who'd love an Ulthuan sourcebook.
Thanks!

I wouldn't mind an Ulthuan sourcebooks as long as:

1) it steps beyond the military history that we've already seen repeatedly in the Army books

2) it provides a solid reason to travel to and spend time there - the obvious solution to this is a campaign structure, probably tied to diplomatic and/or trading missions

3) it steps beyond the obvious - tell me about weird old Elf hermits in the mountains, about the mysterious fish-singers of Tiranoc, or why candles and lanterns are considered cursed items in the Shadowlands. Please don't categorise the regions based on their favoured method of warfare.

Regards,

Robin

farwyl

Post by farwyl » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:29 am

I agree! Having never played the tabletop wargame myself, I've just read through the 8E high elven armybook. While it had some content that would translate fine to the rpg, a supplement would need a lot more personal level details. The examples you've mentioned would be awesome.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:17 pm

Robin Low wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:40 pm
Please don't categorise the regions based on their favoured method of warfare.
Yes to take this further, I hope for a move away from the war orientated aesthetic of WFB. I found the 2ed WFRP cover too much in the WFB mould, lots of bodies war and killing with no where for the eye to rest, not quite the right balance.
I liked the original WFRP 1ed cover, It successfully reinvented classic fantasy archetypes, whilst managing to feel new & refreshed. Pretty much what the game intended. In particular It showed the grittiness of the game ( thinking those deadly crits, and punk renaissance ).

Hopefully cubicle 7 will have more creative freedom with WFRP, now that GW have moved onto new things. I 'm sure they will come up with a great reinvention. By the way I think John Hodgson would be a great choice for taking those classic career illustrations forward to the new edition. I think he strikes the right balance.

Lord Kragan

Post by Lord Kragan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:39 pm

farwyl wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:29 am
I agree! Having never played the tabletop wargame myself, I've just read through the 8E high elven armybook. While it had some content that would translate fine to the rpg, a supplement would need a lot more personal level details. The examples you've mentioned would be awesome.
For high elven bits for an RPG one would be best served with the duology Defenders of Ulthuan/Sons of Ellyrion.

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:25 pm

farwyl wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:29 am
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

I suppose the real challenge of Ulthuan is that it's as big, if not bigger than The Empire. I don't believe for a second that all those Kingdoms are united - I envisage considerable intrigue and mannered feuding, and plots and scheme decades in the planning. Perhaps the novels that Lord Kragan mentions already covers such stuff.

The forests of Avelorn and Cothique are probably totally different from either Athel Loren or Laurelorn, so you have entirely different High Wood Elf cultures to think about.

I'm imagining a Low Elf culture, too. The group that farms and crafts and fetches and carries. The Not-So-Fair Folk who toil and sweat and smell. Not as bad as Dwarfs, of course, but best kept out of sight. Or perhaps Ulthuan is where all the Gnomes went.

Ulthuan is probably a worthy project, but a big one.

Regards,

Robin

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Paid a bod yn dwp wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:17 pm
Robin Low wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:40 pm
Please don't categorise the regions based on their favoured method of warfare.
Yes to take this further, I hope for a move away from the war orientated aesthetic of WFB. I found the 2ed WFRP cover too much in the WFB mould, lots of bodies war and killing with no where for the eye to rest, not quite the right balance.
I know where you've coming from, but I suppose we should embrace the name of the game. It might not be all about balance, but about focus. Rather than thinking about the huge wars and Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghs, we need to think about the little people. What's it like living in a village where raids from small tribes of beastmen or goblins are a real threat? Who actually protects the wheat fields that feed The Empire from fire and theft? In the towns and cities, what happens when rival gangs - thieves or Snotball fans - go to war? The Colleges of Magic? Bandits?

And who's benefiting financially from all these wars? Somebody is making, shipping and selling swords. Some people are discretely (or not-so) obtaining, buying and/or selling information. Someone else is brokering deals between Disgruntled Party A and Mercenary B to kick the living what-not out of Inconvenient Party C's Militia.

Take these small wars and make them part of the PCs' small world.

Regards,

Robin