Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
Trippy

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Trippy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Not that fussed on the logo, but it'd be an easy fix regardless.

Anyway, the Starter Set cover looks like the scene immediately before the Core Rules cover....so how did the dude holding the pistols manage to leap to the top of stairs?

CapnZapp

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by CapnZapp » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:51 pm

The initial plan was to make some small updates to [] second edition
Thnak god they didn't do that.

While I love 2nd Ed, re-releasing it would have been a massive anti-climax.

Actually, I didn't and couldn't believe that that was what they were going to do. Yes, they referenced 2nd ed in their early blurb, but I couldn't even think that would be more than just inspiration.

Not only do I already have all of 2nd edition, it really, and I say this with love - it has a few rather glaring issues (most pressingly, the way you must choose between moving and attacking once you have an Attacks score of 2+).

I really had convinced myself they would generally update the whole game and leave 2nd ed behind. Seems I just dodged a bullet.

FeloniousMonk

Post by FeloniousMonk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Robin Low wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:03 pm
=

I'd be very interested in knowing who "all the Warhammer fans we’ve been talking to" actually are. Anyone know?

Regards,

Robin
This.

Strike To Stun is THE largest online community for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay fans (and unifies all editions into one forum), and Cubicle 7 hasn't spoken a word to anyone over there about it.

AdolphusAltdorfer

Post by AdolphusAltdorfer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:18 pm

FeloniousMonk wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:45 pm
Robin Low wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:03 pm
=

I'd be very interested in knowing who "all the Warhammer fans we’ve been talking to" actually are. Anyone know?

Regards,

Robin
This.

Strike To Stun is THE largest online community for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay fans (and unifies all editions into one forum), and Cubicle 7 hasn't spoken a word to anyone over there about it.
Presumably they've talked to Graeme Davis, since he's in on the Director's Cut of TEW, and is a member of StS. Maybe others have been approached but asked to lay low about it?

/M
The Altdorf Correspondent

Download the most detailed map of the Old World city of Altdorf and hit the streets in search of grim and perilous adventure.

http://altdorfer.blogspot.se/2012/12/ia ... nload.html

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:49 pm

AdolphusAltdorfer wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:18 pm
Presumably they've talked to Graeme Davis, since he's in on the Director's Cut of TEW, and is a member of StS. Maybe others have been approached but asked to lay low about it?

/M
Yes indeed. We talk to all sorts of people. Some of whom have NDAs, some gentlemen's agreements to hold their water for now.

I was trying to work out the total number of fans we've met just across Warhammer Fest, GenCon, Origins, UK Games Expo, Pax U (edit! Forgot Essen!!!). It's tens of thousands. The people that are sent to quiz us for news sites tend to be a little bit inflexible in their approach, so they don't get a lot from us. If you can relax and just chat WFRP, there's plenty to talk about, and we've really enjoyed meeting so many fans and hear what they're looking forward to, or concerned about. The excitement is really infectious.

Personally Warhammer Fest was my favourite event we did this year. The vibe was so incredibly positive, and it was an amazing event. Most people there didn't even realise there was a Warhammer RPG of any type, and we really want to reach those people. We had a little museum there of all the editions of WFRP, and it was lovely to see both the happy memories running across the older players' faces, and the new discovery for those who had no idea. Loads of laughs around the copies of Realm of Chaos we had there. Lots of attempts to steal them! :)

There was a really long report from a forum member at Strike to Stun about chatting to us at Warhammer Fest. He actually scooped a load of information that no one seemed to beleive at the time.

And these days, a lot is happening on Facebook. In 2 hours we had over a thousand interactions (views were way beyond that) with our news item yesterday. Most forums generated only a couple of comments and a couple of dozen views in that time. So we tend to spend the most time where it is most effective.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:49 pm

I was trying to work out the total number of fans we've met just across Warhammer Fest, GenCon, Origins, UK Games Expo, Pax U (edit! Forgot Essen!!!). It's tens of thousands.
I must admit, when I asked the question I'd misinterpreted the bit I quoted as meaning experienced fans who C7 had actively sought out and engaged with for advice and direct input. My bad, as the young folk used to say.

Oh, and yeah, NDAs, gentlemen's agreements, I appreciate that aspect of the situation.
There was a really long report from a forum member at Strike to Stun about chatting to us at Warhammer Fest. He actually scooped a load of information that no one seemed to beleive at the time.
Would that be this one?

http://forum.strike-to-stun.net/viewtop ... sc&start=0

To be fair, that's nine lines, not a long report... and for the most part the responses take the news at face value and are pretty optimistic and positive. I just hope that I'm wrong and Lustria is focused on Amazons, Norsemen and skinny tribal froggies. Let's see some real first edition stuff!

And these days, a lot is happening on Facebook. In 2 hours we had over a thousand interactions (views were way beyond that) with our news item yesterday. Most forums generated only a couple of comments and a couple of dozen views in that time. So we tend to spend the most time where it is most effective.
Ah, well, that's a shame.

Regards,

Robin

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:33 am

You’re right Robin, in my enthusiasm I overstated by saying “really long report”. In the context of how much he spoke about, right after the initial announcement, I remember the ensuIng discussion seeming a lot more extensive than it now looks!

My intended point was that we’ve spoken with lots of people who use Strike To Stun. Both as customers at events, and privately, under NDA for their input. But I think that’s clear now.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:55 am

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:33 am
You’re right Robin, in my enthusiasm I overstated by saying “really long report”. In the context of how much he spoke about, right after the initial announcement, I remember the ensuIng discussion seeming a lot more extensive than it now looks!

My intended point was that we’ve spoken with lots of people who use Strike To Stun. Both as customers at events, and privately, under NDA for their input. But I think that’s clear now.
Indeed it is.

And thanks for taking the time to reply so extensively - I imagine you've all been fairly busy with getting ready for Dragonmeet.

Regards,

Robin

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:58 pm

I was just having a look at Ralph Horsley's new covers again and comparing them with covers he did for Black Industries and WFRP2. These new pieces really are significantly better, not merely in subject matter but also the colours. There's a far greater clarity to them.

I do miss his black and white work, though. He did some fantastic pen and ink pieces for Marienburg: Sold down the River and Warpstone.

Regards,

Robin

farwyl

Post by farwyl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:30 pm

As many of us have written before me, I'm also glad that the new edition will feature more C7 input. It's nice to hear that 1e had a lot of impact on the writing team, I hope to see more of the 1st edition flavour.
Count me in for the starter set as well.
I like both covers, but I'm also not too keen on the WH logo in this format.