Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
CapnZapp

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by CapnZapp » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:48 am

I seriously hope the WFRP4 rules aren't closely based on the WFRP2 rules.

That edition was inspired by how D&D 3 (d20) handled actions, and particularly how it asked a player to choose between moving and delivering a full action attack (swift attack in WFRP2 parlance). In simple terms: both games ask you to choose between making one (1) attack and moving, or staying still to make all your attacks (based on level in D&D, based on your Attacks characteristic in WFRP).

That turned out to be bad design, since it leads to static combats where people simply doesn't move about (which they should to make the scene "realistic"). It works as intended while everybody still got Attacks 1, but it's too good to double your damage output once you get Attacks 2, so you simply stop taking those half actions that make the combat come alive as an action scene.

Both D&D 4 and D&D 5 have since moved on. D&D4 retained the general rule but then bundled some free movement into various attack powers, more than enough to make battlefields have characters move about plenty. D&D5 simply dumps the restriction completely, allowing you to move up to your Speed for "free", regardless of what attack or attacks you do.

I sincerely hope this is evident to Cubicle 7 and that they will follow suit.

Arioch1973

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Arioch1973 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Well, as far as I understood the news, it will be based on WFRP2. But that might also mean they start there and improve it. I agree with you on the half/half actions. Since in WFRP1 we had a lot more fluid, fun and creative combat encounters, simply because there was no such restrictions as half/full actions.

And I just had an idea. Since I am currently GMin WFRP2 (later today even) I will try to add a simple modification, everyone can take a move action for free, in addition to the other actions. And see how that runs.

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:47 am

Arioch1973 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:48 pm
Well, as far as I understood the news, it will be based on WFRP2. But that might also mean they start there and improve it.
The C7 home page from the 24th May says:

The new edition will return players to Warhammer's grim world of perilous adventure, and takes its direction from the first and second editions of the game.

"Direction" is actually pretty vague and really only says 'not WFRP3'. I'm assuming we're talking a percentile system for the rules and ignoring the Storm of Chaos, but I think that's about as much as we can say.

I'm still hoping they look (or in reality, have looked, because its almost certainly already done) at CoC7.

Regards,

Robin

GRAAK

Post by GRAAK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:45 pm

CapnZapp wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:48 am
I seriously hope the WFRP4 rules aren't closely based on the WFRP2 rules.

That edition was inspired by how D&D 3 (d20) handled actions, and particularly how it asked a player to choose between moving and delivering a full action attack (swift attack in WFRP2 parlance). In simple terms: both games ask you to choose between making one (1) attack and moving, or staying still to make all your attacks (based on level in D&D, based on your Attacks characteristic in WFRP).

That turned out to be bad design, since it leads to static combats where people simply doesn't move about (which they should to make the scene "realistic"). It works as intended while everybody still got Attacks 1, but it's too good to double your damage output once you get Attacks 2, so you simply stop taking those half actions that make the combat come alive as an action scene.

Both D&D 4 and D&D 5 have since moved on. D&D4 retained the general rule but then bundled some free movement into various attack powers, more than enough to make battlefields have characters move about plenty. D&D5 simply dumps the restriction completely, allowing you to move up to your Speed for "free", regardless of what attack or attacks you do.

I sincerely hope this is evident to Cubicle 7 and that they will follow suit.
I love 2nd edition. Even the much despised colored magic!
But only Sigmar knows how much I agree with you on combat actions, swift attacks and movement during the fight!!!

Xyd

Post by Xyd » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:59 am

GRAAK wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:45 pm
Despised colored magic? *scratches head*

I love the magic system, and few players who have been wizards in my game have complemented it.

Arioch1973

Post by Arioch1973 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:06 am

I love the magic system, and few players who have been wizards in my game have complemented it.
1st edition magic was quite a bit more powerful and versatile than the colour magic and the system of 2nd edition. It had also in many ways more "flavour" that suits a roleplaying game, rather than just straight up ported and nerfed (imho) magic from the tabletop battle game.
This is one thing I hope will be remedied with 4th edition.

GRAAK

Post by GRAAK » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Xyd wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:59 am
GRAAK wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Just to clarify I love colored magic!... But it's one of the most criticized aspects of 2nd edition by the 1st edition grognards...

Valvorik

Post by Valvorik » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:00 pm

I think speculating on what the 1st/2nd edition direction means is challenging.

I think 2nd added the most "fluff" to the setting and I'm generally good with it, but 3rd used the same fluff so that's not a distinguishing feature between them.

I'm most hopeful that they use modern design principles that do their utmost to avoid whiff factors, make resolution work without consulting tables etc., and have some of the same spirit their One Ring and Doctor Who games do of reflecting spirit of setting - a world where talking to the gate guard makes sense and where hoping for high shiny heroics to lead to glory does not, where you may think you're playing some knock off of D&D but really it's Call of Cthulhu, where despite there being no resurrection really the real threat is maiming, disease and madness not outright death in battle.

However that takes time (design that bakes in theme) and I don't know how long they have been working on this or if they are taking an existing "engine" and using it.

The other earlier edition tradition to take a cue from is the puns and wordplay, von Saponatheim etc.

Arioch1973

Post by Arioch1973 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 pm

No death in battle? Well that will make the slayers cry....
But on a more serious note. The high lethality in battle, is part of the setting. It is a Grim and Perilous setting, and without the threat of disease, maiming, insanity and death, well it is not so grim and perilous anymore.
The fact that this game ARE grim and perilous, is what makes my players ask for me to GMing it compared to many more modern games where there is a focus on narrative and story telling (among these are The One Ring and Dr Who, but also D&D 5th edition, etc.).

And I agree it is pointless to trying to figure out what that "direction" is. As I think and hope, that there is no point in us trying to influence the outcome of the rule-design, as that most likely is already done and they are now working on layout and bringing it all together into a book to be printed and release at the end of the year.

Everyone have their thing they like or hate with different editions of WFRP. But we all like the setting, or else we would not be here. I went 1986 to 2004 with 1st edition, and if 4th edition, like 3rd edition is not to my liking, I will just continue on with 2nd edition. Because to me that 4th edition gets made, is already a win in my book, as I had thought The Old World written off, dead, gone and never to be brought to life in any form again.
I expect the team to try to be innovative, reinvent the wheel, fit a square peg in a round hole, and probably screw up most of what I like with the game, and instead not focus on what I see needs fixing. And that will be completely different for someone else in their point of view. As such I expect the worst and hope for the best.

I think it might be a bit more productive on figuring out how to use all the fluff and setting material from all editions and bring that all together for use no matter what edition you play, and focus our attention on writing scenarios etc. that can be used regardless of edition you want to use (the old system-less adventures springs to mind.).

fritsk

Post by fritsk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:26 pm

Arioch1973 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 pm
I think it might be a bit more productive on figuring out how to use all the fluff and setting material from all editions and bring that all together for use no matter what edition you play, and focus our attention on writing scenarios etc. that can be used regardless of edition you want to use (the old system-less adventures springs to mind.).
Yep, I hope I like the new system, but I really hope for new fluff and setting material that complements the existing stuff.
If Cubicle7 is able to create a new sandbox / plot point / non-railroady compaign that rivals the enemy within that would be brilliant.
As long as the new fluff / adventures / campaigns are kept relatively separate from the rules crunch I'll be happy.