Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
Paid a bod yn dwp

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 am

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 am
ready to share.
Great! Are they ready yet? :)

Grey Seer

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Grey Seer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:53 am

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Hi All,
We appreciate and share your enthusiasm! We'll update with some more WFRP news, perhaps some pictures, as soon as they're ready to share.
Yeah! *drools*
-Greyh

dottwatson

Post by dottwatson » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Hi All,
We appreciate and share your enthusiasm! We'll update with some more WFRP news, perhaps some pictures, as soon as they're ready to share.
I'm really happy to read this :)
La Locanda delle due Lune - www.wfrp.it

Arioch1973

Post by Arioch1973 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:18 pm

1986 Young me entered the amazing world of gamemastering WFRP. I was hooked forever.
2005 I was overjoyed to see the game being revived again after hogshead kicked the bucket in the 90s, and that it even managed to improve upon some of the mechanics of 1st edition.
2009 I despaired over what they called "WFRP", but had nothing to do with my favorite game.
2017 I am exited over what will become of 4th edition, hoping it will live up to my expectations, and silently dreading the return of what was released 2009...
(I mean no offense to those who enjoyed 3rd edition, but it just do not float my boat)

Most of all, I am amazed it will take place in the Old World, I assumed GW would have killed off this setting permanently. And this announcement comes as I am just starting to run a new WFRP campaign (2nd edition) and contemplating where it will bring the player characters.

Ghostwriter

Post by Ghostwriter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:00 am

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Hi All,
Yes, please! Time to start the warpstone-powered hype machine! ;)

Arioch1973

Post by Arioch1973 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:04 pm

There use to be Dark Reign for Dark Heresy, but Warhammer Fantasy has some spread out sites that are to some extent updated or not. I dont know how to do these things, but I wish we could build a website that is for all things warhammer. Where we could produce fan made adventures, etc. covering the different editions, and fan the embers into a fire for current and upcoming release of Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, as well as the other Warhammer brand games.

Warden

Post by Warden » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm hoping they'll implement a time tick initiative. It's where each action/attack cost a number of seconds and you can do something every second. So if you attacked on count 12 (seconds gone by) and you were attacking with a shortsword (speed 4) you wouldn't be able to attack again until count 16.

Probably not explaining it well, but it's in Hackmaster 5th Edition.

Arioch1973

Post by Arioch1973 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:48 pm

While there are games that benefit from such a detailed initiative system, personally I don't think that fits WFRP that well. Mainly because attacks are not a single swing of a sword etc. The attacks is just the maximum number of successfully landed hits on the opponent. For example, giants have 5 attacks, because they swing a big weapon that sweeps an area.And that is just assuming the rules will be the same.

Staggered attacks tend in my experience to slow down gameplay quite a bit especially if you run an action packed scenario. And the only place where i personally think they fit well is in modern settings where you need a very detailed tactical approach, for example when you are playing a SWAT team etc.

Warden

Post by Warden » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Arioch1973 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:48 pm
While there are games that benefit from such a detailed initiative system, personally I don't think that fits WFRP that well. Mainly because attacks are not a single swing of a sword etc. The attacks is just the maximum number of successfully landed hits on the opponent. For example, giants have 5 attacks, because they swing a big weapon that sweeps an area.And that is just assuming the rules will be the same.
But isn't that just a question of perspective? What if I was to suggest that each successful attack is the result of one attack not many? I would have thought that an ogre with 5 attacks has that - 5 separate attacks, and that it doesn't represent abstractly how powerful a sweep an ogre's attack is.
Arioch1973 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:48 pm
Staggered attacks tend in my experience to slow down gameplay quite a bit especially if you run an action packed scenario. And the only place where i personally think they fit well is in modern settings where you need a very detailed tactical approach, for example when you are playing a SWAT team etc.
I'll be honest, I've never played a game where this sort of initiative was used, so I wouldn't know.

Arioch1973

Post by Arioch1973 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:08 pm

True, it is a matter of perspective regarding the attacks. But the staggered attacks are already in 2nd edition core rules as optional rule on page 130, if you want to use it. If they make it as optional rules like in 2nd edition I would be fine with that.