Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
Warden

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Warden » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Two things I'm certain of

1. Cubicle 7 are not novices when it comes to creating rpgs
2. You cannot please everyone

Grey Seer

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Grey Seer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Warden wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Well said.
-Greyh

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:38 am

I'm curious: how many posters in this thread are familiar with or active on the Strike to Stun forums or the FFG WFRP forums?

I'm trying to get a picture of how many people are established (community) fans and how many people are relatively new.

Regards,

Robin

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:02 am

Paid a bod yn dwp wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:35 pm
Having only played 1ed, I find the concept of a Bretonnia more in the vain of pre revolutionary France more interesting from my roleplaying point of view. You still have this 2 tier class structure, the decadent nobles vs the peasant, but its set in an era that feels more high renaissance then medieval. For me the old version of Bretonnia along with the Empire really helped to distinguish the flavour of WRFP as an alternative renaissance setting. At the time It was quite a statement and contrast to medieval inspired games like D&D.

The Bretonnia of the 2ed is interesting, but the 1ed version of Bretonnia just feels like a better fit to me for a for a high renaissance fantasy world. The associations of arthurian legend just seem too entrenched with medivailist concepts which to my mind waters down the renaissance feel of WFRP - Though of course this could well be a failing of my own imgination :)
I've not done any work on this, but my thinking is that both approaches to Bretonnia should be embraced. One way to do this is seriously rejigging the timeline, so Arthurian Bretonnia becomes history for a current Musketeer Bretonnia.

My other idea is that the two settings sit alongside one another. There is a major schism between town and country, with a hip, young urban nobility embracing floppy hats, fencing swords and Lustrian coffee, while grizzled old armoured knights rule the farmlands from their castles, periodically riding out to hunt giant pigs. They hold one another in utter contempt, but formalities and etiquette are strictly observed. This would need a bit of work, but I think its ripe with plot, character and conflict.

Here, have a plot:

The three big coffee houses in Couronne - Moon-Hind, Coût-aah and Zout Bien - are in the midst of a vicious price war. Profits are being lost, so unscrupulous men and women (preferably foreigners) are sought by all three to undermine their rivals.

Regards,

Robin

farwyl

Post by farwyl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:22 am

Warden wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:31 pm

THIS! Words of wisdom!

farwyl

Post by farwyl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:28 am

Robin Low wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:38 am
I'm curious: how many posters in this thread are familiar with or active on the Strike to Stun forums or the FFG WFRP forums?

I'm trying to get a picture of how many people are established (community) fans and how many people are relatively new.

Regards,

Robin
Strike to Stun member here, though I only joined last year a few months before the Zweihänder kickstarter to hop into discussions of that game. Anyways stalking Strike to Stun discussions made me hunt down a WFRP 1E rulebook. :)

farwyl

Post by farwyl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:33 am

Grey Seer wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:24 pm
I'm honestly not sure where I stand on this issue. But I think that one should consider that the old career system because of the way it was built allowed us to have lots and lots of choices. I'm guessing if we were to allow a new career system where you could stay with a single career it indefinitely it would limit the amount of careers we may be able to have. Thoughts?
I absolutely adore the career system, simply because in my opinion it has a very unique charm. Just give me some wardancers please, like 1E Apocrypha Now.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:55 am

Robin Low wrote:
I'm new, periodically glanced at what has been happening to WFRP but not in any particularly active way :)
Robin Low wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:02 am
I've not done any work on this, but my thinking is that both approaches to Bretonnia should be embraced. One way to do this is seriously rejigging the timeline, so Arthurian Bretonnia becomes history for a current Musketeer Bretonnia.
I think 2ed version of Arthurian Bretonnia could work well as an isolated conservative province or state somewhere in the old world, maybe even in the Empire. But it seems a massive shame to lose that pre revolutionary France feel of original Bretonnia, with musketeers with flopish hats. it seemed like such an important part of the high renaissance old world.

Hellebore

Post by Hellebore » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:49 am

Robin Low wrote:

Regards,

Robin
I was heavily involved in the Black Industries forums but 3rd ed completely destroyed my interest in the game so I had very little to do with the FFG forums.

I joined strike to stun, but never really remained as involved as I was originally.

I've been playing the Dragon Age RPG since it was released and haven't gone back to WFRP.

This new version may bring me back.

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:51 pm

I posted on StS periodically but I didn't find it until well after 2nd Ed died. Third edition really put me off too.