Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
IronHand

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by IronHand » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Even if C7 did nothing more than update / 'remaster' Empire in Flames itself it would be a welcome addition. For such an iconic campaign it's a real shame that the finale is the weakest of all its supplements. A 'companion' book for GMs ala the "Mask of Nyarlathotep Companion" would be useful (although hopefully nothing near the size of that tome!).

Arioch1973

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Arioch1973 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:49 pm

The core of TEW is good and solid, and it could be overhauled to keep the core story, while adjusting some of the weaker parts to better suit role-players of today. Because to be honest, it is still very much a result of late 80s/90s, and what role-players today expect from roleplaying games have changed a bit.

I can not recall any other campaign I have gmed that involved the players into such events on both political and social level, while retaining some of the "adventuring through dungeons" style that was the norm at the time when it was released.

Lord Kragan

Post by Lord Kragan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:52 pm

So when we can get forums for 4E (and the material, of course!)

CRKrueger

Post by CRKrueger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:59 am

WFRP1 was awesome, and I'm much happier that they are going Enemy Within as opposed to Storm of Chaos and End Times. What I would like to see is Cubicle 7 do what they did with The One Ring.

Map out the Old World, give the GM maps of geographical levels of Chaos Infestation/Corruption or something, and do an Epic "Darkening of the Empire" campaign covering the several decades before the Storm of Chaos. Give the PCs the ability to stave off the encroaching Chaos, and purge/cleanse the corruption within. Perhaps there won't even be a Storm of Chaos if the PCs do well.

They did such a great job of "filling in the blanks" when it came to gaps in the Middle-Earth history, it's hard to believe they couldn't do a similar job for the Old World.

Syntezz

Post by Syntezz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:43 am

According to my experience playing other C7 games I'm pretty sure WFRP will be great new edition. So the only question is when we'll be able to lay our hands on it? Can't wait for release.

Grey Seer

Post by Grey Seer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:43 am

I for one am hopeful that C7 will use a variant of the Heroic culture system they developed for TOR. I think it would translate well into the Warhammer world.
-Greyh

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm not sure what is meant by the 'Heroic Culture system' is to be sure, but I'm skeptical because WFRP isn't necessarily about playing 'heroes' as such, and the cultures are distinct in the way they are in The One Ring.

Anyway, one change that could be made, and could be done right if careful, is player character Ogres....

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:07 am

Trippy wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 pm
I'm not sure what is meant by the 'Heroic Culture system' is to be sure, but I'm skeptical because WFRP isn't necessarily about playing 'heroes' as such, and the cultures are distinct in the way they are in The One Ring.
Yes totally agree with this.
Trippy wrote:
Anyway, one change that could be made, and could be done right if careful, is player character Ogres....
Now theres an idea... Perhaps I have slightly tinted (rose/magenta) glasses, but I quite liked that there was an imbalance between some of the careers in 1ed. It really felt appropriate to the social injustices you might expect in the Old World, and gave loads of character to the game. I think there is a bit of danger in trying to over balance careers in WFRP. Homogeneity is not what the old World is about, to my mind there should be grave social injustices and inequality. Players are not all made equal in the Old World...bring on the Ogres! ( and the Gnomes!)

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:13 am

Trippy wrote:
I'm not sure what is meant by the 'Heroic Culture system' is to be sure, but I'm skeptical because WFRP isn't necessarily about playing 'heroes' as such, and the cultures aren't distinct in the way they are in The One Ring.

Grey Seer

Post by Grey Seer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:55 pm

While I agree the "Heroic" part of the Heroic culture system in TOR doesn't necessarily fit this IP, the format would work well. Basically, instead of having a few race choices and 30+ carreers, you would have cultures to choose from. For example, in 2e, there is mechanically no difference between a dwarf shieldbreaker from the Empire or from Karak Kadrin. With the Culture system, every major dwarf settlement could have a slightly different culture giving slightly different talents/skills etc based on the background culture of that Dwarf. This would greatly diversify the player choice and make a meaningful difference in character background. With this system, you could have a different human culture for each province of the Empire for example...and a different Dwarf culture for each major dwarf hold..etc etc. Your starting human from Stirland will have a very different feel and play style from a starting human from Middenhiem for example.

Again, I don't want a clone of the TOR system - as Middle Earth was built for heroic adventures...and Warhammer is...different. But the base of the culture system could bring great flavor and diversity which would fit exceedingly well in a world with so much rich history...like Warhammer.
-Greyh