Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
Splinterbox

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Splinterbox » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:13 pm

I'm really looking forward to the new edition and I love the fact that the 1st edition stuff is available again, thanks to C7 for making that possible.

I do think the new cover art is too 'cartoony' and doesn't gel with this game setting. I really don't mean to take anything away from the artist's ability when I say that. I agree that Ian Miller's work is just incredible and oozes dark atmosphere and intrigue, perfect for WHFRP.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:27 pm

It’s a tricky balance to strike. I guess WFRP 1ed cover had a playful element to its style (compared with John Blanche and Ian miller). I can see why there’s a need to use an artist that can play up that aspect in the cover art. Perhaps if the balance of art is too grim and earnest it misses out on illustrating the fun and ludicrous elements that are in the WFRP game - Be a great job to be in charge of sourcing art for an iconic game like WFRP. No pressure at all :D

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Paid a bod yn dwp wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:27 pm
...Perhaps if the balance of art is too grim and earnest it misses out on illustrating the fun and ludicrous elements that are in the WFRP game ...
This is one area where Martin McKenna's early work was prefect. He could depict both horror and humour absolutely perfectly.

Regards,

Robin

Grey Seer

Post by Grey Seer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:51 pm

I personally loved the artwork and the obvious nod it gave to the first edition. While I agree we all want great artwork, I'm much more interested in seeing what is on the inside of those books. As it is, the covers are beautiful.
-Greyh

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:34 pm

I always felt that even with a grim dark theme the art of WFRP always benefitted from having some *lighter* art pieces to give relief to the darker art work. The sense of fun and gaming is important too along with an accessible game for a wide age range. I also associate black humour and the a sense of the ludicrous, which acts as a good foil to the dark grim of WFRP. I hope the new edition has a similar balance.
Looking forward to seeing the career profiles images.

King Eirik

Post by King Eirik » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:31 am

I could only agree with Grey Seer. The cover image is an hommage to the 1st Edition and - personally - I like it. But the content is much more important ;)
The King is dead! Long live the King!

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:30 pm

For what its worth I think the new covers do a very good job of treading the line between grim dark WFRP, and the fun, ludicrous aspects of the game. I think many will appreciate the nod to the 1ed cover, which says a lot about how the designers are thinking about the tone of the new game

Corvo

Post by Corvo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Meanwhile, new image on Facebook

AdolphusAltdorfer

Post by AdolphusAltdorfer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Corvo wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:58 pm
Meanwhile, new image on Facebook
Maybe they are renaming the game?

"WFRP: the teasing"

Biting my nails now.

:D

/Adolphus
The Altdorf Correspondent

Download the most detailed map of the Old World city of Altdorf and hit the streets in search of grim and perilous adventure.

http://altdorfer.blogspot.se/2012/12/ia ... nload.html

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:45 pm

AdolphusAltdorfer wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm
Maybe they are renaming the game?

"WFRP: the teasing"

Biting my nails now.

:D

/Adolphus
That logo has been on the site since at least January 22:
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."