Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
Doctor Wu

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Doctor Wu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 am

Steelwind wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 am
Allow me to rephrase my question, do you lovely folks foresee it being possible to play a White Lion, a Bright Wizard, a Dwarven Slayer, and the other classic archetypes and unique staples of the Warhammer Fantasy Old World (even if you dont necessarily begin the game as them)? Were these available in 1E or 2E?

Specifically I have one friend who is a huge fan of White Lions, and if you can play a White Lion this will be an instabuy for him.
Not sure about 2nd edition, but in 1st edition WFRP, elf player characters were assumed to be wood elves living among humans in the empire, and so had similar careers to those of humans. I believe some later WFRP books introduced some (wood) elf-specific classes like Wardancers or Waywatchers or similar.

Dwarves could become (or even start as) Troll Slayers and advance to Giant Slayers.

1st edition WFRP was before Bright Wizards were named in the Warhammer lore, but one of the basic Academic classes was Wizard's Apprentice, from which a player could eventually become a level 4 Wizard, Demonologist, Illusionist, Elementalist or Necromancer. This was revamped and greatly expanded on in the magic supplement that came out in the early 2000s, but I am not very familiar with that book.

Xyd

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Xyd » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Steelwind wrote:
Allow me to rephrase my question, do you lovely folks foresee it being possible to play a White Lion, a Bright Wizard, a Dwarven Slayer, and the other classic archetypes and unique staples of the Warhammer Fantasy Old World (even if you dont necessarily begin the game as them)? Were these available in 1E or 2E?

As an aside, I believe there would be wisdom in tapping into the resurgence of interest that Total War: Warhammer has brought, it has been an overwhelming success and really rekindled the flames of Warhammer Fantasy and the Old World.
Wizard and the Slayer were all career paths in 2nd Edition, with the former being a career you pick, followed by the school of magic you wanted to adopt, ie; Bright Order.

Unofficial career supplements supported the High Elf with various different careers. Technically you could play a High Elf in 2nd Edition without any unofficial supplements; the Elf race is treated as a 'whole' and not separately like it is in 1st Edition. The Wood Elf sourcebook for 2nd edition (unofficial again) is a great book to make the wood elves come out as their own race again.

As for tapping into the interest that is Total War: Warhammer; the recent Warhammer games (not just Total War, Vermintide as well) may bring in a small number of people who are genuinely interested in the roleplay aspect. Whether or not that small number can justify the marketing costs in marketing this new edition is a whole different debate.

But I do believe anything is better than 'silence' which is what we are mostly getting now.

Steelwind

Post by Steelwind » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Thank you for the replies gentlemen, I guess I shall keep an eye out to see if this turns out to be the game for us.

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Doctor Wu wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 am
1st edition WFRP was before Bright Wizards were named in the Warhammer lore, but one of the basic Academic classes was Wizard's Apprentice, from which a player could eventually become a level 4 Wizard, Demonologist, Illusionist, Elementalist or Necromancer. This was revamped and greatly expanded on in the magic supplement that came out in the early 2000s, but I am not very familiar with that book.
The book was Realms of Sorcery, which was vapourware for an awfully long time, but essentially introduced the Colleges of Magic that were eventually were fully integrated into 2nd edition.

While some people may still like the 1st edition (as I do), it should be noted that the magic system (and some other elements of the game) were commonly criticised at the time. The magic system in particular was seen as too dry and unengaging. The Colleges and 2nd edition system at very least added colour.

CapnZapp

Post by CapnZapp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Steelwind wrote:

Specifically I have one friend who is a huge fan of White Lions, and if you can play a White Lion this will be an instabuy for him.

As an aside, I believe there would be wisdom in tapping into the resurgence of interest that Total War: Warhammer has brought, it has been an overwhelming success and really rekindled the flames of Warhammer Fantasy and the Old World.
The thing to realize is that, for the purposes of Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, "the Old World" doesn't mean what you think it means.

WFRP is a game on a whole different (and much lower) power scale than WFB and by extension Total War|hammer.

Imagine, if you will, the life of a single anonymous rank-n-file soldier - yep, the poor sods depicted in their scores in the battle game. THAT's the focus of WFRP - and not his miserable and short life on the battlefield either, but back home, when his wife were slaughtered and his children abducted by Beastmens. WFRP would chronicle his travels as he, together with equally muddy and shoddy heroes, seek a new life in Altdorf or some such metropolis, only to be sucked into a conspiracy involving the highest and lowest tiers of city life, culminating in him and his friends unwittingly exposing important noblemen as Skaven worshipers... :mrgreen:

The fact he had to enlist in the army and now faces his last day alive on the field of battle as a very unimportant cog in the Imperial war machine is entirely inconsequential.

What your friend is looking for is a game involving much higher-powered Big Hulking Heroes, and you won't find that in WFRP. Even a "level 4 Bright Wizard" can at most handle a dozen enemies - a far cry from the battlefield spells of the battle game!

I'd look to the 40K line of role-playing games (specifically Deathwatch) or perhaps the upcoming Age of Sigmar game! :)

Orin J.

Post by Orin J. » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:35 am

CapnZapp wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:20 pm
Steelwind wrote:

The thing to realize is that, for the purposes of Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, "the Old World" doesn't mean what you think it means.

WFRP is a game on a whole different (and much lower) power scale than WFB and by extension Total War|hammer.

Imagine, if you will, the life of a single anonymous rank-n-file soldier - yep, the poor sods depicted in their scores in the battle game. THAT's the focus of WFRP - and not his miserable and short life on the battlefield either, but back home, when his wife were slaughtered and his children abducted by Beastmens. WFRP would chronicle his travels as he, together with equally muddy and shoddy heroes, seek a new life in Altdorf or some such metropolis, only to be sucked into a conspiracy involving the highest and lowest tiers of city life, culminating in him and his friends unwittingly exposing important noblemen as Skaven worshipers... :mrgreen:

The fact he had to enlist in the army and now faces his last day alive on the field of battle as a very unimportant cog in the Imperial war machine is entirely inconsequential.

What your friend is looking for is a game involving much higher-powered Big Hulking Heroes, and you won't find that in WFRP. Even a "level 4 Bright Wizard" can at most handle a dozen enemies - a far cry from the battlefield spells of the battle game!

I'd look to the 40K line of role-playing games (specifically Deathwatch) or perhaps the upcoming Age of Sigmar game! :)
really, you're still missing the mark. the average WFRP group isn't even the rank and file soldiers- it's lowly malcontent drudges that clean up the towns until the soldiers arrive with an army on their heels and try, however feebly, to make a difference. on the plus side, sometimes you save the soldier's family and the town thanks you before making you leave (so nobody else gets bright ideas of adventuring being good) but most of the time it's shrieking in terror from goblins and watching the mage you met get crippled from miscasting a light spell.

then again, white lions wouldn't be hard to mimic, if you go through the hunter, kithband, and veteran jobs to get the skillsets right and aquire some best quality furs and a big elf-made axe. and be from chrace, obviously. you just need to live that long! easy-peasy! :lol:

Corvo

Post by Corvo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:24 am

Steelwind wrote:

(...)
Hi Steelwind,

the Warhammer myth is about playing a Rat-catcher, a Beggar and a Small But Vicious Dog.
That said, most people don't play these character much, unless they aren't playing a long campaign (and the career system is all about longish campaigns).
In my experience, after a while you have a group composed of a Bright Wizard, a Dwarven Slayer and... a Champion (in 1st ed. it was a Master Battle Wizard, a Dwarven Slayer and an Assassin).
And this is just because there were no careers specific for High Elves.
But a Lion of Chrace is basically an High Elven Champion, with just some cosmetic touch: nothing the master cannot houserule on the fly.

Syntezz

Post by Syntezz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:09 am

Here in Mother Russia we have snow already, but no news on WFRP. I really hope for some information soon. Can't wait for release.

Steelwind

Post by Steelwind » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:22 am

Thank you for all the replies folks, I really appreciate it.

So if I have this straight you start as a ratcatcher and other similar careers, but (rather quickly?) move out of those into more traditional adventuring professions, correct? So in a roundabout kind of way, you kind of start at level 0? Is there a way (traditionally) to bypass the level 0 phase and begin at "level 1"?

(I know levels as per D&D arent really a thing in this game, I'm just using it as an analogy)

Doctor Wu

Post by Doctor Wu » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 am

Your characters will progress to advanced careers like Mercenaries, Sea Captains, Lawyers and Navigators after a few sessions. Beware, though, that the tone of WFRP was closer to the investigative nature of Call of Cthulhu than the high fantasy dungeon delving of D&D. If you prefer the latter in a Warhammer setting, you should consider tracking down the Roleplay book for Warhammer Quest (1995), which was all about archetypical Warhammer heroes killing monsters, gaining XP and upgrading gear.

Another alternative is to start the adventurers off with a good amount of XP, allowing them to upgrade their stats and careers before starting the adventures. You could then have them face off against daemons and vampires rather than footpads and Chaos cultists from the beginning, making the game more heroic in nature.