Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
igest

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by igest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 am

I'm glad with the new covers, i think they are a good tribute to the 1st edition, but i'm waiting for "new" things also and i believe C7 is going to add his good work for improving the game. And one last one thing: Why there is'nt yet a Forum for WFRP??

Landuin le Breton

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Landuin le Breton » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Yup - a forum would be appreciated.

Personally I'm excited for Cubicle 7's take on Bretonnia. I like the Arthurian mish-mash, rather than 1e's French Revolution, but the 2E sourcebook was not a great sourcebook.

Karl Sanford

Post by Karl Sanford » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 pm

I prefer the exact opposite. The French Revolution-esque background was more in keeping with the the post-medieval feel of the Empire. The Arthur-ish reinvention felt way too much like we'll have everything including the kitchen sink.

CapnZapp

Post by CapnZapp » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:50 pm

If it wasn't for Games Workshop ending support for Warhammer Fantasy Battle, I would have said never - the old 1E Bretonnia is long gone. Now I'm less certain, but still not holding my breath.

farwyl

Post by farwyl » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:52 pm

I'd like to ask something slightly off-topic from the good people here on the forum.
The latest news (nobody seems to care for) is a new 1st edition scan going on sale soon. Could anyone please tell me what's the difference between this “colour plates” version and the Hogshead scan from the bundle?
I only have the Hogshead version in print so I have no clue. Is it the early GW hardback?

Landuin le Breton

Post by Landuin le Breton » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:14 am

I imagine there is quite a bit of division between 1E and 2E Bretonnia, but either way it was short-changed in 2E onwards. KotG is a book I am quite critical of, and is a disappointing sourcebook.

That said I think it's unlikely you'll see the return of King Charles de la Tête d'Or's Bretonnia in 4E.
CapnZapp wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:50 pm
If it wasn't for Games Workshop ending support for Warhammer Fantasy Battle, I would have said never - the old 1E Bretonnia is long gone. Now I'm less certain, but still not holding my breath.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:15 am

Yes the 1ed Bretonnia really helped to set the old world apart from other settings. Certainly my preference. Look forward to seeing how cubicle 7 handle that one, as they always seem to have a strong grip on the usp of their games.

Landuin le Breton

Post by Landuin le Breton » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:26 pm

I don't remember much about Bretonnia in 1E's rulebook, but it seemed like a poor man's pre-Revolutionary France. If you do like that though I recommend 7th Sea - Montaigne is a magical pre-revolutionary France and there's even a product called the Montaigne Revolution.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:06 pm

I don’t think it was extensively detailed in 1ed, but it’s setting flavour was apparent. Essentially combined with the Empire it really gave the flavour of a renassiance/late renassiance setting which really distinguished WFRP from the popular medieval settings at the time. WFRP felt like a fresh new approach in popular fantasy tropes because of this.

The 2ed feels much more medieval with its britain/Breton Arthurian knights of the round table, which in my view ( although interesting) waters down the late renassiance feel of the original WFRP

Warden

Post by Warden » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:27 pm

Whatever they do I really hope they make the game easy to play. I'm getting to the age now where I can't be dealing with complex rules. I don't mind crunchy, but complex is too, complicated nowadays.