Now live on Kickstarter: Unspeakable Sigil and Sign

All the Cubicle 7 news
Jon Hodgson

Now live on Kickstarter: Unspeakable Sigil and Sign

Post by Jon Hodgson » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:10 pm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/46 ... you-play-t
Now live on Kickstarter: Unspeakable: Sigil and Sign.

The innovative roleplaying game where you are the cultist.

From Great Cthulhu to the King in Yellow, from the Crawling Chaos to the Black Goat, they are the Old Ones... and they are no myth. They were here on Earth long before the rise of civilized Man, and some — maybe even all, depending who you ask — never left at all. Something keeps the Old Ones’ interest tethered to our planet, and for those people who simply want left to live their ordinary lives in peace, the baleful aims of such entities can only portend doom.

But you are not one of those people.

Unspeakable: Sigil & Sign is a roleplaying game that challenges some of the more traditional conventions of the hobby. In this RPG you assume the role of the cultist, servant, cast-off, or misbegotten child of the Old Ones. In this game you are of the Mythos.

In Sigil & Sign, you are not the all-too-ordinary human. You are the Outsider.

As an Outsider, you are caught between two worlds: the mundane world of humankind and the dark and alien world of the Mythos. You might have been truly human once, but no longer. Or perhaps you’ve never known what it means to be human: many Outsiders are now some generations removed from their origins as homo sapiens.

Unspeakable Sigil & Sign challenges Narrator and player alike to inhabit the protagonists of that secret world; people whose personas, conflicts, themes, views, and philosophies might well stand in stark contrast to those held by the players depicting them. You’ll face stark choices and challenges as you attempt to navigate your way through the twin minefields of mundane human existence and cult life.

As a character brought up in an Old One cult in the early 20th Century, you might be a true loyalist, a member of what your people call the Oathbound. You might serve in an active capacity, and be called upon to perform strange tasks or investigate even stranger places, all in the pursuit of the greater glory of your otherworldly patron.

Your character might instead be one of the Outcaste, a group of Outsiders who forsake the suffocating structure of their central cult to follow their own path in service of their deity.

Whatever your personal, spiritual, or philosophical bent, you are an Outsider, and with that inescapable reality comes the dark Primogeniture of the Mythos. With it comes being marked of the Great Sigils: Change, Chaos, Darkness, Death, Madness, Ruin, or Silence.

To be Outsider is to be burdened with difference and increasingly horrid Aberration. But it also signifies that you are truly gifted of the Old Ones and of their eldritch power, capable of wielding some portion of that power, able to call upon unearthly Bequests and perform rituals so dark that none dares conduct them in the light.

Rivalries run deep, and the cults work at cross purposes with one another, so mystery, intrigue, and explosive violence wait around every corner.

Learn more at the campaign page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/46 ... you-play-t
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

Beran

Re: Now live on Kickstarter: Unspeakable Sigil and Sign

Post by Beran » Tue May 16, 2017 8:36 pm

To be honest, I don't see the attraction to this. However, I'm glad it was successful. Good luck with the new line.

Boneguard

Post by Boneguard » Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Kind of in the same boat.

I love the idea of a supplement/Game focusing on the cultists (high and low), those that should be the main (or the bulk of the) villain encountered by the investigators - rather than any Mythos Beast.

But the truth is, the fact it's using a different system which doesn't seem to be all that compatible with Chaosium CoC system made me skip it (same issue came up with Trail of Cthulhu, however a variation of CoC rules like Delta Green or The Laundry is fine).

Still that's my 2¢, and I'm glad to see that the KS is suscessful.
Last edited by Boneguard on Sun May 21, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beran

Post by Beran » Sun May 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Boneguard wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 pm
Kind of in the same boat.

I love the idea of a supplement/Game focusing on the cultists (high and low), those that should be the main (or the bulk of the) villain encountered by the investigators - rather than any Mythos Beast.

But the truth is, the fct it's using a different system which doesn't seem to be all that compatible with Chaosium CoC system made me skip it (same issue came up with Trail of Cthulhu, however a variation of CoC rules like Delta Green or The Laundry is fine).

Still that's my 2¢, and I'm glad to see that the KS is suscessful.
To me a CoC Cultist is something your are supposed to put down with extreme prejudice, not something you want to play. Besides, if the Cultists get what they want it is kind of "end of the world" type stuff. So much for a second campaign. But, each to his own, I guess.

I picked up Trail of Cthulhu strictly for the look of the book. The art work is stunning in both ToC and Bookhounds of London. Mechanically, I understand where Laws is coming from. However, I don't think the system was as broken as he thought.

wickeddarkman

Post by wickeddarkman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:16 pm

If you cannot see the players in the roles as cultists, you will miss out on a lot.

I've been running a hybrid where players sooner or later have to infiltrate a cult and gets licence to do evil stuff so they fit in with the other cultists. Players can enjoy the internal intrigues of a doomsday cult, and rise in the ranks of a very evil hierarchy, and gets to liquidate certain targets and stop the Whole cult in it's track when they betray an old one or outer god who thought they were cultists too.

Making the step over to fulltime cultists is a simple matter of increasing the competition.

You might start out as reckless criminals and be invited to a World filled with sorcery and artisfacts, or you may find them on your own. You will meet the magic Communities that want's to keep magic alive for their own sake, some of which will hate your guts because you want to destroy the World.

Later you will have runins with the police, adventurers and individuals fighting the mythos or even some of the Worlds most powerfull magical organisations like the laundry or the Black chamber, all of them trying to stop your worship by magic, firepower, infiltrations and false flags, because lets not forget the other cultists who will be wanting their diety to be the dominant force on earth at the end.

Some cultists will be willing to ally with you and your god, but others will wreck hell on you if you try the ultimate powergrab. The infighting between worshippers of hastur and cthulhu is particularly nasty.

Finally we have all the really powerfull alien races out there, which have no interrest in the mythos possessing the galaxy you live in. The migo's have engineered a beautifull ruse, altering the gravity of the moon so that the tidal system is thrown of which is the major reason why cthulhu haven awoken yet, and their meddling has angered the Brothers of the yellow sign, serving hastur they slay the migo all over the earth when they find them, and the migo have found Allies within the ranks of shub-niggurath and cthulhu's favorites the Deep ones.

If you can't see the players having fun in such a setup, you will really be at a loss :D