Question about the World War Cthulhu line

All the Cubicle 7 news
Boneguard

Question about the World War Cthulhu line

Post by Boneguard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:29 pm

I really enjoy the World War Cthulhu line. The World War 2 and Cold War series are great fun and I was wondering if there were plans to cover other wars: In particular World War 1 and the Korean War?

World War 1 would complement well the WW2 line and it was a very important period in and by itself with great change and upheaval that should be looked into from a Mythos point of view.

And the Korean War that truly isn't covered enough IMO (maybe the fact the the 1953 "Ceasefire" has not yet resulted in a Peace Treaty in 2017 might be why) and with the back and forth and some of the stories the Asian look of the mythos could be quite interesting.

Obviously we were so many conflicts in the 20th century: the Indochina and the Vietnam Wars, The Balkans, Koweit, etc. that covering all of them might not be possible. But I'm still curious to know what's in the future of this line (if anything).

Hermes Serpent

Re: Question about the World War Cthulhu line

Post by Hermes Serpent » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:11 pm

IIRC The Great War (WW1) was mentioned as a possibility during the Kickstarter for WWC:CW or during the roll out of Darkest Hour so C7 have certainly considered it. Might be a case of seeing how sales go before commissioning anything although there current workload (%e versions of TOR and a new edition of WHFRPG) might indicate a certain amount of capacity not being available. The dropping of the translated lines might free up a certain amount of freelance authorship to cover this but possibly not.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

CryAxe

Post by CryAxe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Their WWC line, when announced with Cold War, is to include WWI (name yet to be announced), WWII (Darkest Hour), Cold War and WWIII (name yet to be announced).

WWI is supposed to come next, followed by WWIII. Look up Cubicle 7 on Youtube and you can watch the teaser they have there.

Boneguard

Post by Boneguard » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:00 pm

It's definitely good to see that they plan to do a WWI book (I'm good with waiting). WWIII is quite intriguing too.

A bit sadden that Korean and the Vietnam Wars (Both the French and the American one) might not be covers...although it kind of falls within the early Cold War Era too, so I could see it as a potential sourcebook for Cold War as appose as it's own line.

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:31 pm

The late Fifties/early Sixties would be a great time for a Cold War book I regret that C7 decided to go for the Seventies rather than the earlier period of the Race for Space and the Suez and Cuban Missile Crises.

What should make a great period piece is the espionage in Europe of the Mid to late Thirties, epitomised by Alan Furst's books and those of Philip Kerr and Volger Kutscher dealing with the very interesting period in Berlin in the early Thirties
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Boneguard

Post by Boneguard » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:52 am

Hermes Serpent wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:31 pm
The late Fifties/early Sixties would be a great time for a Cold War book I regret that C7 decided to go for the Seventies rather than the earlier period of the Race for Space and the Suez and Cuban Missile Crises.
I a way, I agree with you.

The 70s (and early 80s) were an interesting era of the Cold war but the Late 50s/Early 60s were really the Core of it.

It could be worth loking into making that Era into it's own supplement as you could add to your list both the Korea War, Vietnam War, The Bay of Pigs and the 1961 Berlin Crisis...and just Berlin and both Germanies in general in that Era.

Although not technically part of the Cold War, the Indohina Wars could also be added (or made into their own supplement with the First Indochina War (French: 1945-1954), the Second Indochina War (AKA American Vietnam War) 1955-1975 and the Third Indochina War 1978-1992 being covered) as they have a lot of element in common, especially the 2nd and 3rd one, with the USA-Russia conflict.

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:13 pm

We'd all like more stuff but the cost/return ratio on making such books probably makes them a wishful fantasy. RPG gamers are tightwads at the best of times and getting them to play for niche books would be extra hard and while everyone generally loves luxurious evocative art the cost to produce such puts a niche work in a niche hobby out of the ball park when it comes to pricing such a beast to sell in the numbers needed to make a financial success of the line.

Boneguard

Post by Boneguard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:40 am

Hermes Serpent wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:13 pm
We'd all like more stuff but the cost/return ratio on making such books probably makes them a wishful fantasy.
I know, but I love to dream. Besides, the way I say it, I express something I would like to see, and after that, it's up in the air.