Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e

All the Cubicle 7 news
Marcus

Re: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e

Post by Marcus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:52 am

I'm officially excited! Not much more to say. Looking forward to this!
'If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?'

Kitchen Kill Count: some

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:33 pm

I hope they keep the system close to the 1st and 2nd Edition, i don't want to see a Grim and Perilous D&D edition.

Valvorik

Post by Valvorik » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:09 pm

This is good news. Hopefully no Age of Sigmar stuff. They will likely be bound by GW (meaning its perpetually the edge of the Storm of Chaos or somesuch) but that's a fun time period to play in.

Personally I liked the 3rd edition's "rules on table in front of you", "multivariable resolution that can mix good and bad" and other reflections of modern game theory. It was kind of funny to watch all the initial hysterical "it's going to be a board game" stuff when FFG got the licence and then see games from D&D to indie Mouseguard start using cards too.

Cubicle 7 has a good track record of systems that really reflect the setting's spirit from the labour of love of One Ring to Dr. Who's priority of actions (talking always comes before shooting), so I have hopes whatever they do.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 am

I'm looking forward to seeing what Cubicle7 does with this and I'm sure the discussions will be interesting. While I am WAY too deep into WFRP3e to change (unless the system is really impressive) I hope to see more great fluff and adventures I can use to inspire my games.

Oh yeah, and prepare to be invaded by one of the grognardiest rpg-communities on the net :P

Uncle Mojo

Post by Uncle Mojo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Wow, if this is true, it is extremely good news to me! Cubicle 7 would be a perfect fit for bringing WFRP back - back to its roots without just rehashing all that's been done before and back to its roots world-wise. I have high hopes for this. Just please, for all that's holy, NO Age of Sigmar stuff!

CapnZapp

Post by CapnZapp » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Ralzar wrote: Oh yeah, and prepare to be invaded by one of the grognardiest rpg-communities on the net :P
Heh ☺

Tokentaker

Post by Tokentaker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Your lack of comment does not form a denial, Cubicle 7! :D

Man I hope this works out and we hear something soon.

AoS vs the Old World, I'll take either or both.

I'm guessing AoS, though. One of the major reasons for AoS was to reset the fluff clock. It had been two minutes to midnight for too long. Midnight eventually came....

Early on the fluff for AoS was pretty, bland? Blood and skulls, skulls and blood. Chaos vs Stormcast in the wastelands. Slowly though, the fluff is starting to get more interesting. The latest book, City of Secrets, was awesome. Cities are poping up. Witchhunters and non-imperial, imperial troops. Dwarves are back. Dark Elf pirates.

It seems my prediction is coming true. The early fluff was an age of myth with the storyline progressing forward until we get a new, Old World. New, different, but with the same type of feel and without that final end looming overhead. Lot's of room to explore with the 8 realms. Basically 8 whole worlds now, each with their own countries, etc. Makes me think of what Marvel did with Secret Wars recently.

Everything is still there and more, it's just different. Some models that were named characters are now troop types. Others like Manfred are still around. The Stormcast in the latest book are separated and feared by the mortals. They protect the mortals from Chaos, yes, but they're willing to burn the mortals away at the first sign of corruption as well.

To each his own, but things are getting really interesting in AoS.....

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Did someone mention Grognard? :) *Comes in out of the rain. hangs up coat*

This is welcome news indeed. WFRP is such a British take on RPGs, one of my favourites. 1ed was fresh,colourful and innovative at the time of its release. Great accesible background - a wonderful blend of differing fantasy influences. Out of the mixture came a game with real character.
I've browsed cubicle 7's website with interest, and from what I've gathered there is a real deep thematic understanding of the games they produce. Very impressed indeed.

I think cubicle 7 are going to be a great fit for WFRP, which at its heart has a very British sensibility. The balance being largely low (dark) fantasy, but with elements of high fantasy too, and the ludicrous never far from the action. For me the game only works under 1ed background, where average people are still largely ignorant of the threat of chaos, think Enemy Within. Subtleties of the WFRP background are lost in 2ed with full on chaos armies rampaging around the empire. 1ed leant itself very well to differing styles of play, Cthulhuesq investigation, as well as dungeon delving. A game with broad appeal & European accents.

Look forward to seeing the game approached in the same spirit of the original. Possibly familiar, but certainly fresh and innovative again.... Just promise me one thing - Please have a decent spread of characteristics values. I don't want to see silly 1ed/2ed characters being as strong as giant or dragon on paper :)

Beran

Post by Beran » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:06 am

I hope they take the game back to the original system from early editions. Instead of the board game that FFG made of it. And, no proprietary dice!

Corvo

Post by Corvo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Beran wrote:I hope they take the game back to the original system from early editions. Instead of the board game that FFG made of it. And, no proprietary dice!
I think they would go for a new system.
3rd edition is controversial (too many of the old fans disliked it), while 1st/2nd edition got a system that, apart for the career system*, wasn't stellar.

*And the Insanity points. I loved these :mrgreen: