Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e

All the Cubicle 7 news
CapnZapp

Re: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e

Post by CapnZapp » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:37 pm

As far as rules speculation...

Even as a huge WFRP 1e/2e fan, I would say Cubicle 7 has a great opportunity to create a new ruleset for WFRP. The 3e rules added way too much overhead and kind of fixed a problem that didn't need fixing. The 2e rules, while an improvement over 1e in some ways, still hew too closely to the d20 rules (especially in how you must choose between movement and making all your attacks). Also the college system was a throwback to the Fantasy Battles game. The biggest weakness of 1e is its magic system. And both 1e and 2e have the problem where characters enter a career just because "they have to" in order to keep improving.

I think the opportunity for a brand new rules system that really captures the heart and soul of WFRP is great. If Cubicle 7 can create a "the one ring" system for WFRP - that is, not the TOR system, but a system where it's evident a lot of care and thought has gone into the system to make it recreate the "right" type of stories, just like TOR did for LOTR.

As for the setting, there really isn't anything to say.

I can't believe C7 would be interested in the WFRP property if they had to use the new Age of Sigmar fluff. Put simply, that campaign world's utterly useless, and creating a WFRP game not based in the Old World doesn't make an iota of sense.

(If somebody want to create Age of Sigmar the rpg, fine, just don't call it WFRP or expect a single fan of WFRP to be interested.)

fritsk

Post by fritsk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:03 pm

CapnZapp wrote: As for the setting, there really isn't anything to say.

I can't believe C7 would be interested in the WFRP property if they had to use the new Age of Sigmar fluff. Put simply, that campaign world's utterly useless, and creating a WFRP game not based in the Old World doesn't make an iota of sense.
Yup, medieval setting with intrigue, corruption lurking in the shadows and monsters lurking in the wilderness is a lot more appealing from an rpg POV than a big chaos invasion every month.

Tokentaker

Post by Tokentaker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:19 am

The fluff is evolving away from the constant large scale war stories. It's getting more of the Old World feel with the the mortals starting to come to the fore.

That being said Warhammer Quest is evolving into a more RPG style game. That makes me wonder if the new RPG needs to cover the new setting, or would the two games just step on each other's toes?

C'mon, C7!!!! Gimme some NEWS!!!!!

Tokentaker

Post by Tokentaker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:24 am

The fluff is evolving away from the constant large scale war stories. It's getting more of the Old World feel with the the mortals starting to come to the fore.

That being said Warhammer Quest is evolving into a more RPG style game. That makes me wonder if the new RPG needs to cover the new setting, or would the two games just step on each other's toes?

C'mon, C7!!!! Gimme some NEWS!!!!!

Michaelkafads

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e

Post by Michaelkafads » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 pm

Anyone keen on playing a Warhammer Fantasy game on Wednesday night?
Very new to the game - only played two games officially so need someone who is patient with a newbie to play against me. I play Ogres

Fatpob

Post by Fatpob » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Age of the Sigmarine is pure toilet tbh, I would hope if this was the way forward C7 would avoid really.

It's basically a rehash of W40k for the fantasy realm. Dark Elves are now good guys - lol really. There is also a brand new race - but my oh my - don't call them dwarves (they are dwarves)

The old world was interesting, the original 1st ed adventures where some of the best ever written. It was never really re-captured, with everything since Death on the Reik having that memberberry feel, a copy, close but not as good.

I appreciate the new "realmgate" fluff offers a new start - and perhaps focus on a "realm" may be interesting, but with the Sigmar God, eternal resurrection trash that is prevalent in the works - I can't see it really ever getting interesting.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:58 pm

I think the success of D&D 5ed, points to the fact that you don't necessarily have to reinvent the wheel completly for each new edition to be a success. People like familiarity, with a little bit of innovation. WFRP 1ed managed this with its brand of dark fantasy. There were elements of Tolkien, Stormbringer, fantasy renaissance Europe , Cthulhu, and D&Disms, with a large dose of gothic punk, and black humour. It borrowed heavily, but it was a unique mix of fantasy elements.

I hope cubicle 7 recognise the strengths of WFRP 1ed background. I really have no interest in what GW have done with their new high fantasy age of Sigmar. I think with WFRP 1ed background they have a great starting opportunity with a ready made RPG audience, if the material is good it will grow.

Be very interesting to see how they design it. It could work under the 5ed OGL very well IMO , and may help to popularise the game. Equally a reworking 1ed & 2ed could work comfortably. Or perhaps something more along the lines of the One Ring?

Getting the right feel and tone of the game is going to be very important. The choice of artists. John Blanche was/is instrumental with the gothic renaissance feel of WFRP. But there should be shades of grey as well, and comic relief. The writing and art should reflect that.

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:22 pm

One of the things I liked most about WFRP was the career system. At the time it was (for me) a refreshing change from class & level based systems that seemed to be the norm for RPGs at the time.

I'm sure C7 already have things in mind with regards to their take on the game, but I hope they find a way to keep elements of this part of the game.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Yes I agree. The Careers are intrinsic to WFRP. I can't see a WFRP game without them. They brilliantly brought lots of colour to the old world with a different take on character progression. Great roleplaying tools.

It might be nice to see a little more depth to each career, whilst still keeping it fun. I'd like the option to continue in a chosen career, but likewise also having the fun option of changing careers.

I liked the fact that careers in WFRP 1ed were organised into a few broad recognisable Archetypes in the form of Career Class ( Academic, warrior, rogue, ranger etc). It seemed like a useful simplification to help those coming from the other game.

Cawdorthane

Post by Cawdorthane » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:00 am

I think that the magnificent work that Cubicle7 has done with TOR in bringing Tolkien's world to life in an RPG is a good indication of their deep understanding that the "feel" of an RPG world is its key. Accordingly, I have no doubt that they will be fully attuned to the "feel" of the Old World in WHFRP 1e & 2e in what they do going forward with 4e. But frankly whatever licensing restrictions Gamesworkshop imposes will dictate whether the core background is the Old World that we die-hard WHFRPers all love most, or the new "Age of Sigma" milieu, and which is the primary vehicle for 4e. So, I think we all have to be patient and hope for the best in that respect, drawing comfort from Cubicle7's proven track-record with TOR.

I certainly agree with those who have posted that the various character "professions" via the career tree system in 1e and 2e worked fabulously and was amongst their best features as an rpg. I would trust the good sense of Cubicle7 not to try to fix what is not broken there, particularly where that career system proved such a wonderful interface with the dark medieval Chaos threatened/riddled fantasy world presented in WHFRP.

To be frank, I am utterly excited by this news and I do not think that 4e could possibly be in better hands!

cheers
Mark