Lone Wolf Adventure Game shaping up

All the Cubicle 7 news
silverfoxdmt73

Re: Lone Wolf Adventure Game shaping up

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:27 pm

So do we have any further update regarding the progress of this game?

Will there be an expansion on the background (i.e. a more detailed Gazzeteer, use of the Sommerlund source material etc)?

When will it be set? Before the war with the Darklands, during or after - or will there be material there to be able to do it all?

Will the system include additional classes found in the Signs & Portents magazines? (I only ask as I created 2 that were published there and it would be cool to see them in print again.)

SaFe

Post by SaFe » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:51 am

Interesting interview here:
http://www.projectaon.org/en/blog/2014/ ... interview/

Sadly the new game seems just to be a reboot of the Mongoose game with new supplements.
If this is the case, I fear this is not the game I want personally.
Naturally I wait for more infos, but I'm a little dissapointed from the sparse information I gathered.

Nonetheless I wish C7 much success with the Lone Wolf Adventure game.

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:11 pm

If that does prove to be the case, rather than a new game, I may continue with adapting Lonewolf to Vortex- its actually a pretty good fit.

However, I find the prospect of more work from Mr Dever to be incredibly exciting, even if you use it as source material alone. Who knows, perhaps it will be sufficiently tweaked to make the game interesting. I will definitely be purchasing it as a lifelong fan of Lone Wolf. I cant wait :)
Justin Wyatt

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:28 pm

I'll check out the interview.

I'd be disappointed if it is just a reboot of the d20 rpg. I thing C7 could do good things with the existing material and put together a decent system too if they put their minds to it.

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:00 am

From the interview, it will be a continuation of the Multiplayer Gamebook (not the d20 version), reprinting existing books but with stuff cut out of the previous edition. The starter box set will include a reprint of the Multiplayer Game book (rules for playing Kai Lords), plus Heroes of Magnamund, plus a sourcebook, which I imagine must be the Sommerlund book.There also appears to be tweaks to the system based on player feedback. I personally hope this means we get different weapon damage and more abilities to personalise your character.
Justin Wyatt

SaFe

Post by SaFe » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:06 am

Which makes it just worse.
The Multiplayer Gamebook is a good starting point for new role players , but nothing I want to play on a regular basis, considering the depth Magnamund has to offer.
Disappointing decision by Mr.Dever and Cubicle7.

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:51 pm

SaFe wrote:Which makes it just worse.
The Multiplayer Gamebook is a good starting point for new role players , but nothing I want to play on a regular basis, considering the depth Magnamund has to offer.
Disappointing decision by Mr.Dever and Cubicle7.
I disagree, for me it's exactly what I wanted - an updated system based on the Multiplayer Gamebook. If Joe and C7 have listened to feedback, which he stated they have, then we should be getting a little more crunch to support RPG style play. So off the top of my head those are things like:

* Weapon ratings/damage
* More detailed combat system - eg, multiple foes on each side
* Combat ranges
* Movement
* Armour vs. Endurance vs. CS
* More granularity in Disciplines - eg, like the old d20 game that graded Disciplines based on the order they were chosen
* Potential for a Trait mechanic - a la The One Ring

All these have been mentioned/communicated by players in the past.

... I'm sure there are more but those are the elements that I've house-ruled into my Lone Wolf game and similar things would be great to see in the official rules.

I'm looking forward to seeing what gets released - I just wish it was coming out soon; the lack of announcements is frustrating!
Last edited by Rich H on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOR resources thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62
TOR miniatures thread: viewtopic.php?t=885

Fellowship of the Free Tale of Years: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318

Dom
Site Admin

Post by Dom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi everyone

Thanks for your interest in the Lone Wolf Adventure Game - I'm a huge Lone Wolf fan too, so it's a really exciting game to be working on.

Every game goes through lots of changes and iterations through the design process, and it's hard to give much in the way of concrete insights into how things are shaping up without the potential of giving people information that subsequently changes. It's something that we've learned the hard way - that it is usually better to give less information to begin with. The down side is that's a bit frustrating for everyone who loves the game we're working on and wants to know more!

A goal of the design for the game is for accessibility to be a key feature - inexperienced roleplayers need to be able to get up to speed quickly. However, another goal is that there should be enough features and moving parts to give a satisfying game experience that reflects the setting and keeps the interest of experienced gamers, and that's certainly something I want to make sure we achieve. So, while the game is still developing and I don't want to say too much right now, it won't be a reprint of the Multiplayer Gamebook. The material queued up for the Multiplayer Gamebook line will be released, formatted for the new Adventure Game, so you'll still be getting the books that were announced (along with new titles yet to be announced).

There will be more information soon, I promise! Going on the feedback here and other places, I think we're on the right track.

Dom
Dominic McDowall
CEO - Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:54 pm

We cross-posted Dom, but great reply! I'm looking forward to what you guys come up with. I love Lone Wolf, it was core to my early development as an RPer, so having it published by you guys fills me with optimism! :D

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Dom wrote:The material queued up for the Multiplayer Gamebook line will be released, formatted for the new Adventure Game, so you'll still be getting the books that were announced (along with new titles yet to be announced)
Just a quick question Dom, are there any plans to releasing the older material in the new line? I appreciate that it will be backwards compatible but I'd like to see C7's production values, etc applied to the older products that Mongoose released.

Also, will the format of the new line be the same size/dimensions as the old Mongoose stuff?