Lone Wolf Adventure Game shaping up

All the Cubicle 7 news
Dom
Site Admin

Lone Wolf Adventure Game shaping up

Post by Dom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:52 pm

One of the things you won't have heard an awful lot about so far this year has been Lone Wolf.

Behind the scenes we've been plotting and planning, talking to printers and generally doing all that stuff you do at the start of a project. There's still much to do, but we're too excited not to share some of the emerging details with you! Here we go:
  • - The name of the game is confirmed as The Lone Wolf Adventure Game
    - The core game will be a boxed set
    - The Adventure Game will be a development of the previous Multiplayer Game
    - The game will be released in the first half of 2014
We'll be releasing more details as they are confirmed, so check back here and subscribe to our newsletter to make sure you stay up-to-date!
Dominic McDowall
CEO - Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd

silverfoxdmt73

Re: Lone Wolf Adventure Game shaping up

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:13 pm

If you need any playtesters I'm happy to help. I've been a fan of Lone Wolf since they introduced me to RPGs iin the mid 1980s.

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Second the playtest offer... More than happy to offer help and support for this if you need any!
TOR resources thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62
TOR miniatures thread: viewtopic.php?t=885

Fellowship of the Free Tale of Years: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:27 am

As a big fan of LWMPG, please clarify the combat rules. The Mongoose version is unclear regarding the fact that each dice roll is effectively two attacks (one from each combatant) and was never clarified.
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after." - Thorin Oakenshield

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:15 pm

skywalker wrote:As a big fan of LWMPG, please clarify the combat rules. The Mongoose version is unclear regarding the fact that each dice roll is effectively two attacks (one from each combatant) and was never clarified.
Agreed! There's another thread in the discussion forum, Skywalker: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=572 that you may want to contribute to. Would be nice to get discussion going here on some Lone Wolf as it's been so quiet!
TOR resources thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62
TOR miniatures thread: viewtopic.php?t=885

Fellowship of the Free Tale of Years: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:50 am

TBH I wouldn't want anything major changed to the base system as presented in MPG, though building stuff on top of it may be good. Advanced Fighting Fantasy (the recent version by Arion is probably the best example of such).

The issue with combat as presented in MPG is that it ignored the fact that each attack would include a necessary counterattack. Its easy to fix (Advanced Fighting Fantasy had to do it too IIRC). Effectively, once attacked, a combatant is "engaged" and may not attack again this round.
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after." - Thorin Oakenshield

SaFe

Post by SaFe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:51 pm

skywalker wrote:TBH I wouldn't want anything major changed to the base system as presented in MPG, though building stuff on top of it may be good.
If the Lone Wolf Adventure book is a simple reprint of Moongoose rule system this is sadly a definately no buy for me.
Why should i buy a book with rules i already have, even if i like Cubicle7.
Also this would be dissapointing as in a reprint with minor additional changes there would be no creativity.

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:09 am

There is plenty of room to improve and advance Mongoose's MPG without major changes to the system; which is after all based on the solo gamebooks. I don't think creativity necessitates significant change.

SaFe

Post by SaFe » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:59 pm

skywalker wrote:There is plenty of room to improve and advance Mongoose's MPG without major changes to the system; which is after all based on the solo gamebooks. I don't think creativity necessitates significant change.
I'm happy for you if this works for you, although in my opinion the Multiplayer book is probably the worst RPG i've ever read and played besides Rolemaster.
I loved Lone Wolf for the world, the writing style of Mr.Dever, the background, but definately not the rules of the Solo books.

skywalker

Post by skywalker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:48 am

Understood :)

IME the use of Disciplines (Sixth Sense is da boss) have become pretty core to Lone Wolf :) Compared to the other solo gamebooks, I found Disciplines to be excellent in providing a way of defining a character in the limited format of solo gamebooks, without reverting to adding complication that tends to come with magic or skill systems. This bore out when I ran the LWMPG for my two young daughters, who found the numberless approach much easier and fun than other options.