Pathfinder vs Warhammer Fantasy

All the Cubicle 7 news
Orin J.

Re: Pathfinder vs Warhammer Fantasy

Post by Orin J. » Sun May 13, 2018 12:04 am

Red Haired Thor wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:48 pm
The career system is really neat but I don't think it's fair to imply that Warhammer has anywhere near the customization as PF. There are so many ways to build your classes with archetypes, different multi-classing systems, templates that it is it's own metagame. I personally think it's a bit much at times, but you can basically build whatever character you want in PF so long as your GM doesn't restrict you. You are right though that it's much easier to "Swap" careers in Warhammer, whereas in any D20 you are more or less making a permanent investment each level.
Different forms of customization. Pathfinder's stuff is focused around developing the character mechanically, WFRP is centered around developing the character as a story. It's about tying the character's job progression to their personal developments rather than the other way 'round, which is maybe overlooked by some people pitching the game.

Red Haired Thor

Post by Red Haired Thor » Sun May 13, 2018 12:48 am

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the character careers in my short time with Warhammer. I've been considering picking up 4e when it comes out to see what it's like. It's definitely different and I think the way you put it is spot on for the distinction between Warhammer and D20 class systems, and is a cool way to handle it.

Jade

Post by Jade » Sun May 13, 2018 1:49 am

Red Haired Thor wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:48 pm
PF has this, they call them Hero Points, as an optional system. Though I will say that Hero Points don't recharge as quickly as Fate Points do. You start with one and earn them by being heroic, but they function much the same way of allowing rerolls and what not.
You may be confusing Fate and Fortune. PC's get a number of Fortune Points each day equal to their Fate points. Fortune points recharge each day. Fate Points never recharge, and can be gained only very rarely—perhaps by completing some epic quest.