Pathfinder vs Warhammer Fantasy

All the Cubicle 7 news
MarkScott

Pathfinder vs Warhammer Fantasy

Post by MarkScott » Fri May 04, 2018 4:23 pm

I have been playing Pathfinder for 10 years. I am very [typo removed] interested in converting to Warhammer. Help me convince my players (8) to make the switch with me. I need a few convincing speaking points on why we should switch. (please :D )
Last edited by MarkScott on Sat May 05, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jade

Re: Pathfinder vs Warhammer Fantasy

Post by Jade » Fri May 04, 2018 5:20 pm

It'd be easy to give you reasons to tell them convince to 2nd edition, but until more details are released, it's hard to say why you should switch to WFRP 4th.

But 2nd edition has simpler rules, more choices in combat (IMO), insanity(!), no spell memorization, the ability to change your character focus over time, etc. I expect all of this remains true for 4th. I've played a lot of both D&D and WFRP and vastly prefer the latter.

And the setting is fantastic, at least. Gritty, dangerous—magic is special and comes with risk. A million opportunities for surprise, subterfuge, and, of course, combat. But things are rarely as they seem...

Xyd

Post by Xyd » Fri May 04, 2018 6:05 pm

So...

You have been playing Pathfinder for 10 years. You are NOT interested in converting/switching to Warhammer... But you want help to convince 8 of your players to switch with you?

I think you need to convince yourself first ;)

King Eirik

Post by King Eirik » Fri May 04, 2018 8:10 pm

I don’t understand your enquiry... It’s Warhammer!!! ;)
That should be enough, by Sigmar! Is this some kind of trick from the Ruinous Powers...? :D
Being earnest: I don’t know what the 4th Edition holds in store for us. But I‘m sure it will improve the 1st and 2nd Editions (3rd Edition currently eaten by Greenskins so I will not mention it) and that will be great.
I’ve played D&D for some time but it’s only D&D (playing now 5th Edition and this sucks!) and Pathfinder is D20 - and for me D&D, sorry. The only D20 game that has sucked me in is 13th Age :)
And as Jade has said the setting is fantastic and I‘m very happy that it will be the year 2502 :)
The King is dead! Long live the King!

Orin J.

Post by Orin J. » Sat May 05, 2018 3:08 am

MarkScott wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:23 pm
I have been playing Pathfinder for 10 years. I am not very interested in converting to Warhammer. Help me convince my players (8) to make the switch with me. I need a few convincing speaking points on why we should switch. (please :D )
well the first one is that you aren't interested and if you talk to everyone like you frame this request, switching over to spite you should provide some good weight to the argument for it.

a second argument is that the warhammer setting, rich and full of history as it is provides a great chance to break from the usual settings and try something different in execution, which might inspire great new ideas.

Geomtje

Post by Geomtje » Sat May 05, 2018 8:34 am

Xyd wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:05 pm
So...

You have been playing Pathfinder for 10 years. You are NOT interested in converting/switching to Warhammer... But you want help to convince 8 of your players to switch with you?

I think you need to convince yourself first ;)
+1 :lol:
J.J.R. Tolkien wrote:...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

CapnZapp

Post by CapnZapp » Sat May 05, 2018 10:32 am

MarkScott wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:23 pm
I have been playing Pathfinder for 10 years. I am not very interested in converting to Warhammer. Help me convince my players (8) to make the switch with me. I need a few convincing speaking points on why we should switch. (please :D )
I think you mean you are interested but you're not sure your players are...?

Machpants

Post by Machpants » Sat May 05, 2018 11:10 am

Either way, we know less specifics of the rules than we do of pathfinder 2, so it's hard to give concrete reasons

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Sat May 05, 2018 11:47 am

Well, it's difficult to talk specific mechanics for the obvious reasons mentioned above, but my pitch would be that with both games releasing new editions this year, it's as good a time as any to break with the old and try out something new.

The very fact that you are exploring a new game after 10 years with Pathfinder suggests that you're thinking about trying something different, and you can at the very least guarantee that the production standards will be every bit as good as Paizo, along with a fanbase that is every bit as enthusiastic and active.

All fantasy role-players should experience Warhammer at least once, to appreciate the subtle and not so subtle aspects that stand it apart from typical, generic fantasy rpgs.

EvilSpaceOrc

Post by EvilSpaceOrc » Sat May 05, 2018 2:05 pm

DnD/Pathfinder are like Coca Cola, everyone knows the brand, its everywhere but by no means it's the best/healthiest/most refreshing/tasty drink there is. And Warhammer, except the 3rd edition, is one of the best games you can play.

I'm surprised that anyone would play DnD for so long and not be interested at least checking out what else is out there.