Converting Cthulhu Brittanica material to Doctor Who?

All the Cubicle 7 news
Trippy

Converting Cthulhu Brittanica material to Doctor Who?

Post by Trippy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Hey, Cubicle 7!

When you dropped the Call of Cthulhu license last year, you mentioned that you were considering alternative systems for the various lines associated with it.

Have you considered taking some of that material, converting it and making it available under the same system as Doctor Who. There may be licensing and canon reasons why you couldn't use it directly and some of the material is obviously a bit more adult in content. However, if you release it under the same 'Vortex' system, a lot of it is really useful as inspiration - the London box, for example.

Just a suggestion. Any thoughts?

Hermes Serpent

Re: Converting Cthulhu Brittanica material to Doctor Who?

Post by Hermes Serpent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:59 am

New material and any republished material must be easily backwards compatible with 7e in order to maximise their market for the C7 product. Making it Vortex would not do that so I think it's a non-stater.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:28 am

They could potentially do that as well, if they wanted to, but they indicated that they would be exploring the possibilities of other systems in their announcement.

The material could be used with more than one system - like The One Ring and Adventures in Middle Earth does.

It opens up markets to have the material developed into other systems, while the folk who have bought the Cthulhu 7E titles before are unlikely to buy them twice in a hurry.

Kinjin

Post by Kinjin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:31 pm

You're right, they may be unlikely to buy the same books twice but they are more likely to buy any ones they haven't picked up. For example, I ordered all the Cold War books but if the new WWII, Britannica or Laundry books were compatible, I'd probably buy them.

If they were based on a different system, it's highly unlikely I'd consider buying them. They wouldn't be compatible with other CoC books I have but more importantly, if I wanted to use some of the Cold War stuff, I'd probably have to buy it 'again'.

So I'd guess it would boil down to how many players they think who own Dr Who/The One Ring (or whichever system they used) would also buy whatever alternative to CoC they used, compared to how many CoC players they think would complete their collections and buy future books.