Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
CapnZapp

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by CapnZapp » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:00 am

King Eirik wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:41 am
I really hope that they are using some rules from Zweihänder, especially the career system. Makes much more sense. There are only three careers, basic, intermediate and advanced tier and you choose the next two careers above basic by what is story wise and not what the exits want you to do. Always disliked it and the possibility of exploiting the system to move for a short time into the careers to grip the sweetest fruits and then - bang - leave it be.
Myself I consider the "web" of possible paths the career exits of WFRP1/2 creates to be a wonderful eccentric feature of WFRP's carer system :)

Too much realism, too little arbitrary restrictions, and suddenly you might have lost the charm.

I believe WFRP4 is better served by adding a way to stay in your existing career as you gain experience.

Warden

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Warden » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:02 am

I hope they keep the Old Faith and add to it

CapnZapp

Post by CapnZapp » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:06 am

Steelwind wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:07 am
Although I am decently familiar with the Old World, I have never played Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but I am definitely intrigued to check it out. I do have a question though, I love the Old World as a setting, its evocative and just hits the nail on the head (more than floating dimensional space rocks, imo), but I know my group, and ratcatchers in a gutter has never been a playstyle my group has enjoyed (likewise we had a fizzled out go at Call of Cthulhu as well). Will it be possible to play more in the vein of a Karl Franz, Balthasar, Teclis, Tyrion style of characters and game? Or will there possibly be tone dials built into 4E to scale it up or down?
You might not know this, but this is exactly what WFRP fans dislike about the Fantasy Game. ;)

Luckily for you, C7 will also create Age of Sigmar, a game thought to offer exactly what you want - a WFRP:ish experience but at a substantially higher power curve.

I am myself one of those that fervently hope WFRP4 will not support the power level of a Karl Franz or a Teclis (or even that they appear at all), but that does not prevent me of recommending you to check out Age of Sigmar - here's to hoping it will give you what you want! :)

Steelwind

Post by Steelwind » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:18 am

CapnZapp wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:06 am
Steelwind wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:07 am
Although I am decently familiar with the Old World, I have never played Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but I am definitely intrigued to check it out. I do have a question though, I love the Old World as a setting, its evocative and just hits the nail on the head (more than floating dimensional space rocks, imo), but I know my group, and ratcatchers in a gutter has never been a playstyle my group has enjoyed (likewise we had a fizzled out go at Call of Cthulhu as well). Will it be possible to play more in the vein of a Karl Franz, Balthasar, Teclis, Tyrion style of characters and game? Or will there possibly be tone dials built into 4E to scale it up or down?
You might not know this, but this is exactly what WFRP fans dislike about the Fantasy Game. ;)

Luckily for you, C7 will also create Age of Sigmar, a game thought to offer exactly what you want - a WFRP:ish experience but at a substantially higher power curve.

I am myself one of those that fervently hope WFRP4 will not support the power level of a Karl Franz or a Teclis (or even that they appear at all), but that does not prevent me of recommending you to check out Age of Sigmar - here's to hoping it will give you what you want! :)
Age of Sigmar isn't my cup of tea (hence my joke about floating space rocks), I find the premise and lore of it a bit silly. I love the Old World, and I dont truly mean power at Teclic level (he is pretty crazy powerful, I was just using him as an example), but rather a party consisting of a White Lion, a Bright Wizard, a Slayer, etc.

I just hope to see a multitude of playstyles supported. ;)

Orin J.

Post by Orin J. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:16 am

Warden wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:02 am
Since the old faith was dropped by 2nd edition, wouldn't it be more accurate to say "I hope they bring back the Old Faith and add to it"?

Splinterbox

Post by Splinterbox » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:27 am

Orin J. wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:16 am
Warden wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:02 am
Since the old faith was dropped by 2nd edition, wouldn't it be more accurate to say "I hope they bring back the Old Faith and add to it"?
Nope.

" ....takes its direction from the first and second editions of the game."

King Eirik

Post by King Eirik » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:29 am

CapnZapp wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:00 am
King Eirik wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:41 am
I really hope that they are using some rules from Zweihänder, especially the career system. Makes much more sense. There are only three careers, basic, intermediate and advanced tier and you choose the next two careers above basic by what is story wise and not what the exits want you to do. Always disliked it and the possibility of exploiting the system to move for a short time into the careers to grip the sweetest fruits and then - bang - leave it be.
Myself I consider the "web" of possible paths the career exits of WFRP1/2 creates to be a wonderful eccentric feature of WFRP's carer system :)

Too much realism, too little arbitrary restrictions, and suddenly you might have lost the charm.

I believe WFRP4 is better served by adding a way to stay in your existing career as you gain experience.
As I mentioned before the career system was always one thing that I didn't like about the game. But this is personal taste and I know that it's one of the unique feature of the game - but that doesn't mean I have to like it ;)
Your suggestion to stay in one career is very good - and Zweihänder has an optional rule for it... :)
The King is dead! Long live the King!

Arioch1973

Post by Arioch1973 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 pm

It is kind of interesting, the career system is what helped me sell WFRP to my current player group, as they were all used to D&D, GURPs and other systems in which your character is kind of "static" in its development. They find it challenging and that it provides goals for their characters to do things, as they go from career to career. From there I have gotten them hooked on the setting itself.

Doctor Wu

Post by Doctor Wu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm glad C7 will base the game around 1st/2nd edition and setting it in the Enemy Within era rather than End Times/Storm of Chaos. I always liked how Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Warhammer Fantasy Battles explored to very different sides of the same setting; the battle game being about wars fought between nations and larger than life heroes and villains, while the RPG showed us the Empire from the viewpoint of commoners and small-time adventurers. The career system is such a great way to ground the characters in the world, making them participants in the day-to-day life of the Empire, rather than starting out as Paladins, Barbarians and Warlocks as so many other games do.

I hope we'll see some more information on this project soon. It's been close to five months since the game was announced, and there's been hardly any info about 4th ed since then.

Steelwind

Post by Steelwind » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 am

Allow me to rephrase my question, do you lovely folks foresee it being possible to play a White Lion, a Bright Wizard, a Dwarven Slayer, and the other classic archetypes and unique staples of the Warhammer Fantasy Old World (even if you dont necessarily begin the game as them)? Were these available in 1E or 2E?

Specifically I have one friend who is a huge fan of White Lions, and if you can play a White Lion this will be an instabuy for him.

As an aside, I believe there would be wisdom in tapping into the resurgence of interest that Total War: Warhammer has brought, it has been an overwhelming success and really rekindled the flames of Warhammer Fantasy and the Old World.